Police Seek information On Vandalism To Hugh Town Shop

paper shop vandalism

St Mary’s Police are appealing for information on the vandalism of a Hugh Town shop in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The Papershop had a large amount of paint daubed over the front door and windows.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says the criminal damage happened sometime between 4am and 7am.

He says there was some noise and rowdiness around 3.15am and people may have heard this, but he says the damage happened later than that.

Colin wants to hear about anyone seen with extensive pale-coloured paint on their hands or body this morning.

He’s disappointed this has happened. Colin says there were five officers out last night with a highly visible presence but the incident happened after they clocked off at 4am.

From Radio Scilly

Sgt Colin Taylor speaks to Radio Scilly about the vandalism

Papershop owner Clive Mumford has thanked Katie Graham, Terry Ward, Dave Baxter, Barry Wright, Julian Morrel, Ben from The Farm Deli shop, Clive’s daughters Vicki and Selena and his grandchildren, Don Bates, Stuart Hitchens and PC Mat Crow, who all helped him and Avril to clean up this morning before opening.

Sgt Taylor says anyone with information should contact the police station on 422 444.

But there has been some good news this morning. Fears that the new defibrillator installed at St Mary’s Harbour had been taken overnight turned out to be unfounded.

It was taken down for safekeeping by someone with the best of intentions.

12 Responses to Police Seek information On Vandalism To Hugh Town Shop

1. Cassie May 6, 2014 at 11:53 am

As much as I sympathise with the family who couldn’t find a public toilet open in the evening, surely this article is about the vandal who threw paint at the paper shop! I hope you find whoever did it. Someone must have noticed a friend or relative covered in the stuff!

2. colin May 5, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Colin & Fiona, your posts reminded me of a report I have read recently that might although digress from the subject, might make you smile.

3. Colin Bean May 5, 2014 at 7:58 am

Fiona
    Give one example of where the “Law actively discriminates against people who are medically unwell”.
    From your comments, I presume that when you need to go to the loo in a city shopping centre, you just find the middle of a pavement and do it?

4. jerry May 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm

the lack of respect of peoples property is a to common event in the uk today, if there caught its only a slap on the wrists

5. Leigh May 4, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Seeing this makes me angry. I consider Scilly my home form home and have been there 24 times in my 28 years alive. Who would do such a thing? DISGUSTING.

6. Colin Bean May 4, 2014 at 8:43 am

Tom
    There is NO excuse for urinating in public, even if the public toilets are shut! (It is an offence after all). The loos are likely to be closed to prevent the type of damage inflicted on the paper shop. Just don’t drink so much that you forget where the pub toilet is.

• Fiona May 4, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Of course there is! Plenty of people have conditions (like diabetes) which mean that when they need to go, they need to go. That applies when the toilets are shut too! The law actively discriminates against people who are medically unwell, criminalising them for an essential bodily function.

• Ian T. May 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Tom, I’m not sure that urinating in public is necessarily an offense especially with public conveniences being few and far between and owners of eating/drinking establishments often being unwilling to allow the use of theirs. After all, what is one supposed to do if taken short? Apart from that I do tend to agree with your statement.

• Tom May 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Hi Colin, in reply to your message, I had neither been in a pub, or drinking. I was out for a walk with my 2 children (both under 6 years old), finished off with fish and chips. There was nowhere for myself to use, and I would be hard pushed to get either of my children to ‘hold it’ until we got back to our accommodation.
      If the Police want to fine me for spending a penny down at the waters edge, or my children, then they are welcome, but the fine would be posted to the council immediately.

7. newquaygreen May 3, 2014 at 10:16 pm

this is really sad whether it be local or visitor. A pointless action and one which hurts a local business probably struggling already. I really hope whoever did this is caught and publicly humiliated. If you are a visitor you should be banned from returning, if local you should be exiled!

8. Tom May 3, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Had fish and chips down and Porthcressa last evening at 8pm, went to use the public toilets and they were locked up. No wonder people urinate on the beaches, side streets etc. With this amount of people surely they should be open?

9. mainland visitor May 3, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Not a normal Scilly event, thankfully.
    One could be forgiven for thinking that drink and visitors may be a contributing factor.
    I had intended coming this year, but people urinating in the street last year, plus the general over indulgence in alcohol put me off.