Councillor Questions State Of New School Paths

The path by the sea wall last weekend

The workmanship of the path alongside the Old Town sea wall and the route past the incinerator has been called into question in Council.

This was in response to a question posed by Cllr Richard McCarthy at yesterday’s Policy and Resources meeting. Cllr McCarthy noted that the path through Doyley Woods was incomplete with, “bits breaking up.”

He also wanted to know what had, “gone wrong” with the path along the sea wall and said he hoped the contractors hadn’t been paid yet.

Both paths were constructed over the school half term in October.

The Council’s chief technical officer Neville Gardner says his department is working with their mainland contractor to fix problems with the new surface.

He said the condition of both areas was noted immediately the work was finished and he has contacted them to discuss how they’re going to fix it.

He added that wet weather that struck following the start of the work hadn’t helped.

Locals, using social media, haven’t been impressed by the appearance of the path. Francis Hosking called it ‘disgusting’ and ‘a disgrace’ while Liz Martland referred to it as ‘an assault course.’

22 Responses to Councillor Questions State Of New School Paths

1. pat November 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Gosh nothing like getting personal ……
    think people are going off track here and missing the real issues.

2. Nobby Nobbs November 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

You’d have thought this would have been given some thought when planning the new school…..safe means of access, car park etc, simple basic things .
    Well done the council, another example of your ineptitude

3. Katie F November 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Okay, Diane, point taken. So are you also implying that the route wasn’t used because council employees live on the lane?

• Diane Cidade November 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

No, I wasn’t implying that at all, to be honest; are you? I don’t really make it my business to keep tabs on who lives where, although it’s pretty safe to assume that as the Council is the largest employer on the island, everyone on St. Mary’s probably only lives a stone’s throw from someone who works for the Council. So, no, that wasn’t my point at all. And I don’t condone throwing stones, just to be clear.

Anyway, with a bit of leg work and luck, I might be able to answer my own questions by finding the minutes for the meeting in which they decided that tearing up the road along Old Town Bay was the best choice for creating a safe path to the school, even though there seems to have been plenty of naysayers to the idea. Let’s not forget they also had to install those monstrosities on top of the existing sea wall, and the drains they used were unsympathetic to the surroundings, to put it politely. If they were prepared (read: obligated) to spend money contracting the work out to create the current path, which is a shambles, what were the other options they looked at, what were the pros and cons of them, and what would they have cost? What made them decide that putting a path that runs along a blind corner, and is very open to the elements, was the best compromise?

4. lynn November 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

There is no clearer reson other than the residents promptly nailed a notice stating it was a private road when a suggestion was mooted for access down Trench Lane.That does not stop people from walking the lenght of it and that would surely permit children on route to school, the far safer option, in my opinion. I do agree that car parking should not be permitted by parents on the school run.

• Todd Stevens November 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Thats miserable!! Whats wrong with having kids walk down your road to School? We have all the kids playing in the street here in Pilots retreat and its great!!- It gives the place life.

Whats the matter with these people??

• Katie F November 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’ve been down the lane a lot over the last few years as the nature trail is one of my favourite walks with my own kids. The only signs that I’ve seen up are from residents saying that it’s a private road and that, with this in mind, they don’t want people to park golf buggies on the corner. This, to me, seems reasonable. I’m guessing that the reason that children don’t walk to school down the lane is that they would then have to cut across a VERY damp and VERY boggy field at the end to get to the site. I can’t imagine that any of the residents would be irritated if parents decided to take/send their children in that direction, but in the winter you might end up with very dirty/miserable kids by them time they got to school! Afterall, a lot of residents on that lane have brought up children there and have grandchildren who visit regularly. My concern is that Todd is using this as another subversive way to ‘get at’ council employees because, yep – check out the phone directory! – several of them live down there.

