Islands’ Biggest Archive Of Shipwreck Photos Could Raise £150,000

gibson photo collection
 
The most comprehensive archive of images documenting Scilly’s shipwrecks is going under the hammer at auctioneers Sotheby’s.

It features the work of four generations of the Gibson family of photographers, who captured 1,000 pictures, spanning 130 years, of the wrecks of over 200 ships.

It began in 1869, when the first Telegraph arrived here. John Gibson became the islands’ local news correspondent sending his images upcountry to newspapers.

They were keen to publish pictures of local wrecks.

When the Schiller was wrecked, John and Alexander Gibson worked together continually for days. John eventually collapsed with exhaustion.

Later, Herbert Gibson produced a ledger filled with eye witness statements of the details and name of each ship, where it was coming from and going to, the number of crew and passengers and how many lives were saved and lost.

It is very rare that photographer’s journals survive with notes about their photographs.

The images include recent wrecks too, like that of the Cita in 2007 and other photographs taken by much-loved islander Frank Gibson, who died last year.

Shipwreck hunter Rex Cowan has described it as the “greatest archive of the drama and mechanics of shipwreck.”

Sotheby’s specialist Richard Fattorini says maritime and shipwreck museums as well as private collectors of photographs and maritime history are most likely to bid.

It’s thought that the single lot will fetch between £100,000 and £150,000 when the images go on sale on 12th November in London.

Sandra Kyne, the fifth generation Gibson photographer, can only comment publicly on the sale through Sotheby’s press office. They said she was unavailable yesterday.



3 Responses to Islands’ Biggest Archive Of Shipwreck Photos Could Raise £150,000

  1. Roger Furneaux November 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm

    I agree wholeheartedly with Bob, and am only amazed that there has been no further comment on this story. But if the required £100-150K cannot be prised away from the Duchy’s millions, how about people power? I would only take 1500 people to pledge £100 to raise the sum, but how on earth to do this before next Tuesday?
    I for one would be happy to contribute.

  2. Bob F October 23, 2013 at 12:11 am

    It will be a great shame if this collection leaves Scilly and Cornwall, especially if it goes into the hands of a private collector (for what is less than the price of an average house). I note that Prince Charles’ Duchy of Cornwall Made a profit of over £18 million in 2011 (on which he pays no corporation tax). Perhaps he might see fit to purchase and donate to a local museum where the collection might be properly stored and archived? Come on Charlie – show you really care about the area.

  3. Tony Toole October 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

    Nothing like cashing in on the hard work of your ancestors
    Personally I’d have donated the collection to the museum,
    so everyone could share this body of work, rather than a private collector