Former Chairman Worried For Future Of Scilly’s Council

Councillor Roy Duncan

A former chairman of the islands’ Council says he has never been so worried about the future of the authority.

In a letter to vice chairman Amanda Martin, following the suspension of chief executive Philip Hygate, Roy Duncan doubts whether the Policy and Resources meeting had the authority to act as it did.

Roy says, with the islands being scrutinized by government, Scilly could end up part of Cornwall Council with as much influence as parishes like Stithians.

In last week’s meeting, Philip Hygate’s lawyer challenged the Council’s authority to hold the meeting to suspend him. Some Councillors argued that was a scare tactic to stifle debate, but Roy says Mr Hygate would be likely to hire a good lawyer who knew his stuff.

He says he imagines he has a lot of experience, and assumes he has been chosen for expertise in that field.

Councillor Duncan added that it was “bordering on reckless” to ignore Mr Hygate’s lawyer’s protestations.

He’s written to all councillors warning that the chief executive may seek legal compensation. As only a quarter of councillors voted for the suspension, if legal costs mount, Roy believes those councillors should pay personally and not the ratepayer. He also wants the costs of Council officers’ time in this matter to be calculated separately.

Roy says some council staff have told him they are now demotivated and some workers have approached him to say Mr Hygate is not a bully.

Councillor Duncan feels Mr Hygate has achieved a great deal – the new school funding would not have been secured without him, he says, and the authority is doing well now because of his leadership.

Roy says he won’t go with a crowd that “is baying for blood” and he wants to speak out because he is following his own conscience.

Cllr Duncan says he would rather have had allegations dealt with through informal discussions, to allow Mr Hygate to explain his position. And he adds that none of the last seven Council chairmen have voiced these concerns about the chief executive.

He is worried that the matter could drag on for many months.

Mr Hygate remains suspended today, as part of a neutral act while investigations into the allegations can be carried out.

47 Responses to Former Chairman Worried For Future Of Scilly’s Council

1. Agnes Nitt January 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

I trust Andrew George. He’s never let us down before.

2. Fran Grottick January 11, 2013 at 10:11 am

Just to confirm, as posted in response to another
    item, that Andrew George has written to say that there is NO threat to our Unitary Authority.He also suggested that any such sugggestion should itself be subject to further scrutiny.

3. Nobby Nobbs November 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm

The trouble the council has, is with the exception of one person (who is unfortunately leaving) there is no obvious choice to take over the role of chief executive. I would go through all the senior officers one by one and list their individual faults but I’d just get moderated, suffice to say “in my opinion” with the exception of the aforementioned one who is leaving, none of them are either suitable or capable

If the Chief exec does get the chop (and I sincerely hope he does) the council really ought to look at operating without a ceo, at least that way power would be defused rather than concentrated. After that it’s up to the councillors to hold the officers to account in a robust manner.

4. Todd Stevens November 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Ha ha ha, lots of my comments never make it up thats for sure! and those that do have usually been moderated. : )

5. Jenny Green November 11, 2012 at 10:45 am

It is an interesting position to take; that the Isles of Scilly Community is in someone indebted to the CEO.
    The Scottish Isles, frequently referred to in the argument on parity have all had enormous amount of grant money given to them.
    New schools, sports centers for many isles, some with populationsof just a few hundred, swimming pools, extra care or supported living elder care housing, up-grades and extensions to quays & harbours and large social housing projects. Far more than what has been spent on the Isles of Scilly. The Scottish Isles also do not support tiny Unitary Authorities of populations of 2,000. They Islands remain unique within a supportive Scottish Local Govenment framework. One Island with a population of approx 800, have seen new schools, a new care home, a sports centre, with swimming pool, social housing and quay development work. They have just one elected Councillor and no Unitary Authority. The evidence is out there to disprove the ‘one person we must thank theory’.

6. Stavropol November 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

Okay Simon, look I get your ‘drift’. Yes it is moderated but for a site to be taken seriously and not go fueling idle gossip, such as that which has the BBC in some strife at the moment, it is a somewhat necessary evil.
    Yes the editors can allow more of one side than the other, should they have bias, but I would assume the Radio Scilly team be fair and impartial for the most part. They seem reliably so.
    I’m sure the large amount of traffic this site is generating given the hot topics at the moment are certainly helping their advertising fees but so what, wouldn’t everyone like that? They have seen an opportunity and grasped it, we’ll done, it works for all involved and participating.

7. Simon November 11, 2012 at 1:00 am

You think wrong Nobby Nobbs. That is not what I am trying to say. I said that “the only comments you see are the ones “allowed”. Not a word about taking sides. Simply put we do not KNOW what has been withheld, Because it has been withheld. Therfore we do not know what is representative, we can only assume.

