Traffic Accident In High Lanes

St Mary’s police are asking drivers to take extra care in the current weather conditions particularly when driving around the lanes of St Mary’s.

It follows a head-on collision between two vehicles in High Lanes on Saturday afternoon.

Sergeant Colin Taylor says the drivers were not injured and did not require hospital treatment.

As they both accepted liability and exchanged insurance documents the police did not attend.

Colin says the incident looked worse than it actually was to onlookers, who saw the damage to the vehicles, as cars are designed to crumple on impact.

12 Responses to Traffic Accident In High Lanes

1. Peter November 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hey everyone, I was NOT having a pop at anyone in particular! Here’s how it went in my mind when I originally posted: I care very much for Scilly and it grieves me greatly to see the islands going through turmoil just now. Regardless of any report on Scilly Today of any prang/accident/whatever, it remains the case that, during the last two or three visits, my wife and I have commented to each other on several examples of poor driving, and we thought so before reading the report. I’m not saying it’s any worse or better than the mainland or has got worse at any more rapid rate than on the mainland. When I saw the report on Scilly Today I decided this was a good opportunity to link to the report and make an observation in the hope that it might be helpful. And, Katie, I was NOT generalising! And I’m certain that the vast majority of drivers on Scilly drive well. I never said otherwise. I’m not going to apologise for what my experiences tell me. But this has got wider now: to paraphrase Chris Tarrant, “Katie, you just lost three thousand pounds”. That is about how much my wife and I put into your economy in the last year. And many many thousands before that. I’m not saying this expecting thanks, but I am saying that slagging off visitors and generalising (as, ironically, you accuse me of) about them is a good way to drive away the very people who keep you financially afloat. I started this chain with a two sentence comment and, given my tendency to write too much, I was pleased with my brevity. I’m therefore not going to comment or respond further.

2. Kev Wright November 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Lucy – don’t you realise that you’ve done exactly what you were mocking? Whilst I presented facts under my own name? Slighty hypocritical maybe? Exactly what have I twisted or had a cheap shot at?

3. Katie F November 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

That would include Peter himself then, would it ‘Lucy’?

4. Lucy November 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hey Peter, I think this is the internet and gives people the opportunity to take easy shots, try to get a rise and hide behind the cloak of anonymity. Unfortunately, engaging with them or even defending your corner doesn’t do any good and just gives them the opportunity to twist what is typed. Look on the bright side….. of all the locals and visitors there are, not many are reading this!

5. Katie F November 23, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Actually, with anorak wearing tourists on Scilly ‘wonders’ works just as well as ‘wanders’ so ‘sic’ to you too Peter. The problem with your comment is that you feel entitled to generalise. If we came to your AONB and said ‘the standard of driving here has deteriorated’ you too, with your unblemished record, would feel affronted. As I say, I can only hope that you have made your observations from the pavement.

6. Kev Wright November 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm

The problem was Peter that this was a very minor accident of the sort that happen anywhere and everywhere from time to time and are no one’s fault. To suggest it was only a matter of time because of our poor standard of driving here is offensive. I’ve driven here and never had an accident.

The worst accident I can recall here was when I was aged about 4 and was in the back seat of our car with my mother driving, carefully as you would do with 2 children i the back. A cyclist came hurtling out of the lane from Carn Vean, my Mum slammed on the brakes, although if we had been simply parked there he still would have hit us. His head shattered the windscreen and he was seriously injured. This was through no bad driving. This was a teenage holiday maker who’d left his brain at home and was thankful to be alive. All of us were scared and in tears. Thankfully he survived and came back the next year to apologise. Only a matter of time? That was nearly 30 years ago and was NOT the fault of bad driving on the islands.

7. Peter November 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Katie F says: “My spider senses tell me that Peter could be one of those tourists who wonders around in the middle of the road. In an anorak. Not moving when cars head towards him because the usual rules don’t apply on Scilly… Pipe down Peter and find a pavement!”. Ouch! Your spider senses are wrong, paranoid, offensive and display a stereotyped anti-visitor prejudice. Visitors are what keeps your islands solvent, so, as I too live in a beautiful tourist area (on the mainland), I suggest you refrain from such offensive remarks. I was careful to say the OVERALL standard of driving has deteriorated so as not to taint everyone. I don’t “wonder” (sic; I assume you mean “wander”) around in the road. That would be foolish. Yes, I sometimes wear an anorak. Who doesn’t? Problem is…? Of course I walk on the pavements! Actually, I live and drive (with 27 years’ unblemished driving licence) on the mainland in a tourist area where we have to be careful of SOME tourists. On the contrary, Katie, I am only too aware that the normal rules of driving apply on Scilly. What I was trying helpfully to point out was that by my observation over 26 years of visiting Scilly is that a few people on Scilly seem to think that the normal rules do NOT apply: driving on country roads in the reckless manner we have observed in Scilly is wrong, whether on the mainland or on Scilly. So, to both you and Kev Wright: crikey, I was only trying to be helpful! What’s up with you guys?

8. Robin November 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

The general standard of driving on St Mary’s is not bad, but there are a few who simply drive too fast and regard the white line in the middle of the road as advisory.

9. Katie F November 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

10. Kev Wright November 21, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m sorry Peter but I find that statement a bit rude and misinformed. You’re suggesting that a small prang is the result or a deterioration in driving skills of people in Scilly? I’ve lived here for 32 years and have known FAR worse traffic accidents, some resulting in very serious injuries, cars being written off etc. Traffic accidents are usually just that – an accident – and where you have cars they will likely be unavoidable (if rare on a place like this). If you think a minor prang like that is the result of our deteriorating driving skills in Scilly then you’d be very much mistaken. “It was only a matter of time?” This isn’t a first and won’t be a last. Do you not get traffic accidents where you’re from?

11. Peter November 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It was only a matter of time! On our last two or three visits to Scilly we have noticed that the overall standard of driving has deteriorated.

12. George November 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Could I clarify that me or my vehicle wasn’t involved in this crash as some people have told me that it was!