Local Man Receives Caution For Supply Of Cannabis

Police light 2St Mary’s police have cautioned a local man for the supply of cannabis.

The man in his 30’s had been charged with supplying around an ounce of the class B drug through the post.

The package was detected by workers at St Mary’s Post Office.

However, the Crown Prosecution Service decided that the man should instead receive a caution, in line with that given to the recipient of the package.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says a caution is only given where someone has made a full and frank admission.

18 Responses to Local Man Receives Caution For Supply Of Cannabis

1. Kev Wright January 13, 2013 at 7:10 am

Or Lee & Herring’s ‘This Morning with Richard, Not Judy’ (for those that remember this one)

“I AM ROD HULL! I AM HIM!!”

2. I'm Peter Reynolds, honestly! January 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm

This could turn out to become a classic scene from Monty Pythons the Life of Brian…
    “I’m Brian.”
    “I’m Brian, and so is my wife.”

3. The REAL Peter Reynolds January 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Apparently Peter Reynolds is a political news reporter from the legalise cannabis campaign how’s that for a coincidence

4. The REAL Peter Reynolds January 12, 2013 at 12:11 pm

To whomever posted their views under my name, I don’t appreciate your views being presented as mine. I find it personally upsetting and would like people to know that these are not my views and opinions. And if I find out who has posted these comments under my name, there will be consequences.

5. Shane Watson January 12, 2013 at 11:41 am

I love how there are more comments on this story than any other on this site .

6. Kev Wright January 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Also if it were made legal and regulated it wouldn’t be in the same ‘illegal’ class as other drugs and would most likely become less linked to harder drugs. A dealer who sells pot may sell other stuff too. If you can buy it legally from an outlet they’re less likely to offer you a few grams of suspicious looking power on the cheap!

7. Kev Wright January 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I wonder how many of these addicts had tried alcohol before cannabis, Bill? Maybe that’s a gateway drug too? I find the whole gateway drug thing to be nonsense myself. Yes it’s likely that if you’ve tried heroin you’ve probably had the odd spliff in your time too. But it’s unlikely that smoking a bit of pot is going to turn you into a crack addict. Utter rubbish.

8. Vuuie January 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm

“Bill Hiner
    January 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    I worked closely for many years with drug offenders. All of them were introduced to Heroin, Cocaine, Amphetamine and Crack-Cocaine by using cannabis first.
    It is a gateway drug. ”

To argue cannabis leads to other hard drugs is like saying alcoholism started from drinking milk, should we ban milk? this is crazy!
    There is nothing in cannabis that would pushes one to want to try another hard drugs such as cocaine, heroin, in fact only 1 out 104 cannabis user uses cocaine.

• Bertie Bassett January 12, 2013 at 6:44 am

Surely it depends on what type of person you are and if you have an addictive nature or stupid enough or unhappy with your life to experiment with drugs.

Ooooh, now I’ve done it!

9. Stavropol January 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I would in part agree with Peter, but for two points. It should not be available to anyone under the age of 21.
    You are wrong Peter, the scientific evidence available indicates it does irreparable damage to adolescent developing brains, it is not completely harmless. Post 21, there is little evidence it does any harm.
    Also many takers become hooked on it and tobacco, and we all know what that does.

10. Bill Hiner January 11, 2013 at 5:50 pm

It is a gateway drug.

• Si January 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Some might argue that alcohol is a gateway drug Bill, or legally prescribed pain killers or anything else that releases Endorphins, Oxytocin etc… Including the very basics of human nature such as sex! Does this mean coitus is a ‘gateway’ drug to stronger narcotics? The mind cannot always be tamed by some people hence why the choices in their life are not always the right one’s. But then who am I, or we, to decide what choices someone makes is to be the right on? On a social and moral level, acts by someone that introduces hurt, sorrow and pain to others is not deemed the right choice by many. On a personal level, in the form of taking narcotics, surely that person is free to choose whether or not they want to feel good, right? I, personally, think drugs like Heroin are bad for the user and the families of the user, but most of the others (with moderation) are relatively harmless.

• Nobby Nobbs January 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Just like beer is the gateway drink to a bottle of Scotch a day and alcoholism…….That’s a stupid argument.

People don’t wake up one day and think “ya know what I’m going be come a drug addict”.
      People become attracted and then addicted to drugs for a variety of reasons but mainly because they have something lacking in their lives more often than not, love and self respect usually because they’ve suffered some kind of emotional trauma often during childhood. People take drugs in the main to feel good, just like people drink alcohol to numb the pain. Did you know the majority of alcoholics in this country are retired people who are often widowed and live alone.

I would rather pass a group of people on the street who’d smoked a joint than a group who were p***ed on alcohol because I know which group would be the more civilised and safer to be around.

People have always taken drugs and people always will take drugs, just like people have always dunk alcohol, its a problem that will never go away, like with alcohol its better when its legalised and regulated otherwise you end up with the kind of vodka that makes you go blind. Same thing with drugs, legalise and regulate, that way people who do take drugs can get clean drugs that haven’t been cut with Ajax, Ketamine, diesel oil etc.

Mars bars are legal but I don’t eat them because I don’t like them
      I don’t take drugs either and if they became legal I still wouldn’t take them, but I’m realistic enough to know that the “war on drugs” has been lost and a different approach is required.

• Bertie Bassett January 12, 2013 at 6:54 am

These drugs aren’t safe. Both my cat and rabbit both died of cannabis overdoses.

You can’t argue with facts!

11. Nobby Nobbs January 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Nobby Nobbs agrees with the above

Alcohol related deaths last year…100,000
    Drug related deaths last year….2652
    Cannabis related deaths last year…0

Don’t believe everything the Daily Mail tells you

12. G Mercier January 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

The prohibition of cannabis is a waste of police and court resources. In this time of recession when our basic services are being cut by the Conservatives, it makes no sense to arrest and prosecute consumers of cannabis whose actions create no victims.

It is medically proven that cannabis is less harmful and less addictive than alcohol and tobacco.

It’s hypocritical to keep cannabis in the hands of the black market when regulating and taxing its sale just like alcohol and tobacco would solve the problems of cannabis such as gang criminality and sale to minors that we associate with cannabis.

13. Peter Reynolds January 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm

We need to stop this stupid and unwinnable war against cannabis. It is causing far more harm to our communities than it prevents. If we had a properly regulated system of production and supply we’d have no more illegal cannabis farms, instead we’d have thousands of new jobs. We’d have no more dealers on the streets. Cannabis would be available to adults only through licensed outlets and we’d have some control over the THC and CBD content.

Doctors would be able to prescribe one of the most effective medicines that has no serious side effects at all. At the moment the government has given GW Pharmaceuticals an illegal monopoly on cannabis so they make millions out of a medicine that you can grow in your greenhouse for virtually nothing.

If we introduced a legally regulated system we would solve nearly all the problems around cannabis. Science proves how much safer it is than tobacco, alcohol, prescription medicines and all other recreational drugs. If anyone does have a problem with it they could get help without having to confess to a crime.

CLEAR published independent, expert research last year which shows that a tax and regulate policy on cannabis would produce a net gain to the UK economy of up to £9.3 billion per annum.

It is a scandal that our government, our judges, our courts, our police and our newspapers keep misleading us about cannabis. Find out the truth for yourself and wake up to the lies you have been told.

• Andrew Murray January 11, 2013 at 8:23 pm