8. Simon November 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I would disagree with Stavropol on his last point. This website doesn’t “Work”. It is a comments page for a news vehicle for Radio Scilly. It is moderated and therefore the only comments you see are he ones “allowed”. Hardly representative of the island internet community, let alone the community at large.

• Nobby Nobbs November 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I would agree with you that this site is moderated but I think what your trying to say is that this site only allows anti Chief officer posts and rejects all the posts supporting them; however you’re wrong, for every post of mine that you can read, at least three have been rejected which although I find very annoying proves that the comments that make it through the moderation process are from both sides of the argument.

The thing I think you have trouble accepting is that the majority of the comments that are sent to this site are very anti the chief officer and this is our only way of expressing our discontent.
      There is nothing to stop the hordes of Hygate supporters from posting comments on here and from time to time one does, but the fact of the matter is more people dislike than like

9. Stavropol November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

Remember, good lawyers are not cheap, and eventually, as cost escalate, there comes a time when every plaintiff has to measure cost verses outcome.

How deep are the your pockets? Oh course the more desperate the plaintiff gets the easier to goade him into spending more. Eventually the only winners are the solicitors!

10. Stavropol November 10, 2012 at 2:41 am

It is obvious Mr Hygate is employing the services of good lawyers. Good lawyers are good at writing threatening letters, to achieve their aim, which is most often to gag or suppress any further action, verbal or otherwise on the part of the recipient.

Now I have recieved such letters from such lawyers in the past, so I say from experience, it is a last ditch effort by the lawyers to achieve some sort of fear. That fear is the only thing they can reasonably use because it is completely cost prohibitive to go making a civil claim against the recipient and further more the likelihood of being successful in actually proving something is very small. Even furthermore, in this case they lawyers would be looking at making at least a dozen claims. Likelihood of success? Zero.

Resolve is what the people of Scilly need. The truth will out.

That is another great reason why this website works, it gives the many voices that have had fear used on them, to express their views without fear of retaliation from the culprit.

11. Todd Stevens November 9, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Sorry, Roy, but in order to make comments like these, you are clearly oblivious to the plights of many and thus out of touch. To be a good councillor you need to have your finger on the pulse at all times.

12. Todd Stevens November 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I think ts easy for somone like Roy to come out and support Hygate- but would he think twiice if J Hicks; C Stevens; S Pender; C May; Mr & Mrs Wilby; myself; etc etc etc etc -were a member of his own family??

I think it is he who is being insensative- if not blinkered- here.

13. Pat Hayden November 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm

It is very easy to criticise a person when it is done anonymously. For all those of you not willing to put your proper name, I hope your comments are completely ignored by those willing to be identified.

• Nobby Nobbs November 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Some of us would like to put our real names but fear the reprisal that would follow from the town hall, which is what this whole issue is all about.

14. Carmen Stevens November 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

One of my B&B guests has read this article and emailed me his comment which is as follows:

Mr Duncan is trying to perpetuate the “climate of fear” by saying the islands may lose their unitary status. I do not believe there is any risk of that happening. Indeed, Lord Hesletine recently produced a report for the Government on how to regrow the economy and one of his recommendations was to increase local action and control through the creation of unitary councils in areas where local government is two tier.

• Nobby Nobbs November 9, 2012 at 12:44 am

Localism is all well and good up to a point but what you tend to find happens is that small partisan cliques get themselves elected and end up taking over and implementing policy’s that suit their agenda; our council and school governors being perfect examples of localism in action.

I would suggest these are two examples where organisations can be run better when they are run from afar by people with no vested interest or local agenda to pursue, who’s only function is to run the organisation in the interests of the recipients, in this case, the pupils and the electorate in a manor that is fair, legal and accountable.

Because quite frankly both the council and the governors have failed on all three counts. I would however like to qualify that statement by adding that there are some excellent councillors and governors who work extremely hard in the interests of this community in not very pleasant circumstances for no reward and very little thanks, you know who you are and I thank you for all your effort and dedication.

15. Kev Wright November 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Jeff – you’re quite right. But unfortunately these issues NEED to be resolved – and done so correctly – in order for Scilly to begin working together again and making it a desirable and affordable place to visit, which it currently may not be in some people’s opinion. We can’t just sit back and accept any form of corruption/bullying (on this forum or in the community) and correct protocol not being followed. We need to get the community working together again and working properly. There are issues to address, they can’t just be brushed under the carpet. It’s my hope that they are correctly addressed before too long. But we, as Scillonians have a right to express our opinion on these matters and get to the root of the problems that have caused all this mess we’re currently reading about each day.

