Council Tight Lipped On Porthmellon Water Measures

porthmellon innovation centre Aug 2015The Council won’t say what measures they’ve installed in their new Porthmellon Innovation Centre to allow the reuse of rainwater.

Last November, councillors rejected a request by the project manager to remove a planning condition that stated water harvesting had to be incorporated in the scheme.

This was originally planned to be a tank, sunk into the ground that captured water for use in activities like flushing toilets.

It was designed to reduce the amount of water used in the building, but engineers ran into problems with that approach.

At the time, Council Chairman Amanda Martin said she couldn’t support removing the measures, because the Authority had to “lead by example.”

Only a few months earlier in August last year, the Council had imposed a hosepipe ban on St Mary’s residents because water supplies were too low.

The refusal meant a replacement for the proposed water harvesting measures needed to be found before the building could be occupied.

It’s not opened yet, even though councillors were told the £1.5m work unit and office facility would be ready in April.

Now officers won’t reveal which water harvesting measures, if any, have actually been installed.

Radio Scilly has contacted the Council’s Press Office three times over the past week but we’ve had no response or acknowledgment of our questions.



5 Responses to Council Tight Lipped On Porthmellon Water Measures

  1. Jeff Eastick August 21, 2015 at 9:15 am

    Dear Drifter, you obviously do not appreciate the irony in the very tongue in cheek comments from Mr.Smith.
    Try reading his comments again.

  2. Ewart Less August 19, 2015 at 11:31 pm

    Persevere, you will flush out the truth eventually. Who knows perhaps one of our elected members will demand an answer and stand their ground until they get one.

  3. Drogheda Drifter August 19, 2015 at 9:33 pm

    You expect the press office of a local authority is on holiday so they can’t reply????!Jeez. Give me a break! If a LA press office closes entirely when one or two people are away then your L.A is in more trouble than the people who work there tell me it is. An authority should not be like a one-man band lock-up shop that can flick the sign to gone fishin’! This beggars belief.

  4. Stephen Smith August 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

    Aww, give em a break – I expect the press office is just on holiday, and there is a perfectly reasonable reason as to why the opening has been delayed – this is a million pound plus flagship project for the council after all, fully option appraised, project planned and market tested.

    There is no way professional officers would disregard planning conditions or indeed the express wishes of councillors, certainly not the chairman’s, especially in these times of water vigilance. I have no doubt someone from the council’s planning or development departments will be in touch touti-suite to set the record straight.

  5. Just me August 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm

    No leaks there then looks like a big white elephant to me