Islands’ Builders Need To Deal With Their Own Waste Says Council
Cllr Fran Grottick was speaking at Tuesday’s Full Council meeting, were members voted to suspend dealing with construction waste.
In a written report, Infrastructure Manager Helen Pearce said the move was necessary to allow the site to be redeveloped as a recycling centre.
Fran said there had been “no fair warning” for construction firms and they could have quoted for future jobs based on the current system for dealing with the waste.
But Helen said building firms had been called to a meeting six weeks ago and that they understood why this was being done.
The move is part of a wider plan to get more islands’ businesses dealing with their own waste rather than relying on services provided by the Council.
Cllr Robert Dorrien Smith, the Chairman of the Transport, Economic Development and Infrastructure Committee, which manages refuse, told the meeting that there were lots of things that builders could do to reduce their waste, such as crushing it for reuse as aggregate.
And he said senior officers had been in touch with Duchy and had identified three possible sites where local firms can do their separation and crushing.
He said they now needed to ensure that one of those gets the necessary licences.
Robert added it could be operated by a consortium of firms and didn’t need to be under Council control.
In May, the Environment Agency granted a licence to Mulciber Ltd for building waste to be processed at Pendrethen Quarry. But the Council said planning permission or a Lawful Development Certificate will still be required for the work to begin.
Senior Infrastructure Manager Craig Dryden said the Council needed to have incentives for the islands’ commercial sector to manage their own waste streams.
That included landscape gardeners and hotel restaurants, who could create compost from the waste they produce, he said.