Islanders And Visitors Give Their Views On Policing In Scilly

police station 3Islanders and visitors have shared their views on Scilly’s policing priorities. They want less time spent on issues related to vehicles speeding and parking, and more police visibility.

Child protection, preventing vandalism and dealing with drugs and domestic abuse are ranked highly, too.

Sergeant Colin Taylor asked his Facebook and Twitter followers to rank 13 areas of police work in importance as part of the poll, posted on the Police Team’s Facebook page.

The survey received 440 responses, with 20% of the respondents, 88 people, living locally and 80% from the mainland. 46% of those were regular visitors.

And the results reveal that regular visitors and locals share the same views on policing concerns, but locals did want more foot patrols in the day.

But surprisingly the perennial issues of dog poo and litter were less important in the respondents’ views.

Colin feels this might reflect the fact that people don’t want the local police to prioritise these areas over what they see as more important issues.

Sgt Taylor says child protection work, the number one priority in the survey, is very much a focus for his team, but he feels most people don’t see the amount of time spent on such work.

He says just taking a bottle of vodka off a child in the evening can take several hours of police time, including talking to the youngster, going to see their parents and then writing up the report.

Colin says the police are also spending more time this year on dealing with petty theft like the taking of bikes and vandalism, as well as spending much more time walking the beat during the day.

8 Responses to Islanders And Visitors Give Their Views On Policing In Scilly

1. peter August 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm

@forgivness do you have any idea how it feels to be a victim of crime? “Violated” and “numb” depression and anxiety,post-traumatic stress disorder, you can feel quite normal for a while and then things suddenly start to fall apart, you have physical symptoms, lack of sleep and feeling ill,these strong emotions can, in turn, make you feel even more unsettled and confused,people around you , friends, partners and children are also affected,they may feel similar emotions to yours, as well as concern for you, one of the things that makes crime particularly hard to cope with is knowing that it was committed deliberately by another person, this makes you feel very powerless and vulnerable……If you want to pray then pray for the victims

2. Forgiveness July 31, 2014 at 9:45 pm

@ ConfusedonBryher

Do you know how pathetic you sound? Yes it was crime, but they didn’t kill anyone and everything to my knowledge is all sorted now. The person in question is hardly a criminal mastermind, but a sweat gentle loving person who went through a little rough spell, but is getting the help they need. To the people sending nasty email, abusive verbally, ignoring the person or just glaring at them as they walk past in my mind this is far worse than the crime itself as that couldn’t be helped, but this is just plain nasty and the people involved need to grow up. So yes you are the real criminals. I hear a few people have gone through the similar scenarios on St Mary’s, but were not crucified 4 their actions, but got the help they needed to get back to full health with the help of a great community spirit it’s a shame Bryher lacks this. You would think with all the charity work this person has done in the past and raising money for a better Bryher way of living that you lot could forgive and move on.

Say this prayer aloud:

Heavenly Father,

I don’t feel like forgiving. I don’t even want to forgive _______ (person’s name). He (She) has wounded me and crushed my spirit. You are witness to my pain and my suffering. I don’t know why I had to go through this. But, Your Word commands me to forgive. I want to obey you and do what You say, because You are my God, who means everything to me. And even though I have no warm feelings within me, I choose to forgive by an act of the will. I forgive ____ (person’s name) and set him (her) free. I no longer hold anything against him (her). Please forgive me for harboring bitterness and anger in my heart for so long. I have sinned against You and I am sorry. In Your Word (1 John 1:9) You have said, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

3. Rob Anybody July 28, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Fascist oppressors of the working classes on behalf of the corporate funded state.
    As it goes, I think the local plod do rather a good job all things concidered

4. ConfusedonBryher July 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I am disgusted by the local policing after a recent serous crime we was told that we should sympathize with the criminals and even show them some understanding making us Islanders feel like criminals our selves.

5. Regular Visitor July 27, 2014 at 7:03 am

I hardly think getting comments from Facebook and Twitter followers is representative of the majority of Islanders or visitors.

• Ian T. July 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

As someone who refuses to have anything to do with either Facebook or Twitter, I agree with you ‘Regular Visitor’.

• D'Agostino July 29, 2014 at 10:08 am

You said, on an internet forum…

• Ian T. July 30, 2014 at 10:06 am

Point taken but there is big difference to the so-called ‘social media’ of Facebook and Twitter. I don’t crave ‘followers’ or hundreds of hits.