Island Water Consumption Falling

Buzza reservoir

Buzza reservoir

Water consumption has fallen on St Mary’s and the Council is putting this down to better leak repairs.

In June 2011, around 26,000 cubic meters of water were supplied on the island. Last June, consumption had fallen to 19,000 cubic meters.

Neville Gardner, chief technical officer from the Council, says work to refurbish the Buzza reservoir should prevent further waste. Part of a £1.5m Defra grant for water service upgrades is being used to build a new wall inside the underground structure.

Recently it’s only been around one-third full and capable of holding around 15,000 gallons.

It was poorly constructed and leaks if filled to its full 40,000-gallon capacity. It’s been leaky since 1924, when it was built, which prompted Cllr Chris Hopkins to question whether that was a record.

But the Council is refusing to answer questions on why island residents who want to use water meters cannot have them.

St Mary’s resident and estate agent Tony Dingley feels that people who don’t spent much time in second homes here would welcome the option to pay for what they use.

The Town Hall press office has chosen not to answer questions about this twice this month.

35 Responses to Island Water Consumption Falling

1. pat hicks February 28, 2013 at 9:19 am

I can understand where you are coming from Nobby in some ways. a lot of what you put on is very informitive. but i feel that some do not need to use alias names. and it is a lot more open now. i aslo feel we need to give the councilors more time to sort all these problems out. i dont quite understand it when ithings happen and the councilors are not aware of it. but officers and staff higher up know. can these people do these things without the councilors knowing or at least been made aware or having their approval. makes you wonder who is still running the islands.
    i think some councilors are trying their best. but seem to be coming up against a brick wall sometimes.

I alway thought the council staff was employed by the councilors/community we pay their wages.
    the staff are answerable to the councilors , the councilors are answerable to the community. should it not be that way..
    think going to take longer to sort out than i thought. but hopefully it will happen..
    Perhaps they need to get some trouble shooters in to sort some of the problems out.

2. Nobby Nobbs February 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Like so many others on here, I use a pseudonym because the position I hold within the community requires that I remain neutral and opinion free, whereas under my alias I can say what I think.
    One of the joys of living in a close community like Scilly is that we mostly know each other and rub along, but one of the disadvantages is that things often don’t get said for fear of offending someone. Also as you are all aware, until very recently there were certain members of the council who could and would make life very difficult if one questioned their authority, I have personal experience of this and I’m not quite convinced that things have changed all that much yet.
    So if it’s all the same to you, I shall continue to remain anonymous. Sorry

3. Clive February 27, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Sorry to go off topic even further, but putting your full name doesn’t necessarily mean it is YOU whom is typing. I could quite easily type under some false pretence and most people wouldn’t know the difference. I choose anonymity purely due to the fact that I don’t want attention away from this forum within such a small community. I voice my opinion on news articles and leave it at that in most cases, even if people don’t agree with what I say. At least I have contributed to the discussion for other people to then leave their two pence on the matter.

Also, can I just say that this isn’t a forum in the classical sense. Most forums I go on to are used to help others, learn about new things, make friends etc… This is just the IOS version of news night but usually ends up like Jeremy Kyle…

4. Kev Wright February 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I wasn’t suggesting one rule for one and one for the other. I was suggesting one rule for all. This forum, which could be very useful, is more like an effing pantomime at the moment.

5. Hecuba February 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I’ll come clean if Nobby Nobbs will! But it’s double standards, Kev… Why should me or Ian or Katie come clean just because you don’t know who we are? It’s irritating when you want the cloak of anonymity to fall and it doesn’t but you can’t have one rule for the goose and another for the gander.

6. Kev Wright February 26, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Well I’m a local – I don’t know who Ian is either and I don’t know who Katie is. he only alias I know is Nobby and it’s not a person I know well or will be revealing as it’s their choice to hide. If the others are so well known to people then please could you tell us who you are because frankly this whole thing is getting way out of hand and way off topic.

7. pat hicks February 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

well i dont know who ian t is. and once again alias names
    i have notice some of those who have them seem very quick to attack people who put their names on…
    they should not have the opportunity to do so unless they put their full name on.. there is No excuse for it.
    climate of fear what a load of shit. we are all intitled to our opinion and as long as it does not get to personal , but can still get our view over what is the problem. ..
    I admit i say things tongue in cheek sometimes, but i try not to insult others when i do it.
    oh dear you poor alias names..

8. local islander who is not another one February 26, 2013 at 8:06 am

no idea who nobby nobbs is, cant remember who i am but us locals know who ian t is.

