Police Sergeant’s Plea Over New Porthcressa Shelter

The new Porthcressa shelter

The new Porthcressa shelter

The islands’ police chief is urging the parents of young people to talk to them about showing respect for the new Porthcressa Shelter.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says there have been reports of groups of youngsters ‘messing about’ in the evening outside the new building, which opened recently as part of the £4.5 million Council–backed scheme.

He says youngsters have been seen hanging off the shutters and throwing toilet paper around, and he doesn’t want to see the activity escalating to criminal damage.

Colin says Park House is nearby and children may not be as aware of adults of the needs of older people, who might be sleeping in the early evening.

He wants locals to speak to their kids about appropriate behaviour and says as a parent he’ll be passing on a message to his own children.

Last month, the islands’ Member of the Youth Parliament, Maddie Sibley, told us that young people on the islands can sometimes feel vilified when residents assume that large groups are misbehaving.

She has called for an evening facility where her peer group can go and relax without disturbing nearby neighbours or being interrupted by the police.

15 Responses to Police Sergeant’s Plea Over New Porthcressa Shelter

1. Steve April 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

ScillyMe – you are spot on. These very few occasions they have to step away from updating their Facebook page to actually fight crime they can’t seem do do it properly. Football Mum – in my opinion they don’t do a good job at all. Local youngens get a slap on the wrist for serious crime and other people are prosecuted for petty bike theft. I guess it’s who you know over here though. Colin Taylor – No Comment

• randyandy April 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm

You know what i think!! sounds as tho all on scilly have gone a bit mad.. stop bitching about each other and learn to get on again.

2. Football Mum April 21, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Damned if you do damned if you don’t I think if you are the local fuzz!!!
    The message here is not too harsh but a gentle reminder which is the usual style of policing per here.
    Give our Police team a break they do a good job of keeping the peace and maintaining the expectations of he community.
    It’s all about ‘ Maintenance’ .
    Help keep Scilly – ‘crime free ‘ .

3. ScillyMe April 21, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Like Nobby Nobs said… get some perspective! Scillonian youths really aren’t that bad and there is nothing that will stop some young people “messing around” and pushing the boundaries, that’s what teenagers do!

More than anything, this article illustrates the fact that the police over here have very little to do other than update their Facebook.

Get a real job fighting crime on the mainland.

4. Colin Taylor April 21, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Perhaps the confusion over the profusion of Colin’s will be helped if I chip in with “I’m Colin Taylor” not Colin Nostradamus.
    Bill – Several adults have chatted with the children and been met with positive responses as we would expect from the yoof here.
    John – I was an exemplary child. I am trying to manage a situation that has not as yet resulted in any crime. I don’t like to wait until the line is crossed if a simple chat and pointing out of the potential to cause damage can be avoided. I’m not a fan of criminalising children.
    Steve – I didn’t make the name up and I know my rank thanks.
    Nobby N – My sentiments exactly.

5. Nobby Nobbs April 21, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Considering the yoof of London like to spend their time indulging in fatal stabbings and drive by shootings over turf wars and drug supply’s down in the hood, the fact that our teenagers like to “mess around” a bit, should hopefully provide a little perspective.

6. John Smith April 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

There’s two too many Colin’s here. There’s Big Chief Colin & Comment Colin. They’re not the same Colin are they….Colin? Whilst I’m sure Big Chief Colin was also an exemplary child, my response was to Comment Colin!

7. Steve April 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Colin, I think you should stop the media calling you a police chief cause, remember, you are just a sergeant. Making a plea to stop “kids” playing around next to a cracking beach. Come on, Get Real. There’s a lot more important things to be thinking about like, your favorite, Bike theft.

8. John Smith April 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Colin, you must have been exemplary as a child, how did you do that? Maybe all of todays young people should learn from your example. Could you be the newYouth Leaders icon…..WOW I’m sure you would be idolised by tommorrows future.

9. Bill Hiner April 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I do have to chuckle when people want even more money spent on entertainment provision for children (I hate the phrase “Kids”)! They have so much to do over here compared to most rural areas of the south west, but no matter what is provided for some children, swinging off expensive shutters will be preferable.
    The new playpark has been hijacked by teenagers who should be highly embarrassed at using facilities clearly designed for tots.
    But when it comes to viable alternatives to moping around with “Nothing to do”, I know of a free, secure, warm, and safe environment where these young folk could congregate-it’s called “home”!
    Lastly, if these children were seen misbehaving, why didn’t an adult have a word?

10. Data April 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Let’s face it, some kids just don’t want to use youth hub facilities, hence why they hang about in areas away from prying eyes, to cause mischief and to do things adults would not approve. I’m guilty of being exactly the same when I was younger and it will continue to happen!

11. Fran Grottick April 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I know money is tight, but if funds for a Youth Group could be found for a couple of nights a week, that might help.
    I think there was a Police Community fund mentioned recently.
    Perhaps a little of that could be made available.
    Could the “Youth Hub” be used?

• IanT April 20, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Perhaps the (apparently) underused facilities at the Sports Hall could be hired a couple of nights a week as a Youth Club or does involve so many Health and Safety issues to be a practical proposition?

12. Sara Corbett April 19, 2013 at 1:28 pm

In the old days there was The Kavorna. Gib Pender kept many youngsters off the streets then

13. Colin April 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

On Nov.6th, 2012, I posted something on this site, re this area, and within a short time, I was almost jumped on and apologised.

This was my contribution:-

My initial thoughts were that they will make an ideal “hanging out” area for groups of teenagers, away from prying eyes, ie alcohol, smoking, graffiti etc. Don’t say it won’t happen because experience shows it does/did in the shelter.

Aside from that, a couple of shifty looking teenagers sitting there, innocent or not, is not conducive with elderly people joining them whereas they would if the seating area were open and less hidden.

Yes it looks good, but you have to look further than that.

So I was not too far off the mark was I?