Police Say More Damage Reported

The islands’ police chief says he wants parents to check what their children have been doing following more damage caused to property.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says more of acts of vandalism have emerged over the weekend. They may be minor, he says, but they show a disregard for locals’ property.

Silage bales were damaged at Longstone Farm and a young child’s bike was taken from the new school bike racks and ridden around. It was discarded after the frame and handlebars were damaged.

A wooden gate that provides access to the Telegraph reservoir has also been attacked.

Colin says this isn’t serious crime but it stands out because we have so little here in Scilly.

He says adults can play their part in stopping this by questioning where their children are in the evenings and added most children will just be out enjoying themselves.

But he says the farm incidents are worrying because these are industrial areas where children can get hurt.

12 Responses to Police Say More Damage Reported

1. Katie F December 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I’d just like to have it on record that I very clearly agreed that the behaviour needs tackling. And Kev didn’t say that it didn’t need nipping in the bud. The points being made by all contributors are that the behaviour isn’t necessarily getting worse…

2. Bill Hiner December 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Only statistics can prove that! Over to Colin?
    My main concern is that adults who have contributed on this little debate seem reluctant to admit that it’s better to nip these acts of vandalism in the bud. I don’t agree with the “It’s always been like this” arguement. That’s the easy, blinkered option.
    I’ve never said that these islands are a Utopian idyll, they are far from that. The fact remains that we, as adults, ought to react to criminal acts commited by our young folk as totally unacceptable.

3. Katie F December 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Steve Sims’ quote is apt. Colin is right – of course these behaviours need tackling, just as they need tackling on the mainland – but I would disagree with Bill’s initial comments for two reasons. Firstly, I think it’s unfair to say that Scilly’s youngsters are ‘catching up’ with their mainland counterparts in all aspects of life. As far as I can tell, Scilly’s youngsters are often already ahead of their mainland counterparts in MANY aspects of life. Secondly, as has already been stated, nothing seems to have changed – it’s just easier for people to be kept informed via mediums such as this one.

I think, Kev, that the reason that people are harking back so much to the ‘good old days’ is that we have an ageing and declining population. Fewer pensioners grew up on Scilly or brought up their own children on Scilly, so they have a skewed view of the way that behaviours in young people have changed.

My last point (promise!) is that it seems to me that if anything the kids are monitored and brought to account much more often now than they were before – it seems from recent posts that it’s much harder to get away with illicit booze than it was when we were younger!

4. Kev Wright December 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

No one’s saying it’s acceptable, Bill. But I find it annoying when people keep saying things like our youngsters are worse than they use to be or our driving is much worse nowadays. It’s as if Scilly was some kind of utopia in some people’s eyes where nothing bad had ever happened until the last decade or so. It’s simply not true. Of course crime is bad. But I’d like you to explain to me how it’s worse now than it was in the past.

5. Bill Hiner December 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Funny how some people get defensive when the criminal activities of youngsters are criticised! How would any of us feel if we suffered a theft, act of arson or TWOC?
    Just because it has been done in the past, does’nt make it justifiable now. Ask the child whose bike was trashed if it was an acceptable “antic”.

6. Steve Sims December 11, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

7. Agnes Nitt December 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Probably because they are the police and know more than they are letting on.

8. Colin Taylor December 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm

With my police hat on I fully concur with Kev Wright. I don’t see this as symptomatic of a greater malaise that hasn’t existed before. It’s worthy of tackling however to prevent escalation.

9. Anon December 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Sorry but why are they assuming it was children? Adults are just as capable of doing this.

10. LINDYLOU December 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

KEVIN
    YOU ARE THE VOICE OF REASON, SPOT ON.

11. Kev Wright December 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Nonsense. There’s always been minor issues like this over here. When I was at school I can remember other kids (who would now be in their 30s) committing arson, theft, joyriding, smoking pot and other such crimes. None of them were particularly major (the arson was a small fire in a shed) and no lives were damaged in a particularly big way. I’ve heard stories from locals older than me of the antics some of them got up to that are even worse! It’s just a case that some youngsters will always get up to things they shouldn’t. There’s no bigger problem now than there has been in the past. Although ideally there would be no issues like this at all. But that’s human nature for you.

12. Bill Hiner December 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

It seems that the young folk of the islands are beginning to catch up with their mainland counterparts in all aspects of life!
    The times they are a changin’?