Police Warning Over Dangerous Animals On The Loose

Tolman Cafe has bought some rare animals as an attraction.

St Mary’s Police have contacted us to say that the cafe’s two raccoon dogs, which are normally penned in,  have escaped overnight.

Police say you should NOT approach the animals as they are dangerous.

They are the size of a Jack Russell terrier and have a raccoon’s head, but they could attack you if you get too near.

Please contact St Mary’s Police if you spot one.

Thursday 29th October 9am.

17 Responses to Police Warning Over Dangerous Animals On The Loose

1. RogerP November 8, 2015 at 3:40 pm

The only people that need a Zoo license is the Council. The amount of white elephants they have released on the Islands

2. Samantha L Goddard. November 2, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I personally hope you find Millie and get her back to a safe home. I believe that different species are a good think as it makes life more interesting as there is a new species. I can see all sides of these comments but if the vet says they aren’t dangerous then they most probably aren’t. good luck in the search.

3. Heike E Dorn November 1, 2015 at 5:42 pm

This is the vet: I have been bitten but it was not the first time in my professional career and it will not be the last time. The racoon dog was cornered by us and therefore was terrified and very frightened. Any domestic animal would do the same in this situation. Please everybody calm down. Racoon dogs are not specified as dangerous animals and do not need a licence. I assure you that the cats and dogs on the island are not endangered by Millie which is the second racoon dog and timid. If you see her please phone rightaway either Adam or me. Do not try to catch her yourself. She is confused and frightened. Her mate is calling for her incessantly.He wants her back. So do we.

4. Dr Dolittle October 31, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Regardless of the various opinions about the rights or wrongs of keeping these creatures for public display the real villain in this sad story is the person who trespassed on private property and maliciously released the animals.

5. Adam October 31, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Firstly they are raccon dogs.. Not raccoons, they are not governed by any law as they are classed as a dog, they can be kept as a household pet, and any are throughout the uk, check out the raccon dog society and get some actual knowledge, if you do your research most of these animals are kept in cages and have there fur ripped off whilst they are still alive, one of the them I rescued from a life in a cage and are slowly getting him tamer. The reason the vet got bit was that we were trying to catch him as he was stressed and had him in an rspca trap, a vet will often get but when handling even household dogs or cats and even rabbits, you do not need a zoo license to keep these animals, all the animsks we have at tolmans are allowed to be kept as household pets, so before people start getting all excited, maybe actually get the facts correct, our dogs (rCcoon dogs where let out by some idiot

6. Regular visitor for years October 31, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Folk on St Mary’s must be so worried for themselves and their pets with these dangerous animals on the loose. Why on earth did the proprietor of Tolmans feel the need to bring a wild menagerie over to beautiful Scilly? Why was it allowed? Did he need a license? Did he get it? I have always loved eating at Tolmans. Such good food and good service and wonderful views.No need for an extra exotic attraction which has no link with Scilly. I hope he feels a huge sense of remorse. I hope he is leading the search!

• St Mary's Resident November 1, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Folk on St Mary’s can stop worrying, a tiger is not on the loose, an animal the size of a badger was released by whoever it was that thought it would be funny, the ”proprietor” of tolmans thought this island has nothing for children to do, we’re not tourists, we live here all year so I think putting together this animal attraction is a great idea especially when quite a few of the animals are rescued so he’s not enclosing animals he’s actually improving there quality of life. The animals are all very happy in their templet enclosures, they will be even happier when the larger permanent ones are built, let’s not forget the reason he police were called is over the fact people trespassed and released these animals. Not because animals just ”got loose”

7. Pat Hayden October 31, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I had to take my cat to our Vet on the day she had been badly bitten helping to catch one of the escaped racoons and I was appalled at her injuries. I cannot thank her enough for caring for my cat despite her own problems. I hope the second animal can be recaptured without anyone else being bitten. I understand that the EU is bringing in legislation to ban racoons being kept as pets after several escaped in Germany and caused no end of problems.

• Pete October 31, 2015 at 6:41 pm

She is a very caring person,to all animals. We are so lucky to have her on Scilly.

8. Malcolm Martland October 31, 2015 at 8:36 am

I agree entirely with Pam, unless part of a conservation program I do not agree with wild animals being kept in captivity anywhere, but especially on Scilly.

9. Carrot October 31, 2015 at 7:14 am

How stupid can you be? These animals should never have been allowed to brought here. First of all I agree with Pam, these are wild animals so shouldn’t be caged, second now they are loose they will eat most insects and small animals which are resident on Scilly.

Almost dim witted as the people who brought hedgehogs over.

We need some controls in place when bringing animals to these islands.

• Nobby October 31, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I agree, a hedgehog cull would bring the community together

• Ian T. November 3, 2015 at 10:33 am

I hope you are not serious Nobby. Hedgehogs are becoming an endangered species on the mainland.and rarely seen. If they have become too numerous on St Mary’s then I suggest you ship them back here too eat some of thousands of slugs brought about by the weather this year.

• Linda Badcock November 3, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I am prepared for night patrol to protect the two that have hibernated in my front and back garden over a couple of years ,my tongue is in my cheek.
          Obviously do not know if they are the same two, but I welcome any hedgehog that will gobble up slugs that decimate my attempt to grow food and beautiful flowers. Cannot understand why anyone would deliberately release animals who then have to fend for themselves but I guess it takes all sorts with different views on animal captivity.

• Miriam Dermot November 4, 2015 at 8:42 am

Of course he’s serious, they’ve taken to hibernating in phone boxes over here and an unsuspecting bird weather opened the door to one last week to phone home and 437 that were stacked up inside fell out, the poor fellow was in danger of being pricked to death, think on that!

• Mat October 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Presumably the proprietor of the premises where the animals are kept has a Zoo Licence issued by the local authority which states among other things that the animals should be securely housed.

10. Pam October 30, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I for one do not like caged animals and feel it is an unsuitable place, on Scilly, to have them – many people do not like animals in captivity these days – conservation is the appropriate approach.

I think the animal ‘collection’ up at Mount Todden is also not suitable for the animals it contains.