UPDATE 8.13am: Major Incident On St Mary’s Quay

quay incident june 2013 1
St Mary’s quay remains cordoned off this morning as police protect what’s being described as a potential crime scene.

Officers have been on duty all night blocking quay access.

Police sealed it off at around 8.30pm last night and the Gry Maritha was asked to leave its berth.

Police are not making any comment on what happened until later this morning when mainland reinforcements arrive to take over investigations and to relieve local officers.

The shutdown followed a medical emergency during which a male was evacuated by the RNAS Culdrose rescue helicopter following an incident in the harbour area.

There are unconfirmed reports that a man appeared to fall from the top of a yacht’s mast.

Falmouth Coastguard confirmed that a man has sustained injuries. Eyewitnesses reported that a man appeared to have serious head injuries. His condition is unknown this morning.

Last night there appeared to be heightened police activity around the ‘Windrose’. That’s the yacht that got into trouble around 9 miles south west of Bishop Rock lighthouse on Sunday and which was towed in by St Mary’s lifeboat.

The Border Agency patrol vessel which was in The Roads is alongside the quay but will leave later this morning

Police say they are not looking for anybody else in connection with this incident.

As the tide is coming in they hope that off-island boat services will be able to use the old quay, which is open.

Only essential quay access for permit holders is allowed past the police cordon.

Harbourmaster Dale Clark issued the following statement this morning: “Access to the quay in St. Mary’s harbour remains restricted this morning as a result of a police investigation into an incident yesterday evening.

“St. Mary’s harbour are working closely with the police at this time and will open the quay fully as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding at this time.”

You are advised to check with boat operators to see if boating schedules are being affected.


4 Responses to UPDATE 8.13am: Major Incident On St Mary’s Quay

  1. Steve June 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

    I agree with the most recent comments!! We are very lucky to live in such a place and also lucky that our most competent officers were on hand to deal with such an incident!!

  2. Jeff Eastick June 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

    What a crass , stupid and insensitive post from E when loss of life has occurred !

  3. A visitor June 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

    Would you rather have major incidents every day for the police to deal with or do you realise you are lucky to live in a place where very little happens but the police are ready when it does? What an inappropriate comment considering someone has died.

  4. E June 18, 2013 at 8:25 am

    Gosh! Some actual police work for our local force, they’ve even been to busy to update their facebook status! To think we may never get an update now on the chicken that crossed the road.