Scilly’s First Party Candidates To Hold Public Session

Green Party candidate Mark Prebble

Green Party candidate Mark Prebble

The first candidates to stand for election to the Council of the Isles of Scilly as members of a political party will meet the electorate this week.

Mark Prebble and Louise Graham are both officially endorsed by the Green Party. That means an end to the days of an independent Council.

Some islanders are upset that the ‘no parties’ traditional, in place since the formation of the forerunner of this authority was set up in 1891, has ended.

Mark says people have been keen to talk to him about the issues of party politics, compared to those of independent candidates. He feels that politics is about teamwork and the Green Party’s ideals match many of his own.

The two candidates are holding an open meeting at the Atlantic Hotel this Friday, starting at 10.30am and running until 12noon.

The candidates say whether it’s waste, community care, housing or the state of the roads that concern you, “you can come and talk with people who care about your view.”

Mark says they cannot provide tea or coffee. Election rules prevent offering incentives for attendance at such political meetings.

8 Responses to Scilly’s First Party Candidates To Hold Public Session

1. louise Graham April 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hi Bill,
    Interesting comment. I was asked with reference to standing as a green party candidate why I wanted to bring politics into the council! Really? Just because someone calls themselves ‘independent’ does not mean they lack an agenda.
    By standing for the Green Party I am declaring that their policies and aspirations for the future reflect my own.
    As a member of the Green Party I have the support and broad based support of 1000’s of other people who share a vision of a sustainable future for our children and grand-children.
    These Islands are facing real challenges and, I believe need all the help they can get.
    I also believe that ‘traditions’ should only be kept if they benefit people and now is time for change.
    I understand that we are unable to use this forum as a political platform which is why Mark and I have arranged to meet people in the Atlantic tomorrow. If you really want to know what I stand for please come and have a chat. Louise Graham

2. Bill Hiner April 10, 2013 at 8:42 am

It wouldn’t just be the Green Party candidates that I would have problems with, it would be anyone affiliated to political parties. For example regarding “green” issues, I would (for instance) argue against wind-turbines being installed on these islands. This may not be your current intention, but what if it DID become an idea that your party supported and encouraged, but you as islanders believed that turbines would damage the tourism here? Would you follow your party’s line, or your own?
    Just a thought, and I still wish you all good luck in the elections!

• Mark Prebble April 10, 2013 at 11:11 am

Thanks Bill
      It’ll take more than luck…

I’m always up for a chat on the complexity of the energy issues you have touched on.

3. Diane Cidade April 10, 2013 at 7:01 am

Perhaps it’s too personal a question, Bill, but could you expand on which Green Party policies in particular you would be most apprehensive about a local candidate having to stand by?

4. Bill Hiner April 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Sorry, but I think it’s a bad move to involve “endorsed” candidates. I respect both Mark and Louise, but I could never vote for them as I do not wish their decisions to be based on Green Party agendas. Inevitably, they will have to toe the party line, whether that is best for the islands or not.

• Mark Prebble April 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

Bill
      Your previous comments have been insightful and well reasoned, however what makes you think that my decisions, motivations, aspirations and desires are driven by a party agenda. Please feel free to introduce yourself and engage in discussion about what I personally stand for.

One of the strengths of people working together is the capacity to listen to a range of opinions, discuss them meaningfully and reach a consensus on the best option forward for the community concerned. The Green Party’s commitment to a participatory democracy where the community is actively involved in decision making through personal engagement and a fair and accountable representation is just one of the reasons i have chosen to support The Green Party.

Please feel free to come to our first open meeting this Friday and find out what we do indeed represent. Of course you could indeed call into the big yellow shop on the Strand where, customers willing, I am more than happy to listen to yours and other voter’s views about the issues that concern them.

The rules are that i’m not allowed to grandstand here so please feel free to find me and then we can have a proper chat about the issues.

Mark

5. Pat Hicks April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I would not think it would hurt having a couple of people on the council that is part of a political party. it may help in some ways as they can access information better. i also think we all need to keep an open mind about candidetes, what is most important is what we think they can do for these islands.. not how long they have lived/worked here. I just want them all to pull together and work together to bring the community back to a better place. i also want them to start looking after our local youngsters. housing is very important and i feel the council in the past have not supported them well. i know sometimes they could not help it. but i hear the policy’s are changing which i am most glad to hear. after all this is their home, where they are born, family’s are here and they have work here. please we need to support our younsters as well as our elderly’s……. that is 1 of many important issues we have here on the islands. as well as the tourist… wet weather facilities is much needed. It is time the people in the community spoke up of their concerns.. not moan to each other and not do anything about it. we all have a voice so please use it.

• Mark Prebble April 10, 2013 at 7:59 am

Well said Pat.

You have voiced one of the major concerns of the people who live here. Where is the housing for the young families who the islands desperately need if they are to survive the challenges facing us.
      A dormitory of holiday homes or a living community of families proud of their heritage. We have a choice.