Tributes Paid To Isles Of Scilly Guide Author

Luke Over MBE

Luke Over MBE

A former Scilly boatman has paid tribute to a much-loved visitor who published a number of books about Scilly.

John Hicks says he’s saddened by news of the news of death of Luke Over.

Mr Over passed away in November aged 84 years. Although he lived in Maidenhead, he came to the islands annually and made many friends here.

Luke wrote the 1993 guide, The Isles Of Scilly and authored books about the islands’ archaeology and kelp Industry. He was awarded an MBE in 1995.

John says he’ll remember him for his, “broad grin and mop of white hair” and the stories about Scilly’s history and archaeology that he shared when taking boat trips between the islands.

Luke’s funeral takes place at the High Street Methodist Church in Maidenhead from 1pm next Tuesday.

6 Responses to Tributes Paid To Isles Of Scilly Guide Author

1. John Nicholls December 6, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Sad to hear this news, my deepest sympathy to Mrs.Over. I have been friends with them for many years, even meeting with them one Christmas in Bridport, Mary’s home town. R.i.p. Luke, I also will miss that head of lovely white hair. Just remembered I saw them at Lands End airport this year. Thanks for info John.

2. Pauline December 4, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Sad news indeed. My husband and I shared many conversations with Luke over the years. He was a most interesting and knowledgable man but both modest and unassuming. Scilly has lost a friend and a real admirer of the islands and it’s people.

3. Jacky Trevivian December 4, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I am sorry to hear this sad news. I always enjoyed meeting up with both Luke and his wife over the years.

4. fran grottick December 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Luke was such a talented man and it was so interesting to hear about his research into various aspects of Scilly, including the cider industry on Tresco.He will be sadly missed.

5. Margaret Davis December 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Thankyou John for passing on the news. Luke was a good friend to the Isles of Scilly Museum in its early days, a lovely man and great ambassador for Scilly. He will be missed by his many friends and colleagues.

6. John Bourdeaux December 4, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Luke was such a nice gentleman whose annual visits were always looked forward to,
    An unpretentious kind and delightful man