Council Cycle Scheme Reducing Car Usage

bikesA scheme encouraging Council staff to buy bicycles appears to have reduced car usage on St Mary’s.

The Town Hall offered 12-month loans through the Cycle to Work scheme last summer. Staff made a saving in tax and reimbursed the Council through salary deductions.

A survey has found that 40% of the 28 employees who took up the offer now make between 1 and 6 fewer car journeys a week. And 30% undertake 6 to 9 fewer car trips.

10% have cut out over 10 car journeys each week.

The scheme has also encouraged more leisure cycling. 60% of participants now cycle more

6 Responses to Council Cycle Scheme Reducing Car Usage

1. Terry March 17, 2013 at 10:39 am

I think most of the cars that are used are parked outside of the coop blocking the road! Surely a bit of commen sense and effort from the police and the council could clear this bottleneck up!

2. John Stickland March 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I can’t directly comment on the cycle scheme operated by the Council of IOS – but have bought a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme on the Mainland. The employer financially backs the scheme, the employee buys a bike to the maximum value of £1000 and pays the employer back, direct from his or her salary, each month for 12 months. The employee saves – my £1000 bike cost me £660, with, in effect, interest free credit for 12 months. The employer saves on National Insurance contributions – not sure of the economics but the employer (and hence, in this case, the Council of IOS) does not lose any money. The winner is the environment – my fuel bill on the mainland has gone from £145 a month 4 years ago to about £30 a month now, through me cycling much more, with a good quality, new bike. All in all an excellent scheme !

3. yet another islander March 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I admired one of the bikes one of the girls in reception bought, you’re quite correct Mark she paid for it herself. Be nice if folks got their facts right Iva.

4. Mark Prebble March 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

Dear Ivor, I may be wrong but surely its the employee that pays for the bike under this scheme. I’m glad to see that you advocate walking rather than driving, good on yer.

5. Iva Saye March 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

That’s 11/12 council employees with FREE bikes, how much did that cost the tax payer. Look at the distance people walk to work in the cities – why can’t they do the same – spongers!

6. Mark Prebble March 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm

That’s excellent news and i think demonstrates that the council’s aspiration to promote sustainability is gathering pace. Well done the council (members and staff), for promoting an environmentally friendly solution.