New ‘Scilly Helicopter’ Company Name Registered

Steamship Company Offices in Penzance

Steamship Company Offices in Penzance

The Steamship Company has registered a new business – ‘The Isles of Scilly Helicopter Company.’

But they say that islanders shouldn’t read anything into that and it doesn’t mean that they are planning to launch a rotary route.

Yesterday locals noticed the new Companies House listing, which is registered to the Steamship Group’s Penzance office.

The website Google alerted people to the use of the word ‘Scilly’ in the name.

The Steamship Company’s press officer says that they have registered more than 30 dormant company and website names over the years to protect the group’s interests. These cover all aspects of transport, travel and freight to the islands.

It’s effectively a digital land-grab, with the company taking another batch of dormant, non-trading businesses names. They say this is “prudent housekeeping and standard practice for many businesses.”

22 Responses to New ‘Scilly Helicopter’ Company Name Registered

1. Lou simpson November 30, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Adam I have said that a all year round boat service would be amazing so please get off your high horse will you!! I’m talking of my own personal experience with skybus and my experience has been very good. For the last almost 2 years I’ve travelled back and forth sometimes every wk and more recent every 3rd wk and have only not been able to get back twice that’s my experience no one else’s. If we had no flying then I would need to leave the islands as most of the time for private reasons it wouldn’t be suitable for me to travel by sea.

• Adam Morton, St.Martins November 30, 2015 at 11:49 pm

No, you actually said “out of your mind”, ie rubbishing the notion that a sea service could be just as reliable at less cost! In the past it has been said that the boat subsidises the air service ,true or not I don’t know but hardly fair on those who need a cheaper option and choose the discomfort of the ferry to save a few quid !

• Lou Simpson December 1, 2015 at 12:35 am

I did not ever rubbish it Adam I just disagreed with Roger for saying to replace flying all together!! I’m speaking on behalf of myself and others that couldn’t possibly use the boat for reasons I would loveto not put on here. You speak a lot of sense Adam but I wish you could just think out of the box for a moment and realize travel by sea isn’t suitable for everyone. I feel live your atacting me and I don’t like or need it its my opinion like you have yours.

• Adam Morton, St.Martins December 1, 2015 at 8:56 am

I felt you were attacking the notion that an air service could be replaced by an adequate sea service. You know, the thought of a service that I can’t afford to use and doesn’t deliver the means to create a livelihood is as attractive to me as a boat trip to you!Just saying! “I need to think outside the box”! Is that the box that encompases Hugh Town and ends at the quay head?

2. Lou Simpson November 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Roger Ewe are you out of your mind!!

• Roger Ewe November 28, 2015 at 12:50 am

So you would prefer to have a fragmented, unreliable and expensive airline service rather than an all year round convenient boat service!

• Lou Simpson November 28, 2015 at 10:13 am

I think a all year round boat service would be amazing But for some people traveling by boat just isn’t suitable. My personal experience with using skybus has been very good and my life wouldn’t be very easy without them.

• Adam Morton, St.Martins November 30, 2015 at 11:22 am

So what are you going to do? We have an airport the Council says it cannot afford to run, A tourism industry decimated by high fare prices and unreliability. These costs are set to rise significantly against an already struggling backdrop. There are 2000 islanders and perhaps 70.000 visitors. Most islanders are on travel club so the company isn’t making a profit out of them.What does that tell you?
          Half the island’s visitors come here in six weeks of summer holidays yet we had 14 days no fly in August- The same at beginning of September the year before ,any guesses as to what that does to the credibility as a holiday destination? 44 days to make a living in and 14 of them disrupted! At the best possible time of year for a boat! You book an expensive air fare and get a free downgrade to a bumpy boat trip anyway! I expect many would simply book the boat except, oh look you can’t because there’s only one trip on an old boat without enough capacity! Forcing people to fly to keep the airport going is only any good if the plane flies, in my experience there is a 50% failure rate! Options; Do nothing and wait till we have only the Gry and perhaps an islander left, perhaps £2-3-400m to extend the runways to get cheap flights that still can’t go because of fog or spend £20-30m on some decent boats that you won’t need for half the year? I don’t think there is much that can be done to improve the air service but it could be supplemented with better sea service. We don’t need a ferry all the year round because few would use it but six seats on the GRY up to three time a week? Is that really the best we can do ?

3. Adrian J,G. Davis November 27, 2015 at 8:17 am

Well said Rogrer Ewe!
    I spoke with The Chairman and CEO of the IoSSCo. on just that idea at their open meeting at the Club some weeks ago.
    There are faster smaller vessels available with various hull forms which come under different maritime regulations than required by larger ferries. They would of course be constrained at times by weather conditions which is something we can never avoid However the journey would be faster +/- 90% of the time and with two (or more?) rather than the traditional single large ship it would be possible to build in more flexibility in the time table so facilitating a more joined up service.
    I envisage a (very) small fleet being operated as the aircraft are at present– responding to the very varied weather and demand across the whole year. That is Seabus partnering Skybus !

