New Tourism Website Launched For Scilly

visit isles of scilly website 2014The islands’ tourism industry has a new website.

‘Simply Scilly’ has been replaced by ‘VisitIslesofScilly.com.’ And it’s been given a fresh look, similar to this year’s brochure.

Tourism Coordinator at the Islands’ Partnership, Amanda Pender, says the old website has served local businesses well for years, but many destinations in the UK are now changing to the ‘Visit’ prefix.

She says it makes it easier for people to find and reflects the new branding of the islands.

Anyone typing in the old address will automatically get redirected to the new pages. Amanda has asked business owners to update their promotional literature if possible.

But the changes to the site are more than skin deep.

Jo Downie from marketing agency Wolf Rock led the redesign. She says it’s built around what local businesses wanted and gives lots of flexibility.

From Radio Scilly

Amanda Pender and Jo Downie discuss the new tourism website.

So for example, someone who runs both a café and accommodation will be able to advertise their two services more effectively.

And another big change is the opportunity to give potential visitors real-time information on availability.

Jo says the first questions people ask when searching for accommodation is “can I afford it” and “is it available.”

There’s nothing more frustrating, she says, than customers then having to make a phone call or send an email to get further information.

The availability will show up in the form of a calendar and allow people to then go to the provider’s website.

Jo says the onus will be on individuals to keep that up-to-date, although there’s no reason why in the future it can’t tie in with their own on-line booking systems.

The site is much easier for visitors to navigate and get what they want.

And it’s optimised for use on a range of new devices like iPads.

Jo says more people are using these technologies and they tend to like sites with plenty of pictures.

She’s wants advertisers to look at their own placings and make sure they’ve got some really strong images on them. Scilly is so beautiful, she says, we should use pictures to sell it for us.

Jo says they’ve tried to make it very easy for people to update the information.

Another new feature will be the ability to put up late availability and special offers instantly, at the click of a button.

Although the new site is just being launched, Jo says it’s built in a way that will make it easy to change in the future.

The Partnership says they already have a list of new ideas for the next phase.

You can see the new website here.

8 Responses to New Tourism Website Launched For Scilly

1. Veronica May 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm

This is a fabulous website! Well done Scilly. I can’t comment on other folks’ problems with it, but here on the west coast of Canada, the whole site works awesomely and perfectly! It is very impressive and easy to navigate and is excellent PR for all the islands. Congratulations.

2. colin May 15, 2014 at 6:39 pm

John, I note you are nearly 70, I am 74 in a fortnight and live many miles away, but in spirit I’m there every day. As with all sites, new or not, if I spot anything which requires a bit of attention, ie grammar,spelling, I always report it, it might not be to the correct person, but it usually finds it’s way to the right place.

Coincidentally, just minimised this window to try the video’s in full screen, and they still fail.

3. John Gates May 15, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I am not an islander and therefore realise that I know very little and my comments don’t count for much, but I am surprised a live site is ‘in the middle of an extensive testing period’. Surely it would have been better to test the functionality across bowsers and platforms before the site went live. However, as I am nearly 70, perhaps I don’t understand the intricacies of these new systems

• John Gates May 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Should have said browsers and not bowsers – apologies

4. Carolyn Garman May 15, 2014 at 10:38 am

Hi. Islands’ Partnership here. We have noted the issues raised in this forum and we are looking into them. We are currently in the midst of an intensive testing period and if anyone does have issues or comments, we would welcome a phone call on 01720 424036 or email us at enquiries@islandspartnership.co.uk or pop by the office if you are passing. Many thanks.

5. colin May 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I tried to watch each of the video’s full screen but via Chrome, this failed. Tried watching full screen via IE and it worked. Maybe it’s me, maybe not, Maybe someone else might like to try and if necessary, report back to help them rectify this.

• Gromit May 14, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Videos and site as a whole working well via Firefox

6. Nimis Non Est Satis May 14, 2014 at 10:58 am

2nd hit when you type Scilly into Google – Click on the link and you get a fantastic first page with a great photo -easy to use (although some of the page expansions were slow but thats probably my connection) – can’t wait to look at it again – Fantastic job well done!