St Mary’s Harbour Works – June 12th
Here’s the weekend update from Alan at St Mary’s Harbour.
The shed used for temporary waiting room storage has now been decommissioned. All the bits and pieces have been moved to the temporary waiting room at the southern end of the building. This includes the DEFIBRILLATOR. The shed will be removed in the coming week.
The Harbour Office is now situated downstairs, immediately below the original one. Work to refurbish the original office will start on Monday. BBS remain on site working inside the building on the Harbour office, luggage store and staff accommodation.The luggage store is still on schedule to open on 19th June.
You are reminded of the need not to park vehicles on the quay. Some people have taken to parking on Old Quay which is strictly forbidden. Please only bring vehicles onto the quay if you have a quay permit and only for pick-up/drop-off.
CRUISE SHIPS This coming week we have three ships booked: The Island Sky (4200gt) on both Saturday and Wednesday, and the Hanseatic (8378gt) on Thursda
Concreting works to secure the first layer of blocks continues. They will pour tonight until 0000 after which divers need to secure more metalwork over Saturday daytime. Pouring will continue on Sunday which will hopefully complete the phase.
· On Sunday the Stemat barge carrying blocks will come back to the work site from the moorings at Nut Rock. Subject to the completion of the concrete works, laying the second layer of blocks will start early next week.
· The JML 35 barge remains on a mooring at Nut Rock with its cargo of stone.
· The dive platform has now been extended and is being stored on a mooring within the Harbour.
· Tugs Indus & Vulcan 2 will remain in Scilly throughout the week to assist with operations. The tug Polmear will remain in St Mary’s to assist the berthing/un-berthing of the Scillonian III & Gry Maritha
· The landing craft Arromanches returned to the Islands last Wednesday carrying a load of cement for the project.
· The concrete pouring for the quay extension has used all staff resources over the last week. Upon completion work will continue on the buildings as follows:
· The breakout and laying of the foundation slab for the new chiller/freezer will continue.
· The cladding for the new ticket office is on the Island and work will start next week to fit.
· Block work for the new freight office is underway as is the concreting of the new floor. Work will continue in this area throughout the week
· The steel work for the balcony is due on the Island towards the end of the coming week