• Diane Cidade November 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

The fact that the path is currently damp and boggy explains why they don’t use the path now. It doesn’t seem to explain why when they were looking at creating a safe way of approaching the school by foot that they didn’t develop that path to make it less damp and boggy so that it could be used daily by children and parents.

Old Town Bay used to look nice. What this photo shows is just ghastly.

• Todd Stevens November 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Do you usually assume peoples meaning katie? I made no reference to council workers at all. Its just common sense to have the children go down trench lane and have a purpose built path from its far end to the school.

I rather think it is you, Katie, that is being either subversive, or have an agenda, as you constantly keep having goes at me! (from the benefit of anonymity)

• Katie F November 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I’m less anonymous than some, but admittedly more anonymous than others! However, as has already been discussed on this site, if some are allowed to be anonymous so should everyone who wants to be be allowed. As it happens, I’m in the camp of not wanting my employer to know all of my opinions!

And, for the record, I’m not having a go at you. Again, many of the comments that I place on here (that are critical of all sorts of people!) aren’t put up, and you’re probably more likely to notice the ones that are aimed at you. It’s nothing personal, but I like the idea of spades being called spades. My opinion is that implication is more dangerous than anonymity and that clarity and transparencey (something that I think that HEART are campaigning for?) should be things that we all aim for.

• Todd Stevens November 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Before you were talking about subversion- now your talking about transparency and carity? I’ve only ever asked why there is no safe path to the school in the obvious place. If you stuck to the subject, Katie, then we would have the ‘clarity’ you so desire.

• Katie F November 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

“And the reason that Children cant turn down by Old Town Cafe and have a safe, vehicle free, foot path from the bottom of Well lane to the school is?????”

Is what you asked. Your multiple question marks imply that you think you know the answer. Therefore, I consider myself totally justified in asking you what that answer is, particularly as you are prone to getting personal when it comes to council staff.

• Todd Stevens November 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

If that is how you read it- then there is nothing more that I can add but- Paranoid.

• Katie F November 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Not at all! It’s not my lane. But if that’s the attitude that you take and if you think it’s appropriate to speak to people in this way then it says more about your sense of community than anything else. All voices and questions must be equally valid.

5. Katie F November 22, 2012 at 9:04 pm

If I was going to be pedantic I would point out that I didn’t express a view, but corrected an error. The thrust of my message is no less valid though ‘Local’; Todd should make himself clear – I don’t know what he means and I’m sure that other people would like clarification as well.

• Todd Stevens November 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Ok, I’ll ask a third time:- Does anyone know the reason why there is no safe path to the new School down Trench lane?

Is that clear enough yet Katie?

6. Local November 22, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Nice aguement Katie, some real good points raised with your pedantic views

7. Katie F November 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

I don’t know, Todd – why is it that the school children can’t walk down ‘Well Lane’ (it’s actually not called Well Lane, but there we go). I assume you mean Trench Lane? Could you make it clear? Insinuation won’t help any of us.

• Todd Stevens November 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm

So I got the road name wrong…big deal. Everyone knows the only safe route is to go down “Trench lane” -so why cant they be provided with a safe path to School, for the use of, and allowed access to it? A nice new £15m school and no safe route to get to it. Why?

8. A concerned local November 21, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I find it laughable that the purpose of this whole operation is too safe guard the children from the perils of the road enroute to school. Taking away a quarter of the road that continues around a blind corner will only cause accidents with motorists, cyclists and possibly pedestrians. And because the so called pavement is the same level as the road, if a vehicle is forced to move over to the side of the road, due to an oncoming vehicle, he/she will stand a better chance of hitting someone walking along on it. Putting slow signs up does not totally prevent accidents either, reaction times come into effect when confronted with a decision to take evasive action at such a blind corner.

9. Todd Stevens November 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

10. Robin November 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The path around Old Town Bay could qualify for an edition of Cowboy Builders. It is an absolute disgrace, and if anything has made matters worse. Not only is it a trap for large puddles, the surface is very uneven. It simply serves to force pedestrians further into the road.,