Residents Without Cars Save In The Long Term Says Council

moorwell dump with truckResidents without cars are having to pay higher fees to dispose of bulky waste. But they shouldn’t grumble because they’re saving money by not owning a car.

That’s the Authority’s official line, put forward by Infrastructure Officer Helen Pearce at last week’s Full Council debate on waste charges.

Cllr Gordon Bilsborough asked why taking rubbish to the dump in his own car doesn’t incur a charge, because it’s classed as domestic waste.

But asking the carriers to take that same rubbish means he has to pay for their services as well as a fee to dispose of the waste.

Helen told Gordon that as soon as residents pay someone to collect their rubbish it becomes commercial waste and has to be charged.

But she says those people are saving money by not running a car and have to expect to pay costs elsewhere, such as asking a haulier to take their waste away.

Helen said the Council could introduce a bulky waste collection service in the future for residents who can’t do it themselves, but it’s a low priority at the moment.

21 Responses to Residents Without Cars Save In The Long Term Says Council

1. Sandra Kyne August 11, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Genuine question….not trying to be sarcastic or make any kind of point just would like to know….
    Off islands/Adam …do you have to use the commercial waste sacks for your business packaging/card rubbish or pay for the collection in some other way?

• Adam Morton, St.Martins August 11, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Hi Sandra, Yes we use grey prepaid waste sacks. Bottles & cans were charged up till this spring but are now apparently free! All waste is sorted into at least three basic categories as it has been for the past 20 years or so.

2. Mrs E Windsor August 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I’m just going to start burning everything
    or dig a big hole in the garden and bury it

3. Ewart August 10, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Islanders’ without transport, do they not have a Neighbour or Friend who could take thier bulky waste to the tip, thus avoiding a commercil vechile? Or have the Inhabitants become so insular that they cannot help a fellow human being.
    If as I suspect, this cuold be the case (pull up the ladder Jack I am ok) do not help any one
    else save me. Then I am certain the Council must have a tractor and trailor tha could carry out the task without delay. There has to be someone in the Council with time on thier hands doing nothing, taking into account 10% or there abouts of the population are employed by the Conncil.

• Trevor Jones August 10, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Don’t forget the number plate is recorded each visit to limit the number of trips per private car so helping your neighbour could limit your own opportunity to dispose of waste, presumably commercial vehicles will be excluded from delivering domestic waste as they are on the mainland so families who operate a van for all purposes or those who have use of a company van will be turned away?

4. pete August 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm

No car, do not eat, do not wear clothes. Create no waste. How much money can we save Helen. What a load of clap trap you come out with.

5. Adam Morton, St.Martins August 10, 2015 at 11:27 am

So trade waste taken there in private cars can be passed off as domestic? Yet domestic waste carried there in commercial vehicles is trade waste?

• Jonny Exile August 10, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Yep. ” As soon as you’re paying someone to collect your rubbish it’s becoming commercial” I can see Helen Pearce starting to be a problem.

• Ian T. August 10, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Helen is not becoming a ‘problem’. She is just quoting the same rules as apply on the mainland.

• Sue M August 10, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Yes but Ian you’re missing the point. Most councils on the mainland provide several free pick-ups of bulky waste (like an old washing machine) each year as part of the Council Tax charge. That doesn’t happen here. So we don’t get the services we’re paying for AND we get charged extra. Double whammy…

• PHJ August 10, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Sue M
            Please tell me where are these councils on the mainland that will collect household items free?
            This service is long gone. For example our local council charges £38.60 per item.

• Nathalie August 10, 2015 at 7:06 pm

PHJ, our local council (Lambeth) offers residents up to 10 bulky waste collections per annum. Whilst it’s no longer free, it’s only £20 per collection for up to 4 items. I imagine that this works out a little cheaper than the cost of a haulier and the commercial waste fee.

• PHJ August 10, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info. Nathalie. As I wrote in my initial comment, most councils charge for bulky waste removal, as indeed does Lambeth who are to revise their costings.

• Nathalie August 10, 2015 at 10:26 pm

My my, you’re quite the researcher. Thankfully I haven’t had to use our bulky waste collection since they began charging because most retailers of white goods offer a service whereby they’ll take away whatever you’re replacing… washing machines, fridges etc. I don’t think John Lewis et al extend this option to Scilly.

• PHJ August 10, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Stig
            Thanks for your input. I repeat and refer you to my original comment which was that most councils on the mainland charge for bulky item removal. You, as well as Nathalie seem to be proving my point.

• PHJ August 11, 2015 at 11:55 am

Thanks for your comment, Nathalie. No research needed so no need for the sarcasm. Still not addressed my original comment but I commend you for the attempt at changing tack.

• Silly Me August 10, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Ian,
          you no longer live here and your understanding of our issues hasn’t increased in your absence, go and deal with your own problems they deserve more of your time.

• Stig August 10, 2015 at 9:04 pm

PHJ Cornwall Council will collect up to four bulky waste items for £22 and large bulky items for £35 so although not free considerably cheaper than being obliged to hire a haulier.

• Ian T. August 11, 2015 at 9:11 am

Don’t know who you are, ‘Scilly me’ but you seem to have some sort of difficulty with my input to Scilly Today. As a former resident and a visitor for over 50 years, I still have an interest in the islands well-being and, despite what you say, try to present an unbiased detached view of the issues raised.

• Trevor Jones August 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm

How do commercial customers pay for their bulky trade waste on the off islands Adam?

• Adam Morton, St.Martins August 10, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Not having a “bulky trade”, I can’t say Trevor. Mine is unfortunately nearly all cardboard & packaging ,tins & bottles ! In fact its looking quite good with now no charge for glass & cans but then St.Marys businesses were just putting them in the bottle banks! Now it seems that they can simply put them in a private car and take it round for free!