Island Parish Could Return To Screens

St Mary’s Parish Church

The TV programme credited for increasing awareness of the islands and encouraging more people to visit, could soon return to the nation’s screens.

Yesterday, Emma Hughes who works for production company Tiger Aspect visited to discuss proposals for a new series of ‘An Island Parish.’

Emma was keen to talk with some of the former stars of the fly-on-the-wall series, to see whether they would be willing to take part again.

The BBC is very interested in a final update on islanders’ lives and are considering airing around six episodes.

The series wouldn’t be set entirely in Scilly, but would also feature the Outer Hebrides, where the 6th and 7th series was set and Boscastle, where the original episodes were filmed in 2007.

At its peak, around 2 million people watch the part of the series that was set in Scilly.

There’s no information about who would be here to oversee the production. The director of the original series, Nigel Farrell, lost his battle with cancer last year.

The final decision will be made by the BBC before Christmas.

11 Responses to Island Parish Could Return To Screens

1. Rachel Reading February 18, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I’d dearly love to see how some of the people in the Island Parish are doing now. So I’d love to see this series made

2. Angela Pawlyn November 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I am a regular visitor to St Martins. In my view one series was enough. Each story was dragged out and I was irritated by inaccuracies such as “no cars on St Martins”. Is it co-incidence that the BBC have suggested another series when the school/council situation is so unhappy
    ? Perhaps the closure of the featured pub has also been a factor

3. michelle November 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Well I enjoyed it and would love to see it again. I’ve only been to st. Marys on 2 day trips and loved the scenery on the prog and hope it comes back. The locals came across as a lovely group of people

4. John November 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I agree with everything Nobby has said. Cost and value for money is the end stop.

My late Dad’s philosophy was “Better to be an optimist and proved wrong than a pessimist and proved right”. Something I have tried to follow for the last 80+ years and which I commend to the Islanders.

If only there were a direct flight from London City Airport we would be back.

5. Nobby Nobbs November 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Island Parish was all very saccharine and about as realistic of island life as Doc Martin is to that of a Cornish village Doctor
    but then that’s what the punters want to see, they want an escape from real life and Island parish gave them that in spade fulls.

The amount of interest in visiting the islands went up ten fold after each program until people realised how much it costs to get here.

6. John November 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m sorry if I ruffled a few feathers but see it also from an outsiders view.

The question was, did the programme bring more visitors rather than whether or not it was a true portrait of Island life. Nearly everywhere is down on visitor numbers now and all this adverse publicity does not help your cause at all.

Get it sorted and go out and get new visitors. If only we could return!

7. Kev Wright November 18, 2012 at 9:44 am

The way Scilly was portrayed upset a lot of locals and I know many people who fell out with the production team. It was a false representation – although it was undoubtedly publicity. Whilst working in tourism in Scilly I had explain countless times that was they saw on screen wasn’t real. I was asked many questions about the people portrayed and had to set people straight that a lot of it was “made for TV” and in some cases total fabrication! If the series returns it would be good if it reflected REAL island life, not what the scriptwriters want to portray. PS – I’m a Scillonian if that’s going to be a factor in this debate.

8. Paul Whittaker November 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

Hi John of St Albans,
    Just to let you know I live on St.Mary`s and have done for over 30 years. The filming showing the islands on Island Parish was great but the rest of it did not show what it is like to live and work on the islands at all. It is very different living here then being on holiday for a few days a year. It is not pessimism,it is realism.

9. Stavropol November 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Sorry John but Mr Whittaker is an islander, and I find your description of his comment a little uncalled for.

10. John November 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

How absolutely pathetic a response from Mr Whittaker (from where)? As I recollect visitors did increase following the original shewing which may have been due to the programme or not. Since then as Mr Whittaker does not seem to have noticed, we have all been subject to a world recession for the last three years or so.

We have had three holidays on the islands and love them, illness and disabilities have sadly prevented more. It saddened us to see and read of all the problems that now beset the Isles, headmaster, helicopter, council officers……….. We hope the determination and guts of the Islanders will prevail and shew the pessimists the door.

Pam & John.
    St Albans.

11. Paul Whittaker November 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Could someone tell me why Island Parish should get credit for encouraging people to visit the islands when in the last 2 seasons visiter numbers are the lowest they have been in years.
    No more Island Parish PLEASE!!!!!!