• Katie F February 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Lots of locals know who I am! And Linda, the reason that I mentioned Naomi’s name IS to prove a point – until everyone starts using their own names speculation will be rife. ‘Kev’; you’re shortening your name (just as I am), I had no idea that using your full name would cause any offence. When I wrote ‘Kevin’ in my earlier and much scorned post it was in an attempt to engage you in the conversation and, as I’ve already said, to highlight that not all of our council taxes (or other funding streams) go to high wage earners… as it happens, I do live in social housing myself so feel perfectly entitled to comment.

9. Linda badcock February 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Katie F
    I am confident to say that if any member of my family has a comment to make on this site they would use their name not an alias,so please do not use Naomi Badcock name in any of your posts, even if to make a point to counteract.

10. Kev Wright February 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Your comment was clearly personal. Why put “Kevin” at the end of it otherwise if it wasn’t directed at me (and I continually post as Kev and not Kevin).

But to your point about names. If you’re only hiding behind an alias because others are then that’s pretty poor. Personally I think everyone should post under their own name, that way any comments like this can’t be taken out of context. If I knew who you were I may have interpreted your comment differently. And the same goes for Yet Another Islander whose comment I’m currently taking as a sarcastic dig when it may be meant as friendly banter if it’s from someone I know.

No I don’t have the answers, I won’t be standing for council but, like many others, I use this forum to put ideas forward, to discuss local matters and generally look for solutions to problems, hence talking about the desalination plant. That after all is what this forum is for, is it not? Or is it for a bunch of people under assumed names to bicker like we’re doing now? If it’s the latter we may as well all give up now.

11. Katie F February 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Wow – yet again a barrage of people deciding for me that my comment must be personal in some way – it certainly wasn’t directed at any individual! It was, however, meant to point out that not ALL of OUR council tax revenue goes to supporting those on high wages; it also goes to paying Joe Bloggs’ wages and to supporting those who aren’t working or are unable, for some reason, to work… I see that as a positive thing. Let’s not forget that we have the second lowest council tax in the UK (after the City of London, I think…) so it seems to me that the issues are being rather skewed. C’est la [island] vie.

• Katie F February 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Also, as I’ve said before, I will gladly start using my name when that becomes a prerequisite across the board. Just scrolling up through the responses to this I can see that there are also comments from ‘Nobby [NOT Naomi Badcock] Nobbs’ and ‘Ian T’; elsewhere there are comments from a multitude of ‘Islanders’ and ‘Another Islander’… it seems that people clamour for full names when a comment goes against the given grain of a thread, but not when it sits happily with the majority opinion.

12. yet another islander February 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm

The climate of fear is alive and well, some of us are frightened to put our names on here. We might be council employees and just read some of things written about us and most certainly would be if we dared to air our opinions…..but then again we might not be! Keep guessing.

13. Kev Wright February 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

And especially when your comments are misinformed. “Katie” you’re welcome to come round and see my receipts for payment of water rates if you like. As we’ve said, the offer is there. If you must get personal then at least make sure you have the correct information.

14. pat hicks February 25, 2013 at 9:45 am

Katie f. no need to get to personal.. especially when you wont even put your full name on the post…
    we are all intitled to our opinions even if we dont agree.
    and i know some dont agree with what i say, but this is a good community/Islands where we all should be able to have our say, without getting to personal. Most of us [ not myself ] have grown up and have lived side by side, SUPPORTED and HELPED each other over the years.. long may it continue

15. Pat Hicks February 25, 2013 at 12:23 am

Its ok
    I love ya all…. even the 2 faced beggers.

16. Pat Hicks February 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

Do you know something folks, i am getting really p—-d off. i cannot understand why most of you are not putting your names on the post.. am i missing something here. !!
    it would be nice to put a face to these things even if i did not agree.. cripps i am sure people dont agree with half of what i say,
    but its just my personal opinion i post on. i have not had anyone attack me yet…

hang on … someone at the door……

smack. wallop. ha ha

17. Diane Cidade February 24, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Katie F: Yes, and subsidising those who are unemployed, some of whom are ill and simply unable to work, as is dictated by Central Government, from whom they get some grants to (mostly) cover such expenses.

How bravely those hiding behind the veil of anonymity speak!

The amount that those unemployed receive as benefits pales in comparison to what, for example, Peter Lawrence Roberts receives as his weekly traveling allowance alone.

If you’d like to convert your innuendo into meaningful dialogue, however, you’re welcome to come round for a cuppa (if you can stand to spend a moment in our social housing) and we can have a chat about that, as you seem to have some issues that need airing. You (appear to) know where we are, so pop by!

18. yet another islander February 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Kev, you really need to stand for Council in the May elections; you’re erudite and have an amazing insight into the complex issues of water provision. On the other hand, however, have you thought of applying for one of those well paid jobs when they come up? With you in some capacity within the authority our problems could be solved at a stroke!

