Police Warning Over Boat Fuel Thefts On St Mary’s

boats in harbour 2Police are warning boat owners on St Mary’s to keep an eye out for thieves who have stolen fuel from two boats in the past week.

They’ve targeted private, rather than commercial vessels. One was on a mooring while another was on dry land

Sergeant Colin Taylor says the theft doesn’t amount to a great deal in financial terms but it could have potentially dangerous consequences.

One affected boat owner set off and his engine cut out in the harbour, so he managed to get back safely. It could have been a serious situation if that had happened further out to sea.

Colin says it’s not clear when these thefts occurred and he says he’s very reliant on local people reporting what they see.

He’s asked anyone spotting any suspicious activity to report the incident immediately on 999 or 101, rather than wait until the next day.

Colin says if they catch the thief, the charge will be theft from a vehicle.

7 Responses to Police Warning Over Boat Fuel Thefts On St Mary’s

1. Jeff Eastick August 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Without knowing details of the problem in question , your response to such a statement from an anonymous ‘guest’ would seem to be considered and polite , Colin, as one would expect.

2. Sgt Colin Taylor August 1, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Guest,

It is self evident to me what you are most likely referring to. I would be more than happy to discuss with you at how the matters I suspect you have in mind were dealt with and were dealt with swiftly at the time in accordance with the express wishes of the victims. Indeed to have managed the matters differently would have run counter to the desires of the victims at that time. I respect that views may have changed since but that was done after we effected what was asked of us at the time.

I am available at the police station this evening on 422444 and whilst your anonymity makes it difficult to consider a candid conversation with you I will do my best if you wish to maintain that stance.

Sgt Colin Taylor

3. guest August 1, 2015 at 12:58 pm

and there may be even more reports if the victims of crime weren’t treated like the criminals whilst the burglars and shop lifters get off scot free.

• Arthur August 1, 2015 at 7:30 pm

What a strange thing to say?

4. scillysergeant August 1, 2015 at 11:54 am

In the 24 hours since this article went out there have been a further two reports of fuel theft from boats in the harbour. Additionally I have had unconfirmed reports of yet more thefts of both petrol and canisters across St Mary’s and another island.

I will be personally reviewing the security of fuel and my engine on my boat and I encourage others to do the same. Fuel theft is not a new trend but there does appear to be an increase in frequency of this type of offending at present. We are altering our patrolling accordingly. If caught we will be taking positive action against offenders.

If your suspicions are aroused by activity you witness I strongly encourage you to call 101 or 999 and report what you are witnessing so that one of us can go and witness it first hand for ourselves.

• Island August 2, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Is it worth upgrading the cameras on the quay? I realise you can’t cover the entire harbour, and of course CCTV is the last thing we want covering Scilly.. but it might act as a great deterrent, as well as identifying some of the idiots that are wrecking our precious little rocks!

• Richard August 3, 2015 at 9:20 pm

My guess, FWIW, is that the definition of the cameras wouldn’t be high enough to get facial details of a theft out in the moorings. It would certainly be difficult to tell who was refuelling their boat and who was stealing the fuel. Good luck Colin and co.