Big Switch On For St Mary’s Christmas Lights

The St Mary’s Christmas lights will be switched on this evening.

The event, which was originally started by John Hicks, has been running for over twenty years and this year has been organised by multiple groups and individuals, who have looked after different areas of the High Town and Old Town.

Maggie Perkovic is one of the organisers. She says it’s an island tradition, which highlights the best elements of life in Scilly.

Maggie says it’s something very special, just for Scilly, and many people home or visiting for Christmas appreciate the event.

At 6pm, the lights in Church St, Hugh St, The Strand, Quay and Old Town Bay and the Christmas Tree in The Park will be turned on by Daniel Perry, whose father Clinton has been heavily involved in the preparations. There’ll also be carols and a religious service.

If the winds and rain continue this evening, the event will be moved into the Scillonian Club.

9 Responses to Big Switch On For St Mary’s Christmas Lights

1. Naomi Badcock December 18, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for that Nobby Nobbs. much appreciated.

• Nobby Nobbs December 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

You are more than welcome, and I’m sorry my posts have caused you problems. It just goes to show that there will always be people who jump to conclusions without getting their facts right first.

This is why little changes in a community such as ours because people can’t tell each other what they think without causing offence and then you have to see that person over and over again, so you either have to suffer in silence or hide behind a pseudonym.
      I use the name Nobby Nobbs as it allows me to voice an opinion while still being able to walk amongst them.

2. Naomi Badcock December 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I am not commenting on the Christmas lights, (although I think the people involved a good job and the lights look great!). However, I am leaving a comment just to let people know that NOBBY NOBBS is NOT myself!!
    I have been stopped on numerous occasions by islanders asking me about comments left on Scilly Today by this Nobby Nobbs.
    I don’t read much of what goes on and certainly wouldn’t comment – if I did feel I wanted to comment I would use my proper name and not an alias.
    Perhaps Nobby Nobbs would have the decency to identify themselves.
    Naomi Badcock

• Nobby Nobbs December 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm

No chance 🙂

• Linda Badcock December 17, 2012 at 11:30 am

Nobby Nobbs
        On receiving uncomplementary comments from a person regarding what she thought were my daughters postings on this site I reiterate that Naomi is not Nobby Nobbs and for people to get facts correct before verbally abusing me. If however it does occur again I shall ask the uninformed to contact Radio Scilly direct and I trust they will concur with my comment as to the name behind the alias not being Naomi.Persons posting having to give an email address.
        I do trust that Radio Scilly will post this reply as a responsible media.

• Nobby Nobbs December 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm

As Nobby Nobbs I can confirm that Miss Badcock is NOT me. so who ever you are please stop blaming Naomi or I will have to find myself another alias

But this does go to show if nothing else how hard it is to have an opinion in such a small community hence the need for an alias 🙁

• Linda Badcock December 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm

How about Cecil Wormsborough St. John. minus the Nobbs.
            Thank you for your post above I do trust it gets through to folk.

3. Nobby Nobbs December 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I like the Christmas lights in town and think that they are simple and tasteful and create just the right festive ambiance, unlike those ghastly flashing ones that some people insist on adorning the outside of their property’s with.

I do wonder what is going to happen to the Scilly lights which the Sibleys so kindly donate each year as they are made up of the old tungsten light bulbs, I assume that the new type bulbs can be used in their place but at a much greater cost.
    Perhaps the council could spend some of the £29k social housing rebate they received earlier in the week maintaining the Christmas lights that benefit us all.

4. pat hicks December 15, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Well i always look forward to the turning on of the lights. it is always the the start of Christmas.. wish i could be there..
    thinking of you all and wishing it will stay nice and dry.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL