Plans Progressing For 50th Anniversary Of Newquay Invitation Weekend

gig frontPlans to mark 50 years of the Newquay Men’s Invitation Weekend are well advanced.

Members of St Mary’s Gig Club got together earlier this week to discuss arrangements for the weekend, due to be held on the 21st and 22nd of September.

Club Chairman Andrew King says three crews are coming over from Cornwall and he’s expecting as many as 150 friends, family and supporters to accompany them for the celebration.

The mainland club is bringing three of their historic boats including the Treffry, which was built in 1838, and which provides the size measurements for all modern gigs.

Andrew says they’ll line them up with some of Scilly’s oldest 19th century gigs boats for a photo session on Porthmellon on the Saturday afternoon.

He’s hoping that the Tresco club will row the Czar over, but the Shah won’t be in the pictures as it is being refurbished.

Andrew says he’s been putting together a montage of old pictures of the event over the years.

Images he’s posted to the St Mary’s Gig Club Facebook page have been well received. He’s looking for more and says Grant Tucker is also compiling a display for the weekend.

Some of the crews from the 1990s, including the ‘Mister Men’ and the ‘Beastie Boys’ will get out on the water on the Saturday afternoon before the regular Saturday evening and Sunday racing starts.

The half century celebration will finish with a barbeque on Porthmellon beach on Sunday, following the traditional 3pm St Agnes to St Mary’s row.



One Response to Plans Progressing For 50th Anniversary Of Newquay Invitation Weekend