Porthcressa Construction Company May Not Pitch For More Work In Scilly

porthcressa new library buildThe building company that carried out the £4.5m Porthcressa regeneration project may not have broken even on the contract.

And in a recent Planning and Development meeting, Council officer Diana Mompoloki also alleged that Kier construction will not be applying for more work on the islands.

Bryan Trethewy, Kier’s senior project manager for the area wouldn’t go into finances but confirmed that Kier won’t be pitching for more projects on the islands unless they were sizeable.

It’s accepted that construction in Scilly can cost around 150% of mainland schemes because of freight costs and staff accommodation. But Diana said there was no way the rainfall levels, which disrupted the Porthcressa scheme, could have been forecast.

Porthcressa is more or less on budget, she says, but the Council has changed some specifications, which have increased cost. The preferred library shelves cost around £20,000 compared to the original set, priced at £7,000

Cllr Gordon Bilsborough is concerned about the state of the road by the new shelter, which he says has been “torn up” by vehicles.

Diana advised that the surface would be restored and excavation holes would be filled and tarmacked.

Videos have been made of the road, which will reveal any damage that needs repairing, she said.

11 Responses to Porthcressa Construction Company May Not Pitch For More Work In Scilly

1. Kev Wright April 5, 2013 at 9:45 am

Following my last comment, I’ve just walked the length of Porthcressa to examine the surface. Most of it provides ample grip (which is needed) and just enough of a rough surface for those all important knee grazes. However, at the bottom of the steps, in circles by each area of seating and in a large area by the entrance to the side of the shelter a different surface has been used which is much more jagged and contains crushed glass. These are the areas of worry for me. They look like a very nasty place to fall off your bike or slip over chasing a ball etc.

By the way, the irony of me not spelling “school” correctly in my first post is not lost. (Although it was a mere typo).

2. Kev Wright April 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

Bill, most of the surface is an improvement and does make it easier. But look at the section in the middle, near the shelter. It’s very rough. When I was at schiool in the 80s our playground had to be resurfaced with tarmac because the current rougher surface was causing injuries. It’s not the whole was across. Just a certain area. If it had all been done with the smooth concrete that much of it is then there would be no problem.

3. Fran Grottick April 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

Well Bill,
    I read your comments on this site with interest, but I don’t
    think we have yet met.
    At least I shall now recognise you on Porthcressa!

4. steveatt April 5, 2013 at 9:11 am

If they’d finished to plan would they have made a profit?

5. Bill Hiner April 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Kev-
    I usually agree with most of what you have to say on this forum, but on this occasion I must differ. Are you seriously suggesting that a surface for all which has probably been designed to be as slip-proof as possible, especially in the wet, should take into account the possibility of grazes and small cuts to nine year-olds?
    Surely falling over teaches us as small humans to be more careful, especially if a bit of pain is involved?
    I like the surface, and if I feel it may prove bit dangerous for me, I put on my cricket pads, crash hemet and boxing gloves just to make sure I make it safely from one end of Porth cressa to the other!

6. Kev Wright April 4, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Oh – and whose idea were the pine trees? Once they grow they’ll be lucky not to fall on top of someone’s car (or got forbid a person) during a strom. The soil there will be soft as it’s just been dug. And will the council be clearing the car park of pine needles regularly? Easy to slip on in the wet. Just wait til they grow too, the root systems on those things will make light work of the wall and steps. Let’s hope they take their time growing so major disruption can be held off for a few years yet!

• IanT April 5, 2013 at 8:28 am

Pine trees..?? Although I’m not the expert horticulturist my late father was, there are surely not many types of pine that will withstand the Scilly weather especially in an exposed spot like Porthcressa.

7. Kev Wright April 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I was one of the people that agreed with the Porthcressa regeneration taking place. Although it didn’t need anything like as much done to it as it has had. And as for the cost – well that’s just ridiculous. It was done at the wrong time of year and took FAR too long (bad weather comes into play of course) but I’m quite pleased with how it’s looking now.

My main worry, having a 9 year old child, is that the concrete surface they’ve put down doesn’t lend itself to small cuts and grazes. Trip over on that lot and you might as well take a cheese grater to you legs/elbows/head. I hope my Mum’s prepared for a few extra submissions at the hospital this year. Why does it have to be so rough?!

8. Todd Stevens April 4, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Local builders were criticized, at the start of this project, for being too expensive. Now you can see how realistic with our prices we actually are. At 4.5million -I believe the locals could have built this quicker and been well into profit on it. Hygate can take his favorite builders with him to the mainland and welcome. It all ‘looks’ very nice but please try to keep it in house in future.

9. Bill Hiner April 4, 2013 at 3:24 pm

When the country is trying to reign in expenditure and the world’s poorest folk are dying for the want of clean water, I am embarassed to be associated (by virtue of living here) with twenty thousand pounds for shelving.
    We should have got re-cycled pallet timber which is all over these islands, and built some shelves that we could have been proud of.
    The world, even here, has truly gone mad!

10. Ginnick April 4, 2013 at 11:37 am

Are they really trying to convince us that out of £4.5m they are practically breaking even??? I’m sorry, but looking around the newly developed Porth Cressa area, as nice as it is, I cannot see where this money has been spent. A lot of that money was wasted on structures that could have been thrown up with timber and not the steel frames that were used. The same goes for the ground works, was it really necessary to tear up the whole area just to put some concrete down and re-lay the grass? Good riddance to kier I say, the whole project should have been undertaken by local traders anyway, and from now on I hope this is the case. I’m sure the local tradesman will be sorting out the bits that kier have missed, done incorrectly or look shocking anyway…