Steamship Company Says No Delays On Freight To Islands

gry maritha 2The Steamship Company are encouraging anyone who has been suffering delays with freight orders to get in touch with them.

Radio Scilly has received a number of emails and Facebook messages over the last week from islanders who say courier packages have taken up to ten days to reach the islands after being signed for in Penzance.

However, Commercial Manager Nick Sanders told us there are no capacity issues on the Gry Maritha and freight should be put on the first sailing after it’s delivered.

He says the Steamship Company has no intention of storing items for long periods in Penzance, although it might take a couple of days if a parcel arrives just after the Gry has sailed.

Nick says he’s not aware of anyone contacting the company to complain of delayed orders and he said it’s important that they get in touch, so he can find out exactly where the problem lies.

This could happen after items have arrived on St Mary’s, he says, which is out of the control of the Steamship Company.

6 Responses to Steamship Company Says No Delays On Freight To Islands

1. Jenga June 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Considering the amount of freight that comes in on some days, I’m very impressed by the urgency and professionalism of the haulers to get courier items delivered on the day they arrive, come rain or shine. Congratulations to you all!

A lot of the time the couriers hold your item(s) in their local depot and top a pallet up with more orders before despatching the lot down to PZ quay. From there I do not know what happens, but I can assure you that the pallet is not split down in any way until it reaches either Richard Hand or Island Carriers on St. Mary’s.

I’m not sure why items appear to be signed for and delivered at PZ quay on the courier’s tracking system because, technically, the quay staff cannot sign for that particular item that is cling wrapped amongst a load of other packages. Instead, someone signs the shipping note that the courier driver completes for the whole pallet(s) and then, providing they get down in time, it is loaded immediately onto the Gry or stored in their warehouse until the next sailing.

As for express delivery items, well that is purely a waste of money when using couriers, and you (the customer) should know better than to expect a speedier delivery as opposed to standard shipping rates! Yes, your package will get to the local depot quicker but then it succumbs to my first line in paragraph two… Although saying that, I don’t know why the ISSG cannot ship courier items via the Scillonian III or Skybus. Surely courier items should be catagorized as being of similar importance to Royal Mail packages and therefore should be prioritsed as such? I don’t know. But what I do know is that I try my best to get anything I order through Royal Mail or Parcel Force!

2. Liz Martland June 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

I ordered a wedding present from M & S well in advance, it was supposed to be a 24 hour delivery, it arrived 10 days later. Malcolm received a Father’s Day gift from his son a week late. I ordered an item three weeks ago due to be delivered by City Link. The tracking said it was signed by ‘IOS’ on the 6th June – I’m still waiting! The fault is certainly not this end & I would like to thank our carriers for their help & advice.

3. Nobby Nobbs June 22, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Shitty Link are notoriously bad.
    What a lot of the couriers do is wait until they have a whole pallet to send over, this is often where the delays start. The ISSco can take another day or two to ship over and if it arrives on Friday’s boat, then often the hauliers don’t deliver until the Monday or Tuesday

• Simon Wallace June 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hello Nobby,
      I work for Richard Hand, we do not leave courier deliveries until Monday or Tuesday – all our courier things that arrive on the Gry are delivered on the same day (unless the person is out, then we will leave a note and re-attempt delivery the next working day).
      Regards,
      Simon

4. Lindsay Sawyer June 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’ve had a couple bad ‘delays’ with M&S parcels, the last one (sent via ‘City Link’) was delivered to Pz quay – 3rd June, then ‘went missing’ via ‘3rd party carrier’according to M&S/City Link, so they gave me a refund as it should have been delivered within 4/5 days.

A further TWO weeks later the missing parcel was delivered to us (it hadn’t been at the Carriers as Lou Knapman had been really helpful when I was looking for it originally…….)

This is the SECOND time this has happened now, both times in Summer months, both M&S/City Link. All Gri sailings in that period were on schedule.

I would imaging most folk ‘chase’ the supplier and follow the ‘tracking reports’ so the ISSCo Ltd wouldn’t necessarily get involved, as apparently City Link goods come on sealed pallets.

5. Rolland June 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

I blame the courier companies. Depending which courier is used some parcels are not delivered to the customers door, instead they are given a TR18 (Penzance) postcode and are either left undelivered on the quay (because the haulers over here are not obliged to take it immediately), or the package is poorly labelled and not even Mr. Holmes could fathom whom it is destined for. In fact, in some cases it is the customers fault for not giving the company they bought the package from enough details! Some places don’t deliver to the islands so the only hope is Penzance. They put the harbour freight office’s address in but no forwarding name or address!