I was happy to hear that all options are being considered by the Board for the future.

4. Thomasina Cairns November 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm

To all you knockers of the ISSco try to imagine the scenario if the company folded ?
    How do you think would rush in to pick up the pieces ? Of course its not a perfect set up,
    there will always be situations to make people moan . For example; tides , winds, fog etc to name just a few . The ISSco have operated for the benefit of the islands & the islanders for over ninety years , if anyone is going to be expert in this field it is them.
    Of course they have to make a profit , every successful business must but before you all
    start replying that they have a monopoly etc ask yourselves why a large company like BIH
    pulled out ? Answer ; it wasn’t profitable any longer & they were not prepared to invest more money into the islands , so they cut & ran . At least ISSco are there for the long term . You all seem to forget that population wise you are only 2,000 people & how many of those are travelling on a regular basis ? Cuts are being made everywhere to public transport , especially here in Cornwall . Although I do not live on the islands now , I resided there for over 50 years so I can speak from some experience .
    Just be careful what you wish for when it’s change you are after . Remember the campaign to improve the council & get rid of Mr Hygate ?
    Need I say any more ?

• Adam Morton, St.Martins November 26, 2015 at 12:08 am

On the other hand, the costs are crippling the islands anyway and the SSco is the oft quoted excuse for why we can’t have any subsidy! you may also remember that the SSco were seemingly quite keen on the government intervention over the rout scheme whilst they had some competition from BIH. Now that BIH are no more, the situation is better for the SSco yet remains the same or worse for the people dependent on them.
      Yes there are cuts not least in visitor spending combined with increased expectations and rapidly increasing legislation obligations, the situation was never good and now its crunch time! Its not a case liking or loathing the SSco but what are we going to do about a serious economic problem. Visitor numbers are cut in half in a decade, even so at least they pay their own freight.Servicing their needs and providing for a staff to do it does not! People only wake up and take notice when its all gone. in 2013 on this island 100 people the Pub was bust ,the hotel closed, shop for sale ,boat service for sale. There are new and enthusiastic people on the block now but the situation that led to it is unchanged. If things fail again you won’t get another lot in.
      Lets have some suggestions on what we should do?

• Roger Ewe November 26, 2015 at 12:02 pm

How about we bin the air service completely and have 2 all year round boats that leave Penzance at 9am and 3pm and leave Scilly at 9am and 3pm.

• Nobby Nobbs November 27, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Couldn’t agree more Roger

• Snake Pliskin2 November 30, 2015 at 8:18 am

Roger Ewe:- What a great idea!? I guess you would never use skybus again if that happened and never complain that the boat was too rough. Yeah right I am sure you would!

5. Just me November 25, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Keep the competition at bay tresco putting the wind up them with talk of heli flying into them from Newquay that will be the end of St Mary’s airport for sure a lot of St Mary’s people will use it winter time if it all goes ahead bring it on Mr Robert

• Al Opecia November 25, 2015 at 11:48 pm

No no ‘Just me’ that couldn’t happen I cannot for one moment imagine that a councillor who runs his own island equipped with helicopter landing facilities to predominantly serve his exclusive business interests would countenance being any part of a committee determining the operational costs and future ownership of an airport that would be in direct competition for passengers with his own!
      You must be mistaken otherwise all sorts of questions might possibly spring to mind.
      I have absolute faith in Mr. ‘R’ and would tug my forelock if the good Lord had spared me from the baldness.

6. Sleuth88 November 25, 2015 at 3:07 pm

A bit of light research shows the following companies registered to the steamship company with Companies House:

ISLES OF SCILLY AIRWAYS LIMITED – 24 Nov 2015
    ISLES OF SCILLY TRANSPORT LIMITED – 24 Nov 2015
    ISLES OF SCILLY FREIGHT COMPANY LIMITED – 24 Nov 2015
    THE ISLES OF SCILLY HELICOPTER COMPANY LIMITED – 23 Nov 2015
    ISLES OF SCILLY TRAVEL LIMITED – 18 Dec 2014
    ISLES OF SCILLY SHIPPING COMPANY LIMITED – 12 Jan 2014
    ISLES OF SCILLY SKYBUS LIMITED – 23 Mar 1984
    ISLES OF SCILLY STEAMSHIP COMPANY LIMITED – 26 Mar 1920

Don’t see 30 random companies. Just see very specific things registered to Stuart Reid, the chartered accountant of the IOSSCo, who has been a busy boy this week:

7. Exploratory Eddie November 25, 2015 at 2:35 pm

if so, then is this the best use of resources for the IOSSCO?

Presumably it costs money to set up with companies house?

8. JT November 25, 2015 at 1:24 pm

So set up a competitor Soutie?

• Soutie November 25, 2015 at 3:09 pm

– ok!

9. Mrs E Windsor November 25, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Or The Isles of Scilly Monopoly PLC

10. Soutie November 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

Another name to register might be ‘ the isles of scilly strangle-hold company’ .