Councillors Say No Casinos For Scilly

hugh town housesCouncillors have passed a resolution that effectively bans casinos from being opened in Scilly from the 1st January 2016.

The addition to the Council’s policy on gambling was suggested in September’s Licensing Committee meeting but needed to be ratified by the Full Council last week.

They felt that a casino would “not add to the ethos of the islands as a family tourist destination” and could have “a detrimental effect” on the visitor market.

It means any applications to open an establishment will be returned with a note saying that a ‘no-casino’ resolution is in place.

12 Responses to Councillors Say No Casinos For Scilly

1. Adam Morton, St.Martins December 17, 2015 at 9:06 pm

A real show of power from the council and show these hordes of would be casino applicants whose boss. This ranks highly along with the recent dog poo success!

2. Pete December 17, 2015 at 1:25 pm

The Council gambles with our money every day .

3. Ian T. December 17, 2015 at 11:39 am

A really sensible decision by the Council and for the right reasons.

• lambsy December 17, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Ian, you no longer live here so perhaps it really is time that you gave more of your attention to matters where you live?
      Why should we close the door to all casinos, perhaps one of the hotels might be helped to prosper by this type of discreet diversification? It doesn’t mean we have to have betting shops or some establishment lit up like a mini Las Vegas but it might bring some additional and different visitors to the Islands who otherwise wouldn’t come here. If they stay in our hotels or guest houses and visit all the other opportunities to spend in our economy whilst they are here surely we should at least consider welcoming them?
      It is always easier to doggedly just say no.

• JohnW December 21, 2015 at 3:15 pm

That’s a very interesting point of view lambsy. I was going to join the Definitely Not brigade, but thank you for your well-argued point. I’m now firmly in the On-the-one-hand-but-on-the-other camp…

• Ian T. December 21, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Lambsy (whoever you are) I wasn’t aware that one had to be an active resident to pass an opinion on Scilly matters. I can assure you that you would lose most of your visitors if you changed Scilly into a mini Las Vegas or Monte Carlo. Most people go to Scilly to get away from the.’modern world’..!

• Ewart December 21, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Ian T, If you are correct in your assumption that people wont to get away from the “modern world” why do they require all the “mod cons” expected into days hotels and guest houses !!
          When we stayed with the Sedgemans at Madura in the Strand , back in the late 1940’s we had hot water brought to us, in our bedrooms in jugs, to wash in the mornings the toilet was down the corridor.
          I do not think this would be acceptable in today’s world, do you??

Therefore if a casino brings revenue to an establishment why not??
          Life changes or it withers on the stem.

• lambsy December 21, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Yes Ian, but you decided to return to your so called “modern world” so make your point there!
          We don’t have to live in a museum for your convenience.
          Read my original response again I am NOT advocating a “mini Las Vegas” but equally I am not stuck in the mud of some idyllic Scilly past.

• Geoff Seasick December 22, 2015 at 11:00 am

Well Ian T (whomsoever you may be!) you might reflect on how stridently you are prone to advocating your views, you claim to have been a past resident and yet you chose to make your life on the mainland. Is it now right that you should pass judgement on how those of us who have invested our future on the Islands should choose to live? Would you welcome the opinions of Islanders on the merits of a betting shop or a planning development on your doorstep, where so ever you may live?

4. Bet 365 December 17, 2015 at 11:12 am

ooh but please can we have more gift shops!

5. Soutie December 17, 2015 at 10:20 am

… As a betting man, I’m getting a 4G phone for Christmas, so I can do it online! 😉

( http://www.scillytoday.com/2015/07/01/council-says-4g-network-could-be-available-by-christmas/ )

• Dutch Schultz December 17, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I bet my predicted staff savings of £300,00 in the black unfortunately my luck left me and I came £800,000 in the red! Never mind I spread my bet across all the charge payers.