Waste Consultants Pleased With Public Sessions

Waste management site at Moorwell

Waste management site at Moorwell

The Council’s waste consultant is pleased with this month’s community waste consultation although some residents have reacted angrily to the proposal to use Pendrathen as a dump for inert building material.

Clearing and then redeveloping the Moorwell refuse site was the issue that concerned islanders the most at the Council waste management strategy consultation, according to Andy Street of consultants SLR.

Andy says proposals to level the site within the next three years were welcomed by nearly everyone. He says there was general approval of the proposals to aid recycling at the site, which will provide more efficient and cleaner ways of managing the waste on the islands.

Many islanders wanted more recycling on St Mary’s too, he told Radio Scilly.

Andy says there was also interest in the proposals to use processed inert materials, to be taken from Moorwell and two possible storage sites have been identified at Pendrathen and Porth Wreck.

Islanders have recently complained about the potential for future dumping at the Pendrathen quarry site.

Some attendees of the public sessions told the consultants that they wanted those waste materials sent to the mainland but Andy says most locals recognised the need to deal with the waste locally and he says many attendees understood that transfer to the mainland was not cost-effective.

Andy says islanders of all ages went along to the sessions in the Old Wesleyan Chapel, held over three weekdays earlier in January, and his colleagues handed out around 100 information sheets detailing proposals to attendees.

He says that the presence of the two representatives from the Environment Agency on the first two days was helpful, too.

DEFRA is offering the council over £12m of funding for waste management and more cash could be available if the government recognises that action is being taken to tackle the problems here.
You still have time to give your views. The consultation period has been extended until February 15th.
 



3 Responses to Waste Consultants Pleased With Public Sessions

  1. Fran Grottick February 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm

    I am no scientist, but find the comments above from Dr. Hessing and Mr Wornes very worrying.
    I hope there is a call for more information.
    Feedback can be sent to the Consultation Feedback at the Town Hall, or to SLR at feedbackios@slrconsulting.com until 15th Feb
    Also, do voice concerns to our Councillors, some of whom
    were very concerned of the lack of information about the recent visit of a Defra minister.
    There seems to have been little progress on the recycling front
    since the ?2009 report.
    HELP!

  2. Ray Wornes February 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm

    The consultation with SLR’s Andy Street was for me a waste of time as I do not support any of their proposals. Having said that SLR had investigated the transportation of waste to Cornwall and found it to be too costly, he wasn’t able to offer one piece of evidence on costings or on the operational logistics. However, I put to Mr Street costings per tonne obtained from the IOS Steamship Co. of £25 per tonne, which I believe to be less than half the cost quoted in the past by the Council and the Duchy. A long-term contract could possibly be even cheaper.

    My proposal is for the transportation of all our weekley waste to Cornwall. 60 to 80% of the total weekly waste would be separated which would go for recycling with a commitment to reduce the residue as part of a zero landfill waste policy in order to limit landfill costs. I pointed out that Cornwall CC had agreed to take 100% of our raw waste for landfill around 1992. The landfill residue under a separation and recycling scheme could amount to 20 to 40% of our waste and landfill costs would be even cheaper if we could persuade the Govt. to waive the landfill tax because of our additional shipping costs. I also pointed out that our waste, which I’m informed averages about 100 tonnes per week per annum, is possibly only 1/10th of the available weekly spare capacity on the Gry Maritha sailing to Penzance. The incinerator has to use a considerable amount of oil to burn our waste which could otherwise be used to power the Gry if we were to end incineration altogether.

    That would leave the whole of the Moorwell Alps to be transported to Cornwall in a one-off operation to an appropriate tipsite. This could be done in the summer months when the Scillonian would bring in all of the food. Then when returning from Penzance the Gry could bring in all of the rock armour and aggregate necessary for the building of new desperately needed sea defences. If the intention is to take large amounts of stone from the Pendrathen coastline as it was in 1987, then all of the houses in McFarlands Down will be put at risk of a hillside collapse.

    I would prefer to transport our waste via the Steamship Co. in order to support our transport links rather than pay the Duchy and a private businessman to dump large amounts of toxic waste in our precious coastal environment causing the pollution of our beaches at a huge cost to the lives of residents and considerable damage to our tourist industry. I would like to see Pendrathen turned into an outdoor theatre like the Minack to create what could be an unparalleled tourist experience.

    It’s about time the hotel owners on these islands started speaking up on behalf of Scilly’s natural environment which they depend on for their living. If SLR’s proposals to spread contaminants all over the islands are implemented, will hoteliers be advising their guests to avoid certain coastal and wildlife areas polluted by contaminated material producing toxic leachates and hazardous, windblown incinerator ash? I believe this Council’s policy is a direct threat to tourism throughout these islands and if tourists finally catch on and decide that Scilly is too badly polluted as they did in Spain some years ago, then tourism could die within just a few years.

  3. randolph hessing January 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm

    I cannot share this positive representation of the Moorwell issue. Relocating 13,000 tonnes of waste materials to Pendrathen would mean 1 lorry every 10 minutes for 200 days, 7 hours a day. It is well known that no waste separation or waste allocation took place at Moorwell for the last 45-50 years. There was no security and the site was unmanned most of the time. Everybody dumped any material known to man onto one big pile. On top of that the incinerater was inadequate to effectively burn waste. Every now and then a match was put to parts of the pile. Last time it burned for a week.
    These are ideal conditions to produce dangerous toxins.

    In summary, it is planned to relocate 13,000 tonnes o fwaste of questionable origin and composition down a residential access lane and dump it on a hillside where it will be stored and processed to then be distributed across the whole island. Apart from the severe distruption to local residents, 4 tourist businesses would be at risk.

    All water draining from McFarlands Down runs through the quarry into the fields below and into the bay, concentrating pollutants and potentially entering the food chain.

    There is no such thing as ‘inert/building rubble and material’.

    Dr Randolph Hessing