Criminal Damage At Bird Hides Reported To Police

Lower Moors bird hideThe Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust says an incident of criminal damage over the festive period has been reported to police after locks were smashed off doors at the Lower Moor bird hides.

Last week, the Trust decided to fit combination locks to both structures due to repeated littering and misuse.

They said anyone wanting legitimate use of them could obtain the code by calling the Trust office.

There have been several incidents of misuse this year and in October, the police increased evening patrols in the area after reports of beer cans and vomit being left in the hides.

Wildlife Trust staff say whoever is carrying out these acts “are spoiling the very place you live and disrespecting the people you live amongst.”

They’ve asked anyone with information to contact the police.

11 Responses to Criminal Damage At Bird Hides Reported To Police

1. Jeff Eastick January 6, 2016 at 12:05 am

Francis, if your comments reflect the reaction to criminal damage such as described here that you would pass on to your children , it is little wonder that such mindless vandalism occurs. Whoever the culprits are , it is hardly likely to assist in attracting the new visitors that your Islands need so badly.

2. Jack Daniels January 3, 2016 at 7:37 am

I’d like to know where the children are getting the alcohol from.

3. Francis January 2, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Stop picking on our Kids,lots of people consider what the WLT do to the Islands is Criminal Damage.
    (This is the elephant in the room.)

4. Jonny Exile January 2, 2016 at 9:39 am

Let me guess: this would have been the fate that awaited the ‘shelter’ up by the Icing that a group of children were demanding from the Council a year or so ago?

5. Another anonymous December 31, 2015 at 9:52 am

Presumably these ” children ” have parents somwhere – if the kids don’t care about their own behaviour perhaps those parents should ???

6. Colin Bean December 31, 2015 at 9:31 am

Funny how we call drunken louts “children” in order to soften their mindless (and illegal) actions. Stop pandering to them and let the individuals concerned take responsibility for their actions and the way they live their lives. I also believe that the parents must have an idea who these vandals are.
    if they want to trash something-that’s their decision, but stand by for the repercussions.
    Why the police haven’t caught anyone is beyond me-where there is a gathering point for younger humans involving drink, there will be trouble…simple.

• Richard January 5, 2016 at 9:19 pm

As I understand it, there are three full-time police officers on Scilly. If they were to watch these hides all the time, there would be no one left to deal with the rest of the islands. You have a large area for kids to hide in and very few police.

• Martin Condor January 6, 2016 at 11:00 am

Yes and there are only two possible access paths to the bird hides so a gentle stroll by a policeman from each end would have to be coordinated and scheduled in amongst drug raids and defeating the long running fuel theft syndicate and ensuring the badger cull can proceed lawfully.

• Virtuous January 7, 2016 at 8:09 am

Stop knocking the police for parents inability to bring their children up properly! If parenting was done properly then this sort of thing wouldn’t happen – islanders you only have yourselves to blame.

• Martin Condor January 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Virtuous, given that it IS happening it is not unreasonable that the population expect the police to react accordingly. Not every precept payer is a failed parent and criminal damage needs the attention of the police. Let’s be honest it should not be too difficult to deal with!

7. Anonymous December 30, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I don’t have any clue as to who did this, but I do know that children (aged 14-18) go to these bird huts to have parties and get completely drunk, as it is out of town (away from houses and police) and provides shelter from the weather. I am not at all surprised at this report, it’s bound to happen. All this group of kids think about is when their next drinking party will be and how much alcohol they’ll be able to get. Once in a while may be okay, I’m sure everyone did at some point when they were young, but certainly not to this extent.

It horrifies me to think of the way some of the youths on this island have become, what (aside from a damaged liver and a load of regrets the day after) do they gain from such excessive drinking? Not to mention the possibility that they may be taking drugs aswell…
    This behaviour needs to stop, for the beauty of the island and for the health of those kids, some of who will be under age.

I’m not saying that this issue is caused by those who I have just written about. However if it is, I’m sure the police aren’t completely clueless as to what goes on and it’s about time they stopped letting them get away with it and do something about it.

I would also like to say that I’m not accusing all the children (emphasis on the word children) in the age group I mentioned earlier, it is only a group of them who do what I described. There are a lot of wonderful, sensible children on these islands… I just hate seeing some of them wasting their precious childhood trying to act like ‘cool adults’.