Rents For Council Tenants To Increase

hugh town from garrisonRents on council-owned houses are likely to increase by 3.6% in Scilly this year.

The proposal for the rise was accepted by members during a meeting of the Policy and Resources Committee and needs to be ratified by Full Council.

The Council is currently carrying out a review of its tenancies following new recommendations by the government.

This could include new tenants signing up to fixed-term contracts that can be reviewed if their circumstances change.

11 Responses to Rents For Council Tenants To Increase

1. Bill Hiner April 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

“A 4-bedroom house won’t cost the same as a shed.”

Thanks for your help Diane! Most insightful. Can anyone perhaps give me and anyone else who may not know, roughly how much rent is being paid here for say, a 3-bedroom council house?
    I’ll then know if I should feel happy or upset for those in council accommodation.

• Kev Wright April 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm

As you can see from the quote given, it’s not as simple as a flat rate for a 3 bedroom house. These will fluctuate quite a lot and also take into account things like disability and so on. So there isn’t really a standard rate to give. Council rents are cheaper than Duchy ones, that much I’m certain of.

“How we work out your rent

In April 2002 the Government brought in a new way of working out rents for Council Homes. All Councils now have a formula for calculating rent. The aim of this formula is that rents should be fairer, reflecting more closely the size, condition and location of a property. This is known as the target rent.

To work towards target rents we will adjust your rent each year. The aim is that by 2012, all tenants will be paying targets rents.”

• Kev Wright April 28, 2013 at 7:14 am

Rents vary greatly. But maybe this example will be of some use, Bill. A decade ago (give or take a few months) me and my partner had a baby son. Our single room staff accommodation wasn’t suitable so we were put on the housing list as I’m a Scillonian (I think you have to have lived here a certain lengthn of time). The council were unable to find us a permenant location, subsequently we moved 5 times within a year – ranging from B&B to a three bed house. All very inconvenient but better than nothing. Throughout this period the council kept our rent the same – £90 per week (rates, tax etc come as an addition to this).

Now I’m not sure what that would be in today’s money, but I’d guess around £120?

As for a permenant 3 bed home, like I’ve said, and like the quote given says, there are many variables.

2. Kev Wright April 27, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I hope this increase takes into account that many people over here work in tourism, pub, farm labour etc that pays little more than minimum wage! It seems to be relatively in line with inflation, plus a little extra, so I think this amount is justified, although people living on a tight budget will of course be affected. I also agree with what Mr Smith said, as this is currently not happening in many cases!

3. John Smith April 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I hope the increase in rent means the ‘landlord’ will maintain living standards appropriate to the tenants.

4. Susan Sto April 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Well, Cap’n Price, I guess that’s why it’s classed as “Social” Housing… There to meet the needs of Society.

5. Tony April 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Sorry I mean the two Below, when you write the message they are above.

6. Tony April 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I presume the two above do not live in a Council property.

7. Bill Hiner April 27, 2013 at 12:21 pm

3.6% on what current rent? Can anyone tell us how much it costs to rent a council property please?

• Diane Cidade April 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Bill, rental prices fluctuate depending on what sort of property your are renting from the Council. A 4-bedroom house won’t cost the same as a shed. I understand it to be a 3.6% increase across the board; whatever tenants are paying now will increase by that much.

From the Council’s website:

“How we work out your rent

8. Capt Price April 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

It’s about time the council increased the rent on their properties, they have been far too low for too long compared to other housing associations.