Second World War Flare Discovered On St Agnes

st agnesA bomb disposal team has detonated a Second World War flare on St Agnes.

It was uncovered on Wednesday morning by islanders working on the joint Duchy and Environment Agency scheme to reinforce dunes at Periglis.

They are shoring-up the sea defences following last year’s storms.

The device had been buried deep in the sand and was spotted in the bucket of a digger being driven by islander Tom Smith.

Following the discovery, the area was cordoned off while islanders waited for the bomb squad to travel from Plymouth down to RNAS Culdrose.

They landed their Sea King on Perlglis Meadow by the old tennis court just after 3pm.

Thirty minutes later, a group of islanders watched and heard the controlled explosion from the safety of the balcony of the new St Agnes Island Hall.

Other locals tying flowers in a nearby shed and painting a cottage less than 300 yards away were said to be “left shaking in their shoes” when the device went off.

The plume of smoke that rose from the bank could be seen right across the islands.

The flare was US-labelled and St Agnes Coastguard Mike Hicks says it’s unclear how it got into the sand. He suggests that it might have become entangled in seaweed after washing ashore.

Mike says it was fortunate that the workers noticed it, as the Bomb Disposal Team say that the phosphorous flare was live.