Porthcressa Memorial Benches And Plaques To Be Repositioned

The plaques featuring inscriptions to the memory of islanders and visitors who donated benches for use at Porthcressa will be displayed on the new fitted seats.

Yesterday, islander Maggie Perkovic voiced concerns on behalf of some local families who funded the seats so other people could take in the sea views enjoyed by their deceased loved ones.

Diana Mompoloki, who is overseeing the Porthcressa regeneration project, says some of those benches are deteriorating.

She says new, curved seating niches have replaced the benches along the seafront. The new benches are made of hardwood and will last for 20 to 30 years, says Diana, and the shape of the niches will also offer some protection to people from the wind.

Existing benches that are in good condition will be reused further back in the landscaping and any that cannot will have their memorials repositioned in the new seating areas.

15 Responses to Porthcressa Memorial Benches And Plaques To Be Repositioned

1. Edward December 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I think the bench looks brilliant and we should not worry about teenagers, it should be the last thing to worry about when there is something this brilliant in town.

2. Selena Baxter November 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

You are right Kev. Thank you Colin.

3. colin November 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Let me clarify. I do not live on the islands. I am simply one of those tourists that have visited the islands for more years than I care to remember. My house and garden have much memorabilia it it to keep those memories alive. I use this website daily as I do the others, simply because of my fondness for the place.

• Nobby Nobbs November 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It is so refreshing to see someone apologise these days, Lord knows there’s enough people in the town hall who could take a leave out of your book.
      I see from your comment that you live on the mainland so its an easy mistake to judge island kids by mainland standards.
      (I hope that doesn’t read patronisingly).
      Hopefully you will continue to keep visiting the islands 🙂

As for you LindyLou; Bar Humbug

4. Selena Baxter November 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Lindylou, I certainly will not apologise, as I’ve nothing to apologise for. I was not insulting the elderly at all. I was stating that our youngsters should feel able to socialise without being labeled Shifty, and drug takers .Where exactly did I insult the elderly in my last statement??? Simply saying that this isn’t just for retired people but also youngsters too!! Truth.
    I also stated that MOST kids are great, yes maybe the odd few need reminding, but that’s growing up. They don’t go about mugging people.
    I would suggest that you inform the parents as to the behaviour of the minority, that abused trick or treating. I’m sure they would be mortified and deal with it appropriately .

5. JeffEastick November 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

New Porthcressa seating looks very impressive.
    Believe me , local teenagers are very well behaved when compared to most on the Mainland. Encourage them . Dont blame them in advance.

6. LINDYLOU November 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm

NOBBY NOBBS/SELENA
    Insults directed to the elderly are out of line and an apology from you is due. Not all elderly residents object to youngsters as we have, been there done that and most probably have the T. shirt.
    Respect is a two way route. Having requested not to have trick or treat callers at my door a young man probably 10 years at most called me a miserable old hag, which I can assure you I am not. I respect the need for the young to be allowed to grow within our community just as I do expect similar respect from all other age groups to respect each other.

7. Stavropol November 6, 2012 at 10:10 pm

If Colin thinks these are like to suffer vandalism then why doesn’t he stand for council next year on the ‘lets install CCTV everywhere’ agenda, at least that would deter such things and make him feel safer. I might guess though more people would feel that CCTV is a little intrusive.

8. colin November 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Clearly I have completely misjudged this and as such, apologise.

Yes I am an old man and yes I am in all probability a grumpy one at that.

I was more than a teenager when I first landed on Scilly, in fact it was at the same time that Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and listened to the landing from Scillonia Cottage. In all my many many visits, have never encountered anything other than polite teenagers and was glad of them when on the boats, so yes, a quite knee-jerk reaction which was quite unjustified.

• Kev Wright November 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Can I just draw attention to the fact that Colin has apologised for these comments, something which isn’t addressed in the posts below. Whichever Colin this happens to be, thank you for being considerate and ‘man’ enough to take back your statement!

9. Selena Baxter November 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Good grief Colin, were you not once a teenager?The poor kids on scilly haven’t many places to go, so if they fancy meeting their friends on the bank on Porthcressa, or in the shelter on the strand, so what!!!!! They are good kids mostly. What would you have ? Them all locked up at home?? So they can’t congregate?? Yes they can be a bit intimidating, but this is their home , not just a retirement home!!! Grrrrr, ( rant over).

• Todd Stevens November 6, 2012 at 7:19 pm

This is funny Selena -I can almost see the viens swelling up! : )

• Nobby Nobbs November 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I agree Selena,
      There is precious little here on the islands for teenagers to do and the teenagers we have are angels compared to some of their mainland counterparts. Yes groups of kids can be annoying but our teenagers are never rude and never do any harm. I do wish some of the older residents would have a day off from complaining about young people.

I think pensioners in golf buggy’s are a bigger pain

10. colin November 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My initial thoughts were that they will make an ideal “hanging out” area for groups of teenagers, away from prying eyes, ie alcohol, smoking, graffiti etc. Don’t say it won’t happen because experience shows it does/did in the shelter.

Aside from that, a couple of shifty looking teenagers sitting there, innocent or not, is not conducive with elderly people joining them whereas they would if the seating area were open and less hidden.

Yes it looks good, but you have to look further than that.

11. Cassandra November 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

But isn’t this rather thoughtless?

As Maggie says the point about the existing benches is that they are positioned “so other people could take in the [same] sea views enjoyed by their deceased loved ones” (my brackets). Moving the benches or consolidating the plaques in one place presumably means that will no longer be the case.

I would be interested to know who’s responsible for maintaining the benches, is it the donors or is the Council? If it is the latter, is it a case, once again, of them not looking after things properly so a new replacement has to paid for from ‘funding’?