Tabloids Highlight Scilly’s Low Crime Rate

colin taylorScilly’s comedy copper is getting the islands and Devon and Cornwall Police publicity in the tabloids again.

This time, the Daily Mirror has praised Sergeant Colin Taylor for his “hilarious” take on policing the islands.

Colin has used his Isles of Scilly Police Facebook page to thank criminals for their restraint in not committing crimes so he can focus on working with pupils at the Five Islands School.

He reports that there’s only been one theft, fuel taken from Pendrathen, in the last three weeks.

And the newspaper has quoted Colin’s reference to the practice of piling up towers of rocks and stones on the islands’ beaches.

Sgt Taylor discusses one of the rock stacks on St Martin’s. “Once I zoned out the discomfort of sitting in the lotus position on rocks it helped me find my centre,” he writes.

And to underline our low crime rate, the Daily Mirror’s website has used a photograph of the St Mary’s police team with the caption: “These police haven’t had much crime to deal with of late.”

10 Responses to Tabloids Highlight Scilly’s Low Crime Rate

1. Peter October 11, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Youngish Local: OK. I will. Bye.

2. Jane Hurd October 7, 2015 at 7:39 pm

In reply to Peter, I wonder how he can judge if he’s never looked at the Facebook posts. I have no complaints about the policing here, it has always been carried out in a professional and effective way. It’s no good waving the big stick around if you want the community as a whole behind you, and without this no police force would get anywhere! If a little levity can be introduced, why not? And it has certainly done more than anything else to advertise the islands around the world. No one will please everyone all the time, but the result is we have a relatively crime free environment and an accessible police force. And one that enforces the law.

• Peter October 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Jane: how can I judge if I’ve never looked at Bookface? I read the descriptions on here. That will do for me. But I’ve now just looked and I am more shocked than I expected. Amidst the serious and worthwhile stuff, e.g. updates on the search for Josh on Tresco, there is all sorts of inappropriate stuff, e.g. opinions on rugby, pidgin German, to-and-fro banter with his worldwide admirers, responses to requests for job swaps, a photo of Harold Wilson. He is clearly well liked by his many admirers, but that’s not the point. Either all this is being done during his working hours, which is a waste of public money (and begs the question “does Devon and Cornwall Police believe this is appropriate use of public money?”. I suspect the answer is “yes” – see my initial post), or he’s doing it in his own time, in which case he should be doing so as a private citizen. Yes, the police officer has indeed advertised the islands around the world… as being a joke. He seems to be telling the world he can be paid just to sit around on a beach because there is no crime in Scilly, when, without repeating my earlier post, there is, and some of it is serious.

• Peter October 8, 2015 at 4:10 pm

A further point: I’ve just looked some more at the Bookface page in question. On 24 May there is a series of back-and-forth comments between readers and the police officer re an item about Sunday parking on some streets in St Mary’s being an offence. A contributor expresses sympathy re the amount of paperwork this must create for the police officer, whose response is “It takes 30 to 45 mins per ticket… 10 mins on the street then a further 20 to 30 at the station. That’s time we are not out patrolling and safeguarding the young and vulnerable. Colin”. Anything else the officer does, maybe, that is “time we are not out patrolling and safeguarding the young and vulnerable”? I rest my case.

• Jane Hurd October 9, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Peter, what is your problem with humour? As you say, there is serious & worthwhile stuff on as well, so can’t you enjoy a bit of banter as much as anyone else? And if you read it thoroughly you’ll see that 9 times out of 10 there’s a point being made. Anyway, who are you? Let’s have your full name and have a sensible debate at some time!

• Peter October 9, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Jane: I have no problem with humour. Policeman is policeman, comedian is comedian. Policeman is paid by the public to do policing, comedian is paid by private individuals to make them laugh. I have no gripe with the quality of policing in Scilly and I’m sure the officer is a very nice chap and is clearly witty and amiable. My gripe is with his use of time. I do note that he sometimes uses a witty opening comment to hook people into a serious and appropriate issue. I disagree with your view that nine times out of ten an appropriate point is being made. Amidst the banter with readers worldwide it’s much less than that. With regard to who I am, I get quite worried about the calls on here for abandoning anonymity. I think some people on here are naive about the dangers of the Internet. It’s not just decent people from Scilly reading this but all kinds of potentially dodgy people worldwide. And, anyway, there is an argument for anonymity allowing more open expression. So, no, I won’t be disclosing my name or location.

• Young(ish) local October 11, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Colin has already said in the past that any facebook posting is done in his own ‘off time’ so who’s time is he waisting? His own? Or maybe well done Colin and thank you for using your own valuable time to keep us up to date with such matters in a light hearted way?
            Maybe stop waisting so much of your own time peter?

3. Jeff Eastick October 7, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Just seen Peter’s comments re Colin Taylor’s Facebook activity (a foreign subject to me as well . Peter), but whatever your thoughts on this subject , no one should be afraid of our Police officers in the sense you seem to imply.

• Peter October 7, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Jeff: yes, fair point. Perhaps the wording should have been “have respect for” or “wary of”.

4. Peter September 30, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Not being a facebook user, I wouldn’t want to or know how to read the police officer’s comments, but why is Devon and Cornwall Constabulary allowing or encouraging this holder of public office to turn the serious matter of policing – amidst recent cases, all reported here, of public urination, alleged sexual assault, boat fuel theft, vandalism, drunken driving, possession of cannabis, drunken late night disturbances of the peace, burglary of the Co-op etc etc – into a joke? Or is this the new friendly face of policing, here to be your mate, not to enforce the law? How are wrong-doers supposed to take this man seriously? There’s certainly no prospect of people being afraid of the police. On a more general theme, why is it that people have to be “liked” these days? In our professional roles, we are not paid to be liked, but to get our jobs done properly. And yes, it helps if we can do that good naturedly, but that’s not the same as “look at me, aren’t I funny, please like me, oh, and by the way, you’re nicked… if that’s OK with you”. If I were living in Scilly, I’d be very frightened to think that my local police officer claims to be meditating on a beach when there are crimes to be prevented and investigated, of which he apparently denies knowledge, if the Mirror is quoting him accurately. I don’t think any of the crimes listed above are funny.