Police Concerned About Thefts From Bikes

bikesScilly’s Police Sergeant says he’s concerned that bike crime is now going further than just taking the cycle for transport and discarding it later.

Sgt Colin Taylor says there have been two thefts from bikes. Last week a stolen bike was later found with a front light removed and this weekend, a missing bike was located between High Lanes and Content Farm by a local, who put it in a more prominent place near the road.

When the owner went for retrieve it, the front wheel had been removed.

Colin has been undertaking stop-checks to ensure riders are on bikes that they have permission to ride. He says he’s taking it seriously because each theft adds to the islands’ crime statistics.

8 Responses to Police Concerned About Thefts From Bikes

1. Wiggins June 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I insured my bike against theft, I’m probably the only saddo over here that did. I had to lock my bike……it doesn’t take long & it’s easy! TRY IT!

2. Colin Taylor June 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I understand the very real frustrations of people on Scilly to this problem of bike thieving. It is something I am determined to tackle but I cannot do it without evidence. I have increased the recording of acts of theft at the inevitable expense of an end of year drop in overall detection of crime.
    To prove my case I have to:
    A/ Catch someone red handed riding a bike that is not theirs.
    B/ Find out who’s bike is being ridden
    C/ Get evidence from the owner of the bike that they did not give permission for the rider to take the bike.
    Without A, B and C I can take no prosecution action.
    I very much want to do this. I have already directed that we spend less time outside the pubs and more time on the routes out of town. I have already chased and caught a person riding a bike that is not theirs but even after a month I do not know who’s bike they were riding so the case fails at B and C.
    Most reports of Taking a Bike without consent are reported to the radio station or posted on Facebook. They are not passed to Police. When people do do report matters to us then inevitably the bike is already gone. There is no witness evidence, no CCTV, No forensics, nothing. For the most part people reporting their bike missing do not want to assist me in making an official complaint. They will not give me C. There is frequently little appetite for the thieves to be held to account by residents even when their own bikes are taken.
    I want to sort this culture of bike theft out but it will not be done without assistance of residents. You can help tonight by informing me who’s bike is in the picture I am about to post up on our Isles of Scilly Police Facebook site.
    All that said I am yet to have a report of a locked bike stolen.
    Sgt. Colin Taylor

3. Lindsay Sawyer June 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm

My son’s bicycle was stolen from INSIDE our property last year….it turned up some six weeks later in Buchanan’s boat yard in the Industrial Estate, quite by chance, by PC Mat Collier…the bike is now useless, rusted and damaged beyond economic repair……an incredibly expensive man’s bike ruined…..WHY???? This is THEFT not BORROWING…..also ‘someone’ entered our house and STOLE both front and rear halogen light off MY bike…..this is THEFT not BORROWING….. It is time this is stopped, while we lock our bikes if ‘out and about’, you do not expect someone to enter your house to BORROW/STEAL.

4. Sarah June 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm

It seems to me that if the bike which has been stolen is left somewhere visible it is a harmless prank and the owners fault for not locking it ! Surely anything taken without the owners consent is theft

5. Stuart Moore June 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I just spent £15 getting my daughters bike repaired after it was ‘borrowed’ by someone who dumped it opposite the police station so I assume they were returning to the Garrison area, not only did they break the bike, they stole the lights!!
    Now I have to replace the lights!
    whoever you were (and you know who you are) please make yourself known to me!

6. happy chappy. June 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Very fair comment, Peter.

Time for them to get on with the job, even if it means being unpopular.

7. Peter June 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm

The police have been far too lax regarding bike borrowing (or downright theft to be more accurate) for far too long. Crime associated with this will escalate if it is not addressed and nipped in the bud. I haven’t heard of one prosecution in relation to this even though it’s plainly obvious bike theft is common place.

8. Janet Charlesworth June 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

How sad that this is happening. One of my best memories of holidaying on St Marys is the fact that we hired bikes with baskets in which we could place our belongings and purchases, leave them unattended while we walked to admire a view and nothing was ever touched.