Council Will Not Introduce Late Night Levies

hugh town centre 3

Councillors have decided not to charge pubs for later opening.

They’ve also voted against banning alcohol sales between midnight and 6am.

Early Morning Restriction Orders are used elsewhere in England if there’s late night noise that isn’t related to one specific business.

Licensing Committee members turned down a late night levy on premises operating after midnight.

Any fees charged would have been shared with the police, who get 70%, and the other 30% going to the Council to support street cleaning.

Officers warned that introducing the regulations here could mean extra work during unsociable hours.

Staff also pointed out that there was a set-up fee and only a small amount of income from fewer than ten potential businesses could be generated.

Community Relations Officer George Pearson says late night levies were “unsuitable for the islands at present.”