Two Golf Buggy Drivers Arrested For Alleged Drink Driving

police landrover backTwo golf buggy drivers have been arrested for alleged drink driving on St Mary’s.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says both drivers, who were visitors to the islands, were pulled over by the Police whilst driving between Hugh Town and Old Town at around 10.30pm on Friday 11th September.

The two drivers failed a roadside breathalyzer test and were taken back to the police station to give a sample of blood.

They were bailed to a police station in Exeter for a date in late October, pending the results of the analysis of their blood.

Sergeant Taylor says this is the first time he’s arrested two alleged drink drivers in one go and it was complex to manage both at once.

He wants to remind islanders and visitors that drink drive rules apply to golf buggies, quads and other motor vehicles and pointed out that there have now been 11 arrests for the offence in Scilly over the last 18 months.

Colin says this emphasises why the islands’ police need “to spread themselves more widely than just the drag up and down from the quay to Holgate’s Green.”

He says, “that un-proactive and unimaginative style of policing can resume under someone else’s stewardship if they so choose” and he’s concerned to safeguard from harm from drink drivers on the roads and prevent and detect crime.

Later that same evening, police officers also issued a £90 ticket for drunk and disorderly conduct to a man found urinating in an alleyway near the quay.

10 Responses to Two Golf Buggy Drivers Arrested For Alleged Drink Driving

1. Jeff Eastick October 2, 2015 at 7:24 pm

If there is anyone still interested , if it had been reported as Mungojerrie , there would have been no cause for confusion.

• Soutie October 2, 2015 at 10:31 pm

You’re right Jeff!

2. Jeff Eastick October 2, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Of course you are probably correct ,Soutie , but at least we have given ‘a Local’ a couple of avenues to explore.

3. Jeff Eastick September 30, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Reference Mungo Jerry , see words to ‘In The Summertime’ , circa 1970.

• Soutie October 1, 2015 at 7:07 am

Surely he means TS Elliot’s cat?

4. a local September 27, 2015 at 9:07 am

Sgt Taylor blaming Mungo Jerry is hilarious.

Perhaps Mungo Jerry, whoever he is, should be the ones to pay the fines then ?

5. mainland visitor September 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm

All very confusing.

From the national press I quote :-

‘Blame Mungo Jerry’

Sgt Colin Taylor, from St Mary’s Police, said: “Two members of the public contacted police to report erratic driving of two hire buggies by persons clearly in celebratory mood.”

The alleged offence took place at around 22:00 BST on 13 September but details have only now emerged.

“Personally, I blame Mungo Jerry,” he said.

From Scilly Today I quote:-

So just out of interest, was it the 13th or was it the 11th ?

Seems Mungo Jerry has a lot to answer for.

6. scillysergeant September 26, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Ewart,
    The papers got this wrong. They made the assumption that the carts were buggies as if just driven off the 18th hole. The buggies in question were Motor Vehicles and thus legislated for under the 1988 Road Traffic Act and not the 1872 Licensing Act (which never-the-less also applies on Scilly although parts of it are archaic and impractical to enforce).
    The date of the incident was Friday 11th and not the 18th as reported and I am additionally perplexed where the Red Tops have found me stating that this is a “Growing Menace”. Were I to have marked the national papers content as if it were their homework I would have given it a generous “7/10 Could Do Better”.
    Sgt Colin Taylor

• Ewart September 27, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Thank you Sgt Taylor for responding to my comments. I could not understand the reference to the 1872 act, if the buggies were regulated to run on the highways.
      I do not think,I would be as generous as you were in giving 7/10, perhaps 3/10 would be closer !!
      Returning to the Licencing Act of 1872 this act was before the Council of the Isles of Scilly was created, it did not come into being until 1890. Unless there was an Isles of Scilly Order made, to have the Act applied the Islands.I have difficulty in seeing how the Act or sections of the Act can be applied.

7. Ewart September 24, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Reading an article in the Western Morning News, that the charge was under the 1872 licencing act. It would be interesting to know if this act ever applied to the Isles of Scilly,as in many acts they only applied if the Isles of Scilly were actually named in the act.
    So as to allay any misunderstanding I do not condone driving while over the legal limit.