Scilly’s Food Champion Wants Producers To Enter Awards

cakes charity stallThe islands’ Food and Drink Champion says she’s on hand to help businesses enter food awards, because they put local food producers on the national stage.

Issy Tibbs says there are a number of competitions currently open to Scilly’s producers, including the monthly Observer newspaper food awards and the Choose Cornish awards.

And Issy is hoping that more islanders will follow Michelle Mapplethorpe’s lead. She won a number of confectionary categories in the 2010 Taste of the West awards. The regional quality mark has extended their application date for products.

Retailers including farm shops, butchers, online stores and delicatessens, or hospitality businesses like cafes, restaurants and guesthouses can apply until 17th June.

Issy says these awards are a stamp of approval that show you produce food that stands out from the crowd.

The entry fee for non-members of the Taste of the West scheme is £120 but there is a discount for members. Issy can be contacted at the Farming Initiative offices in Trenoweth.

6 Responses to Scilly’s Food Champion Wants Producers To Enter Awards

1. Rob June 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hi issy
    thanks for your reply,and I apologize for your trouble, I didn’t expect you to write it out I thought you could just copy and paste otherwise I wouldn’t have asked.
    I don’t think you’d want to visit me, I live in Leeds.

2. Issy Tibbs June 14, 2013 at 10:25 am

The Food and Drink Champion is part of the wider IOS Farmers’ and Growers’ Initiative, which is fully funded by Defra and the EU, and bank rolled by the Duchy of Cornwall. The IOSFGI started in June 2012, and will run until the end of 2013 and is committed to building capacity and sustainability in the agricultural sector on the islands. The Champion’s roll is to expand local food production and consumption, with all the very obvious benefits this will have on both the agricultural and the tourism industry. (A recent survey by the Islands Partnership put food and drink as the most important thing visitors were interested in while holidaying on Scilly. )

We are currently working on an updated food directory, (both online and in print), a trade website to bring together producers and trade consumers in a simple yet effective way, supporting attendance at mainland food festivals (we have just done significant and very popular tastings of Scillonian produce at the Royal Cornwall Show), and working with local food producers, purveyors and consumers to encourage excellence and expand the local market.

In the last 5 weeks we’ve already achieved a lot but there’s still a lot to do before the role finishes in December. Rob and Henry if you want to pop up to Trenoweth please feel free to send me an email. I’d love to talk to you about what we’ve done and what my plans are for the rest of the year. Over the coming weeks I’ll be working on the off islands as well so could always visit you if getting to St Mary’s is a problem.

You can also keep up to date on Facebook and twitter by searching Scilly Food. (This is maintained out of my working hours and promotes island food producers and food events.)

3. Issy Tibbs June 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Hi Rob no problems. I will post it on here.

4. Rob June 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Oh! I’d be interested in that as well, can it not be posted on here so that the whole community can read it?

5. Issy Tibbs June 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi Henry, I’m Issy Tibbs and I am the food champion. I’m more than happy to answer your questions. If you send me your email address I will send you a full breakdown of the role and answer any more questions you have. I only work 15 hours a week but check my emails several times a day. My email address is issytibbs@farmscilly.co.uk

6. Henry June 13, 2013 at 7:29 am

Genuine question,can someone tell me, who pays the food champion and how much does it cost and what does it hope to achieve? please! and I don’t mind who answers