Data Shows Scilly One Of Least Deprived Areas

hugh town housesNew figures show Scilly is one of the least deprived areas in England.

Data just released by the Department for Communities and Local Government show the islands ranked 242nd out of all 326 Local Authorities in the country.

The rank is based on a number of factors including income, employment, education, health, crime, housing and the environment.

Torbay was the most deprived area in the South West, coming in at 46, while only East Devon had a lower score than Scilly, ranking 246th in the table.

Nationally Manchester was the most deprived area.

Scilly has improved significantly from 2010, the last time the data was published, when we were 134th in the index.

9 Responses to Data Shows Scilly One Of Least Deprived Areas

1. Ian T. October 17, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Can someone explain in simple terms what ‘deprived’ or, for that matter, what ‘child poverty’ really means? As a household with an income below the ‘national average’ am I deprived – I think not! I don’t have a smart phone, Ipad, smart TV, 4×4 car, Levi 501s, etc. but I’m happy and content with my lot. I donate about 10% of my income to various charities and have never received any ‘benefits’ – sorry, I do have a free TV licence and the winter fuel allowance. No doubt there will be some who think I’m being naive but I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Remember, life is what you make it.

• U.R. Smug October 17, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Life is what you make it you say, very true unless you’re a child living in poverty, some one unemployed through no fault of their own, a young couple on Scilly with little prospect of being housed….the list could continue ad infinitum.
      I delighted that your pay your tithe but do remember:
      Matthew 6:1 (NKJV) “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
      I wouldn’t dream of calling you naive.but several other monikers spring to mind.

• Ian T. October 19, 2015 at 2:31 pm

U.R. Smug – You seem to have missed the point. I symapthise greatly with your homeless, jobless couple on Scilly but it is not a problem exclusive to the islands and, going by the report, must be less of a problem than many other places in the UK including Torbay and Plymouth here in Devon.
        I do not give to charity to be seen doing so. I give because I can afford to out of my income and was certainly not trying to say how wonderful I am or seek a reward in heaven. My reward is knowing that I have done a bit to help those less fortunate than myself.

• Uriah Heep October 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Ian,

I thought about it for a time but decided that I couldn’t make it simple enough to meet your needs.
      I am sure that we all know people who deserve and receive benefits, make sure you don’t hurt yourself on your dismount from that high horse.

2. Pete October 15, 2015 at 10:20 am

Tell that to the young people who want to set up a family home. Since 2010 transport reduced. More property sold as second homes, more property converted to holiday accommodation. Wages have virtually remained static. Government figures a load of bunkum.

• Adam Morton, St.Martins October 17, 2015 at 10:53 am

Agree except that its been going on a lot longer than 2010!

3. Ewart October 12, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Q.E.D. stands for Quod Erat Demonstrandum, a Latin translation of the phrase with which Euclid concluded most of his proofs. It means “what was to be proved” and signifies the proof has been concluded.

Dare I say, no more funding by the EU or Government .
    No need increase Town Hall staff by a further 6 employees and every good reason to reduce senior staffing levels.
    It has now been proven you are not a deprived area, time to stand on your own feet.

4. John Calculus October 12, 2015 at 9:25 am

I realise that scillytoday is trying to report ‘good’ news stories about Scilly, but I would expect some simple journalistic standards to apply. As always with these data (crime rate, et al), it must be remembered that Scilly, with a population of around 2,000, is such an atypical authority that it is difficult to compare it to other authorities. East Devon, mentioned in the piece, has a population of around 140,000. The next smallest authority to Scilly is the City of London at around 11,000 population – this too will be atypical for obvious reasons and very unlike Scilly. Orkney has a population of around 20,000 – but again is likely to be atypical but, perhaps, similar to Scilly. A ‘small’ local authority typically has around a population of 40-50,000 people. In this matter I would refer you to Mr Disraeli’s comment.

• Andy Hargreaves October 12, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Hi John.

In reply to your comment, the deprivation data is based on mainly 2011 census data, in so-called “small areas” or more exactly “Lower-layer Super Output Areas” of which there are 32,844 in England. They are designed to be of a similar population size with an average of 1,500 residents each and are a standard way of dividing up the country. These are amalgamated to form Local Authority areas etc. So the data is, with the usual caveats, comparable.

You can see the data sets here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/english-indices-of-deprivation-2015

Best regards