St Mary’s Quay Funding More Likely After Meeting With Transport Minister

St Mary's Quay

St Mary’s Quay

It looks like the proposed St Mary’s and Penzance Harbour improvements will be funded by the government.

That’s the view of both MP Andrew George and Scilly’s Council Transport Chairman Chris Thomas, following a meeting with Transport Minister Norman Baker in London on Thursday.

Proposals have been finalised on both sides of the water. The Minister had earlier made it clear that both the mainland and Scilly projects would need to be ready for funding at the same time.

Government approval will release the matching European cash for the work, which is expected to cost around £8m for the St Mary’s side of the scheme.

Chris says he explained to the Minister why the proposed works are necessary and he said Mr Baker was clear that he was happy with the finalised plans.

Chris says he’s pleased that Cornwall and Penzance Council’s have agreed their scheme, which mixes dredging and rock armour at ‘pinch points’ to prevent damage to the quay and boat.

He hopes to hear whether the money will be forthcoming by the 12th September at the latest.