Senior Roles On Scilly’s Council To Be Decided Tonight

The Old Wesleyan Chapel

The Old Wesleyan Chapel

There’s an important meeting for the Council tonight, the first Full meeting since seven new councillors were elected at the start of the month.

And those new members will vote for their Chairman and Vice Chairman for the next year, this evening.

It appears that the current Vice Chair of the Authority, Amanda Martin will be voted into the Chairman’s role unopposed. At this stage no challengers have emerged.

Former Chairman Roy Duncan says he has been asked whether he’d put his name forward, but he’s made it clear for years that he doesn’t want the most senior role again.

And Marian Bennett, who has also served as Vice Chair of Council previously, says she won’t be challenging Cllr Martin.

Amanda has received widespread popular support, gaining the second highest poll of 628 in the recent election.

The meeting in the Old Wesleyan Chapel starts at 6.30pm and is open to the public.

10 Responses to Senior Roles On Scilly’s Council To Be Decided Tonight

1. Happy Chappy. May 22, 2013 at 9:29 am

Quote ref David — Not allowed to say anything critical about a certain (old guard) lady Councillor.

This would to be true. I made a comment ref a Mr M a few days ago on a different matter. Nothing rude, nothing defamatory, no swearing, but it was not published.

A comment by scilly today on its guidlines would be appreciated.

2. Maggiepie may May 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

Nobby Nobbs, thank you for your corrections, or should I say punctuations; methinks you are in the wrong profession. As ‘yet another islander’ comments, sentences should never commence with the word AND.

3. yet another islander May 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Nobby, please don’t start sentences with and, thry is, I guess, supposed to read they and finally might I suggest an extra o in the spelling of ‘not too distant future’.
    Good evening!

• Nobby Nobbs May 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

Typo’s are not the same as punctuations.
      And why shouldn’t I start a sentience with an and, it’s my keyboard

4. Magpie may May 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Nobby whosoever you are you have such a lot to say maybe you should be up there with them with all your amazing views and comments.

• Nobby Nobbs May 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I’ve taken the liberty of correcting your punctuation

Nobby, whosoever you are, you have such a lot to say, maybe you should be up there with them; with all your amazing views and comments.

I like to think I contribute in my own small way 🙂

5. Happy Chappy. May 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Agree with Nobby 100%.

Too much dreckly with these councillors instead of firm positive action. I am pinning my hopes on Steve Sims to work wonders.

Did not realise moderation was so rife on here- apparently so.

So what happened to free speech that we are supposed to enjoy in our so called democracy?

Perhaps the moderator would be kind enough to publish the guidlines to which he operates so we are aware of the limits.

• Nobby Nobbs May 21, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Friends and family are off limits as are senior council officers if named.
      And anything that looks even remotely like a possible lawsuit. ie: naming and shaming senior council officers

• David May 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

6. Nobby Nobbs May 21, 2013 at 11:29 am

How come it takes so long for the new council to get organised ??????
    They got voted in three weeks ago!!!!!!!!
    This is how it should work….
    Voted in on the Friday
    Inaugurated on the Monday
    Full council meeting on the Tuesday
    P45’s on the Wednesday

Come on pull your fingers out and get on with it.

Amanda and Steve Sims should get top spots as thry polled the most votes in the elections. And the old guard should be kept as far away from positions of authority as possible.
    I also have a feeling that there might be a by-election in the not to distant future for reasons that would get me moderated on this forum 🙂