19. Katie F February 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

And subsidising those who are unemployed and in social housing, Kevin?

• Kev Wright February 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

What exactly are you getting at Katie? Yes I live in a council flat but pay water rates the same as everyone else. Are we to ban people living in ‘social housing’?

• Kev Wright February 24, 2013 at 9:06 pm

And would you care to reveal your identity so that we can judge your entitlement to an opinion based on the type of housing you live in?

20. Clive February 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

What I don’t understand is even though the council has saved themselves 7000 cm3 of water in a year due to their own recifitying of faults in the system, they still want to charge us more for using it! Yet another reason to be metered if they are increasing their rates because of a shortfall in the service due to their own neglect. I’m not blaming the guys who maintain the system, because they do a brilliant job under the circumstances, especially with a two man team! It all boils down to admin from the higher levels.

21. Kev Wright February 23, 2013 at 4:13 pm

If we had meters we’d pay for what we use. I think many people’s costs would come down. The cost of desalination would come down. The admin surely wouldn’t cost much, we manage it fine with electricity and phone bills. I think Diane’s hit the nail on the head though – the council would have to foot the bill for their own wastage when they’ve got more important costs like massive salaries/legal fees to pay!

22. Diane Cidade February 22, 2013 at 8:24 am

We could very well have to pay more if those with meters are paying a price so high that it has to cover the ‘wastage’ of nearly 7,000 cubic meters of water!! At the moment, business users are paying for what they consume (which I understand isn’t ‘cheap’), while residential users are paying to keep the cogs turning on a system that’s haemorrhaging money as quickly as it is water and other resources. Sounds like a lose-lose situation. The desalination plants are the Council’s largest contributor to its carbon footprint. Instead of making jokes about records for how long we’ve been wasteful with our resources (indeed, wasting nearly a quarter of the drinking water you produce must be a sick joke!), maybe now that the Council has received grant money to make the system better, we can take a look at the facts about metering and decide if it’s what’s best and re-write those policies as we see fit? To me, it seems we’ve just been putting good money after bad; with meters, the Council would have had a much harder time of smoothing over such an enormous wastage of resources.

23. Katie F February 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Surely with the extra admin. that metered properties would entail, everyone would end up having to pay more?

24. Di Barnes February 20, 2013 at 11:29 am

I also asked for a water meter several years ago and was told it was not Council policy to instal them in small households at that time. I was also told, unfortunately not in writing, that if everybody who wanted a meter was allowed one, other households would end up paying more….

25. Di Barnes February 20, 2013 at 11:26 am

I also asked for a water meter several years ago and was told it was not the Council’s policy at that time to allow water meters apart from in business premises. I was also told, unfortunately not in writing, that if all the small households were allowed water meters it would end up with larger households having to pay more…..

• Kev Wright February 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

Interesting comment Di, I wonder if they’re worried they’ll get less income this way? We use as little as possible anyway. But wasn’t there a story recently about how much it costs to run the desalination plant? Surely if we all cut back on water usage the council would save money there? O would that mean some kind of subsidy or grant is lost? I think some clarity is needed from our clandestine council on this one.

26. Nobby Nobbs February 19, 2013 at 9:54 pm

So the reduction in water use has nothing to do with the reduction in visitor numbers then?

27. Arthur February 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Your chance to become a councillor is well on the way Kevin, with the elections coming up in may. If you decide against it, then yes, you should write to your councillors or approach them personally rather than hoping they read this site.

• Kev Wright February 20, 2013 at 7:45 am

As stated in another post, because of family reasons I won’t be able to stand as a councilor as I wouldn’t have the time to dedicate to doing the job properly. My son’s rehabilitation is far more important I’m afraid.

And surely there must be a reason why we can’t have them? Why won’t they tell us what it is? If Radio Scilly has asked twice and got no response that a bit unacceptable don’t you think? Surely writing to councilors shouldn’t be needed with something as straightforward as this. Can’t the council speak for themselves? Why must it always be the long route?

28. Kev Wright February 19, 2013 at 9:31 pm

We’d LOVE to have a water meter. Why on earth won’t the council even tell us why? Should we write to councilors about this? Or maybe some of the few who read this forum might like to answer or press the senior officers for answers. It seems ridiculous, especially their stance of not answering. So much for becoming more transparent!

• Ian T February 20, 2013 at 8:53 am

Having asked this question myself some years ago, I was told that, as a publicly owned company, they don’t have to abide by the same rules as other water companies. Just paying for what one uses seems logical – that’s what we all do with electricity, gas, telephones, etc..