Mail Left Sitting In Penzance Over Christmas

Penzance Harbour

The Royal Mail has confirmed that a consignment of mail and parcels destined for the mainland from Scilly was left sitting at Penzance for almost a week over Christmas without being collected.

It appears that the container, containing letters and perishable goods such as food and flowers, was not handed over to Royal Mail by the Steamship Company after it was unloaded from the Gry Maritha on Thursday 20th December. A second container in the same load was collected.

The consignment was finally collected on Wednesday 26th December.

Lindsay Rodger, the manager of St Mary’s Post Office, said she was first alerted that something was wrong late on Christmas Eve, after receiving complaints that mainland customers had not received their flower orders.

She said she reported this to Royal Mail at the first opportunity after the Christmas break, early on Wednesday morning, who then went to the quay to collect the container.

Lindsay says she feels let down by this incident as her and the Post Office staff will be the ones who have to deal with customer complaints and hand out reclaim forms.

Adrian Booth from the Royal Mail said his organisation is currently in the process of collecting reports to establish what went wrong. He added they’ll be undertaking a full review to ensure that this doesn’t happen again in the future.

Nick Sanders, Commercial Manager with the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company, who run the contract for Royal Mail, said he didn’t have all the details yet and felt it was unwise to comment on an ongoing situation.

He said there will be an investigation and, once completed, he’ll report the findings back to Royal Mail.

Mail deliveries by air, to and from the islands, were recently disrupted by waterlogging at Land’s End airport, and transport by sea on the Gry Maritha is used as a contingency in bad weather.

14 Responses to Mail Left Sitting In Penzance Over Christmas

1. Kev January 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Alan – thank god for your sensible, objective comments. Anybody from outside the island community would think we are a whinging and entirely selfish community. The constant stream of negativity from these forums and FRIST do not show the islands in a good light and do the tourism businesses no favours.

2. not nobby nobbs January 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

get the facts right please.

the pallet of mail that was in the store on the 29th ARRIVED on the 29th and was off loaded from the gry at lunchtime as the ship was delayed by weather by which time the post office was shut !

SO where do you suggest the mail is stored over the weekend ?

3. Tony Smith December 31, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Funny how nothing has been said about the pallet of Royal Mail that was also found in the back of the St. Mary’s quay store on Sat 29th, that had been put there after the boat before Christmas.
    The mail is a bloody joke now. Christmas presents on New Years Eve, because people can’t be bothered.

4. JH December 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yes the Steamship Company are doing their best but this was a particularly bad error. We send our post in good faith and for it not to be delivered for over a week is pretty appalling.

I had a special delivery item in the consignment and it was worrying and disappointing when it did not reach its destination in time.

5. Pat Hicks December 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Well said Alan. think people need to try and shake off all these negitive feelings… stop listening to the rumours,gossip because none of us really know what is going on here.
    some might think they know it all , but i assure you, like me they dont..
    Except some of the councilors. and hopefully they will let the community know sooner rather than later, so we can all move on..
    Happy New Year to you all,.. even the beggers who like to slag me off and have not got the guts to do so to my face!! ha ha.
    happy 2013.

6. olive December 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Wondered where the present was from my daughter, but it is not the end of the world, these things happen. I think the crew of the Gry have done a great job in all the awful weather. I wish them and everyone a happy new year.

7. Alan Nuffield December 29, 2012 at 11:09 pm

There seems to be a lot of acrimony directed towards Skybus and the Steamship Company. For heavens’ sake it was not them that let us down, it was BIH going broke! I have no ulterior interest but it strikes me that Skybus, the Steamship Company and the Post Office, are doing their very best to serve us well. We should applaud and encourage their efforts at a very difficult time with apalling weather affecting not just us but the whole country.

8. Evie Moore December 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Silly boy Kev!

9. Tina December 29, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I believe that the gifts I sent to my family on the mailand were left in this container, I am very sad that Royal Mail didnt check and collect everything! However I am very grateful that the gifts I sent did reach the correct destination even if a little late. I have in the past posted large parcels which have vanished when collected by royal Mail, and yes I did add a return address and yes I did attempt to trace these parcels. Got to say though that the ‘lads’ do set sail for here in some appalling conditions, and I for one want to say a big, huge thank you to them.

10. Evie Moore December 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm

A lot of people were flooded out this Christmas, there was tragedy on the motorway on Christmas Day & people make an issue of receiving late post, shame on you.
    I too got some post late BUT I would like to praise everyone who did their best for us in atrocious weather & are still continuing to do so.

• Kev Wright December 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I don’t see why people shouldn’t complain about not getting the service they’ve paid for. It’s very sad but tragedies happen every day. Does that mean we shouldn’t complain about anything? You’re worried about flooding? There are thousands of children starving to death in the developing world. Shame on you. I expect that many people who sent gifts that didn’t arrive have dedicated time and/or money to charities that try and help less fortunate people. There is always someone worse off, Evie.

And I’d like to agree with Tina and say a big thank you to the guys on the Gry. Rather them out there on the sea in this weather than me!

11. Val Moyse December 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

My flowers posted on the 20th arrived 28th !!!! As Lucy says it is not on!!! Lack of communication on someones part and an apology to all those whose gifts did not arrive .

12. susan December 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Was gutted that my presents and cards didn’t get to my family and friends till after Christmas. That is appalling service. Needs to be looked into thoroughly and heads should roll.

13. Lucy Wilkins December 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

That explains why we only got our cards and pressies yesterday that would have been on that very boat! Disgraceful.