Newquay Airport Staff To Meet Islanders

newquay airportIslanders are being given the chance to put their questions and comments to the team who operate Newquay airport.

The Cornwall Council-owned facility has faced some criticism recently following a decision to end free waiting for car drivers who are picking up passengers.

There have also been complaints about what some islanders view to be the unfriendliness of security officials, although some locals have recently said they have noticed a friendlier attitude.

Managing director Al Titterington will meet with St Mary’s airport staff and health officials during the day on February 12th.

In the evening, from 6.30pm to 8.30pm, there will be a public meeting in the Old Wesleyan Chapel which will also be webcast on the Council website.

The main purpose of the session is to find ways in which the experience of medical passengers can be improved.

Jane Hurd, a committee member of the islands’ health watchdog- LINk4Scilly told Radio Scilly that the group want to establish a dialogue with airport staff. A similar arrangement has already been established with the Steamship Company and medical bodies on the mainland and if a constructive communication system is established then everyone benefits, she says.

Diana Mompoloki from the Council’s Economic Development department warned that some issues islanders may raise are because Newquay has statutory obligations tied to the airport’s status and connections with other international airports.

She says the islands have to be careful because Newquay “do it by the book” and claims that we don’t here or at Land’s End may well antagonise the CAA.

It is more likely that our security will be made tighter rather than Newquay’s relaxed, says Diana.

She says we can’t ask them to change legislation but can ask whether staff can be more sensitive to passengers’ age or medical condition.

11 Responses to Newquay Airport Staff To Meet Islanders

1. olive February 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I have never flown into Newquay and don’t ever intend to. The problem is by drawing attention to Lands End and St. Marys means they will be made to bring in these security measures. We should of said nothing. Start body searches at these airports will cost us visitors several of whom I am in touch with have said they will not come.

2. Pat Hicks February 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I must say i traveled with skybus a couple of weeks ago from newquay and ok security was a bit tight, but hey hoo thats life. its like that at most airports now. we just are not used to it. and like yet another islander said … wait until they come over and then voice your concerns with them.

3. Fran Grottick February 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

Dear “Local”
    Possibly not, given that throwing your shoe in some cultures is
    a sign of disrespect!
    Seriously though, as Tim and others point out, this is an issue that has to be sorted-and fast.
    It is encouraging that the meeting has been called.
    Let’s hope for a polite, if robust, exchange of views,
    hopefully followed by improvements where possible.

4. yet another islander February 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Newquay airport is indeed the only gateway to Scilly at the moment and I’m sure the staff don’t always get it right but instead of and moaning on here creating yet more negative advertising for the islands why not wait until you can speak face to face with the representatives when they are on St Mary’s and air your grievances then. Please don’t put more visitors off holidaying on Scilly by this constant negativity.

5. Vaughan Ashby February 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm

The security rules have to be the same for everyone travelling from any airport in the UK, no exceptions, it’s for our own safety. Security officers must therefore request politely and passengers comply politely. I have to go through these proceedures many times every year, it’s a nuisance but necessary in these times. Proceedures at both St. Mary’s and Lands End airports need tightening, I’m not sure why there aren’t X-ray machines and metal detecting arches at both, do they have special dispensation?

6. Peter February 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

We’ve flown to Scilly a couple of times from Newquay and find the “attentiveness” of the security staff there to be either annoying or amusing depending on our mood. I know they have to do their jobs as staff of an airport which provides flights directly or indirectly to foreign countries. But it seems from our limited experience that at least one family from each Skybus flight is summoned over the Tannoy to the search room. We once went to Gatwick and were stopped at the entrance to the site by armed police who asked if they could search our boot. No problem. However, the search was a cursory 30 seconds affair, as was the search of our bags at Newquay. I think if I were going to smuggle a bomb onto a plane (not that I would, by the way) I wouldn’t leave it on top of my underpants and washkit in my suitcase. So if you are going to search, search properly. Then I might have faith in the security staff’s actions as opposed to seeing them as a waste of time. Or don’t bother. We are always struck by the contrasting approach of the check-in staff at St Mary’s, but, as someone has pointed out, maybe we ought not to kick-up too much of a fuss about Newquay or the powers-that-be will ask “why are St Mary’s so lax? They must do as Newquay does”. One parting shot: I still maintain St Mary’s airport runway needs to be extended somehow so as to take small planes from, say, Ireland or Northern France to save the islands’ tourism industry. Then, indeed, Mr Skybus minibus driver, it will be “Welcome to St Mary’s International”. Chocks away.

7. local February 1, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Will they expect everyone to take shoes and belts off entering the meeting ?

8. Sarah Shave February 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Still think taking my Gran’s comb off her was a bit overkill!

9. Tim Guthrie February 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Everybody who travels by air today expects a high level of security which not at issue. As someone who was told that I couldn’t travel to the islands, after a knee operation, without having my crutches put through the x ray machine I feel that the proportionate level of security needs to be addressed. I, like many islanders, have travelled through different international airports and have never had any experience like the one when travelling through Newquay. Newquay is currently the gateway to the islands and is responsible as ‘front line’ in the development of the islands core business, Tourism. The majority of people travelling today are holiday makers and are hoping to have a happy, relaxing experience so all airport staff need to remember that there is a fine line between ‘statutory obligations’ and customer service. Amazingly it is the customer who makes the revenue to pay the staff wages. I have never believed that ‘the customer is always right’ but they are always the customer!!
    I would like to share some points that have been made by one of our owners, who has invested a considerable amount in Scilly and who’s properties generate a large amount of revenue have on the islands and to the transport provider, but sadly they are far too strong and would probably get me stopped from ever travelling through Newquay again.
    However I would like to take the points up with the management team at Newquay on the 112th and hope that I will be given the chance.

10. Tracey February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Maybe you should include Exeter Airport Skybus desk for a lesson in manners… even one of the guys who was with us as a passenger, who works for the Steamship Co, was appalled at their behaviour!!!
    I’ll be honest, if I didn’t HAVE to use them, I wouldn’t…

11. John Hicks February 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I am so pleased that there is some movement towards dialogue with the airport, as a hotelier right beside the airport I get to hear all the complaints from the locals flying to and fro, but other visitors don’t seem to have the same complaints. I do understand that there is a rather severe attitude at Newquay towards everyone including people using the car parks. When I drop elderly people up there and have to collect a wheel chair to get them to the check in it can take well over the five minutes allowed for dropping off and that then causes much stress and annoyance which can transmute into irritation which in turn causes more stress and can lead to accidents. I do believe they should not be so dogmatic about trying to raise so much money through fines. Also, when they are struggling to get people to use the airport, to go and slap a ‘drop off’ tax on people just beggars belief. I wish the team who meet the airport committee well with their talks and all the luck in the world……..