Scilly Waste Report Pulled After Locals Complain Council Hasn’t Followed Process

Pendrathen quarry

Pendrathen quarry

The Chair of the General Purposes Committee has pulled a report on the recent waste consultation due to be presented at Thursday’s meeting.

It’s thought the report contains views on the use of Pendrathen and Porth Wreck as potential waste sites.

The item was listed on the agenda but no written report had been made available beforehand. Local authority agenda items by law need to be made available for public scrutiny five working days before meetings.

Cllr Steve Sims says he wanted members to get an overview of what will be discussed prior to Thursday and felt that if new material was presented on the day, items may be missed or glossed over.

While most of the pertinent paperwork is in place, he says, there is some, mostly to do with the consultation process, that is still being processed.

Steve says Andy Street from SLR, who was due to present the report, agreed with his decision.

He says he wants the whole process to proceed as openly and transparently as possible, as does the Chief Technical Officer, Neville Gardner.

Steve’s been assured by the Council’s Admin group that everything has been done correctly in preparing for the meeting, but a number of members and the public had expressed doubts to him.

The issue of waste on Scilly has become “a very hot potato”, he said, and he didn’t want there to be “a shadow of doubt that everything has been done properly.”

The SLR report gives a very positive message, which will be entirely overshadowed by transparency issues if we don’t do this properly, he added.

There will be a special waste meeting of GP, called provisionally for Tuesday 30th July, when the report will be discussed.