St Mary’s Election Candidates Holding Hustings Session This Evening

town hall windows signSt Mary’s residents will tonight have a chance to hear why candidates for the forthcoming Council elections feel they deserve your vote.

A hustings session, which will include a 3-minute presentation from each would-be counsellor followed by questions from the floor, is being held. It’s on from 7pm this evening at the Church Hall.

Tim Guthrie will chair the event. He is a FRIST advisory group member but says he won’t steer the discussion towards any topics or issues himself and intends to be an independent chair.

Tim says some candidates have called him to say they have other business or personal commitments this evening and can’t make the event.

We understand that 12 of the 18 prospective councillors chasing the 13 St Mary’s seats are planning to attend.

18 Responses to St Mary’s Election Candidates Holding Hustings Session This Evening

1. Bill Hiner April 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Kev

Yes, millions of robots (sorry people) use “Twitter”, such as criminals, self-obsessed wannabe pop stars, third rate “celebrities”, Ant and Dec (need I say more)?

• Kev Wright April 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

*sigh* Yes Bill, and all these people use their voice to communicate too. Should we ban them from talking? The Pope uses Twitter, Steven Fry is a known fan, Barak Obama has a Twitter account. You don’t have to look at what some bloke who used to be on Big Brother is saying, you can look at what you want. Many scientific institutions use Twitter.

You use Scilly Today – this is an online media site – so is Twitter. Ant and Dec could post on here if they wanted. Whether you’d agree with their opinion or not is up to you.

As for the whole laziness thing – how many people go to sit in on council meetings? I bet it’s not many. How many people use internet media (Scilly Today, Radio Scilly’s Facebook and Twitter) to find out this information instead? MANY MORE. So we’re all being lazy by having to read these stories on here.

As council meetings are open to the public, there’s no reason why a news publication such as Scilly Today, Scilly Now & Then, Viz – or whoever – could not sit in on council meetings and tweet updates. Misguided opinions by people unfamiliar with the format wouldn’t be able to stop this whether they want it or not.

I have no personal facebook or twitter accounts. I do have accounts for my music website. I follow around 60 other music websites, record labels, magazines and so on to get a running feed of music news. No following Perez Hilton to find out which celebrity is having an affair or other such gossip. Maybe research the possibility before jumping to conclusions about how it works?

2. John Smith April 25, 2013 at 8:22 am

Ian T – didn’t you used to sell toy trains when you were here?!!

• IanT April 25, 2013 at 9:05 am

Actually, no! But I did sell model cars and other land vehicles plus toy sailing yachts, etc. Are you just asking the question or trying to make some sort of comment of which, sadly, I have missed the point!

3. Beth Hilton April 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I think it’s a good idea, Kevin. And I’d be happy to do it!

• Kev Wright April 25, 2013 at 8:31 am

And as a sensible, impartial person with a background in news reporting I think you’d be a perfect candidate!

Like I said, if it’s fine for Parliament and the BBC to use this system, why can’t it be adopted here?

4. Fran Grottick April 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Thanks to everyone who attended the meeting.
    It was a good exchange of views. As was said ,
    greater communication will hopefully help to find solutions in these challenging times.

5. Bill Hiner April 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

There is absolutely no chance of me having ANYTHING to do with a practice that is called “Tweeting”!

It’s for people with over-active thumbs and less- than-active minds.

• Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Such as Radio Scilly for example? A business that has both Twitter and Facebook pages that it makes great use of.

When I started using more social media to promote my website the hits quadrupled very quickly.

It seems to me that those knocking Twitter are people who’ve never seen/used it or are aware of what a force it can be – yes for bad things, but also good things too.

Surely it would help the younger generation have more involvement in local politics. What’s the average age of a councillor? I can’t think of any under about 45!

Scilly needs to stop being afraid of change and embrace new technologies for its benefit, not being stuck in the past!

• Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Bill, your comments have got me thinking more about the role of Twitter in modern society. The Vatican uses it, the government uses it, police forces use it – the latter has had great success in solving crimes thanks to appeals on Twitter. I wonder how the victims of these crimes would feel if the police hadn’t bothered trying this method because it’s got a bit of a silly name? The mind boggles!

6. Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Also I love the fact that at the top of the comments section there are “Share” options – and this story has already beed shared on Twitter! Kind of proves my point…

7. Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

It’s not a case of me being lazy. No, not everyone has a computer, but many do. Those without computers wouldn’t be able to watch the webcam either.

As a general rule of thumb, what percentage of people interested in council politics actually watch the live debate anyway?

Surely if something works for the BBC and the House Of Commons then it could feasibly work here!

• Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm

And by the way – you don’t need a Twitter account to view what it on there. So If you don’t ‘have’ Twitter it doesn’t make any difference. All you need is a computer or smartphone.

8. Susan Sto April 24, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I really think that is laziness to an extreme Kev. Being spoon fed the information in small chunks rather than either turning up to a meeting or even watching a webcast. A little effort would be good. You might as well say “I cant be bothered to go to the meeting Ill just read about it here” as if that is enough to get the full story….

• Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Susan, many people can’t, because of work or family commitments, attend a meeting or watch it on a webcam. So a record of summarized points would be a huge benefit to those people.

9. Glynne Lucas April 24, 2013 at 4:11 pm

A recipe for disaster! Although I agree that it would be nice to have an open forum for members of the public to ask questions to individual Councillors, like a page on facebook for instance, to have someone tweet the odd remark from a Council meeting would lead to Councillors being misunderstood and remarks taken completely out of context. You’d have to be a damn fast ‘tweeter’ to be able to keep up with a heated discussion. If people are genuinely interested in who says what at Council meetings, they should get off their arses and attend the meetings, or watch the webcam.

10. IanT April 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Whilst no longer an islander so you could say why are you interested, I would like to make the point that there many out there who don’t have ‘Facebook’, ‘Twitter’ or even a smart phone nor, as is my case, do I want one. You may think that strange as i worked for IBM for 24 years but I have better things to do in life than be a slave to an iPad, tablet or whatever the latest gizmo is. The phrase I am tempted to use is ‘get a life’..!!

11. Kev Wright April 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I’ll post this here as I can’t remember or find which post this suggestion was made in, but as I’m currently working on an article for my website, I’m also following updates of Prime Minister’s question time via BBC Breaking News‘ Twitter account – much less taxing than watching it live on BBC Parliament!

It led me to this idea which I have also emailed to Councillor Billsborough following a question about the upcoming elections.

You might recall that Christian May mentioned the idea of the council embracing social media as a form of transparency, such s them having Twitter accounts and so on. He even went as far as suggesting councillors should tweet live from meetings.

I certainly don’t think councillors should be tweeting from meetings, they should be focusing on the job in hand – but having an internet presence of some kind would certainly help bring things up to date and help with transparency and communication.

I know that most meetings can be viewed live online currently (and they often are), but I’m sure you’re aware that this isn’t the most exciting form of viewing available! I don’t watch TV much personally, but I’m sure many people would rather watch Eastenders or (insert currently popular TV program) instead.

So – would there be the possibility of an impartial, designated person to sit in at meetings and Tweet the main points as the meeting progresses? I’m sure such a service would be hugely appreciated as people can check this while watching TV or whatever else they choose to do. This would also leave a permenant list online which people could view at a later date were they not able to see it live. Just a thought anyway, but it would certainly stop so many people feeling that things are shrouded in mystery!

As for who this person would be (Keri maybe?) and whether they should be paid or not is a discussion that would need to be looked at.