16. JeffEastick November 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

As an outsider I cannot comment directly on the matters regarding Mr. Hygate or Mr.Wilby but it is sad to see such division and acrimony on these pages in a community for which we have such affection. Scilly needs to attract more visitors for its long term future and I am afraid if holiday makers who have yet to sample the delights of Scilly browse these pages to get a taste of the Islands , I feel they are likely to go elsewhere.

17. Bloody Stupid Johnson AKA Steve Sims November 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I don’t think it’s a bad thing for a councillor to voice his concerns, rather the opposite in fact. I’ve known Roy Duncan for a long time and I have no reason to doubt his honesty or his integrity. And it is absolutely right for him to express his concerns, and given some of the comments here, bravely so.

Roy says Mr Hygate has achieved a great deal, of course he has, it would be ridiculous to claim other wise. But why is that relevant, mitigation is not the issue here. Phil Spector wasn’t let off with a suspended sentence for murder because Da Do Ron Ron was a great record, though it wasn’t all that. And certainly Mr Hygate got the council out of the mire during the airport runway affair 20+ years ago, but again so what!

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this case, it is an undisputed fact that the IOS Council has come into disrepute under Mr Hygate’s stewardship. Which is an issue that can’t be, and hasn’t been, ignored.

And as for the Council coming under mainland control, who in their right mind would want it?

Finally, I would say that the grounds for Mr Hygate’s suspension appear to have a considerably better foundation than Mr Wilby’s, which it seems had very little or no foundation at all.

• Todd Stevens November 6, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Well put Steve. I agree with almost every word. Though I cant quite see what achievements were made under his leadership. Just about everything is in melt down.

Waste mis-managment; seweage system failing; Airport runway issues and airport money issues; Route Partnership failed; Porthcressa 6 months late; School and Council under investigation; Public relations are an utter disaster; He himself is suspended over his own conduct. and to cap it all -his actions being constantly in the media could possibly have an effect on our tourism too. Surely even Roy can see he has to go???

18. ANTHONY November 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

People are forgetting the real issues now and getting personal.
    its sad when people feel the need to send poisnes emails to others.
    the real issue is the way certain people have behaved towards certain individuals.
    weather it be right or wrong. it needs to be sorted.
    SO PLEASE LET THE INVISTIGATION PROCEED AND END BEFORE YOU START SLAGING EACH OTHER OFF.

19. Cassandra November 6, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m also a bit surprised by Roy Duncan’s intervention. I’ve always had him down as a kind of ‘backbench’ grandee who brought a wealth of experience and local knowledge to the Council rather than a member of the pro-officer tax and spend lobby or the Stop Hygate insurgency.

20. Lawrence Upton November 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I value this website greatly because it tells me so much about what is going on in a place I care about greatly. I am very much aware that I am an outsider. Because I am an outsider, I hesitate to say too much.

But I did make a brief comment on the report on Councillor Duncan; and, having read others’ responses to the article, I’ll risk saying a little more. It reminds me of a number of situations I have been aware of elsewhere; though I shall not go into detail.

I was prompted to make my brief comment largely by Duncan’s reported cliché “baying for blood”. While some have been immoderate, that seems to me an exaggeration.

And I put more trust in those who act clearly on their consciences than in those who volunteer they are doing so from the outset.

I had in mind, too, the appalling treatment of Mr Wilby. The warning that to protest formally may make things worse is familiar and, in my opinion, reprehensible.

These are not clinching arguments, but they are not, I think, unreasonable comments.

Now, in that connection, it has been said that Mr Duncan’s reported words are the voice of reason. Really?

QUOTE “He says he imagines he has a lot of experience, and assumes…”

QUOTE “Roy believes…”

QUOTE “He also wants…”

QUOTE “Councillor Duncan feels”

Imagines, assumes, believes, feels, wants. No objective substance.

Was Mr Wilby allowed to explain HIS position informally?

I do not see Reason here. I do see special pleading.

And: “some workers have approached him to say Mr Hygate is not a bully.” Well, that’s all right then, isn’t it? That’s evidence, is it?

Maybe it is all ok. What would I know?

It doesn’t sound ok. It doesn’t sound ok at all.

• Nobby Nobbs November 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Absolutely spot on Mr Upton but unfortunately your words will be ignored by those few who would like the status quo to continue because honesty and reason are beyond them

• Cassandra November 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Don’t be shy about posting because you think you’re an ‘outsider'; it doesn’t devalue your views in any way. Coming at the issues from a different perspective can only benefit the discussion.

21. Christian May November 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

It’s hardly bullying for a member of the public to say they’re saddened and disappointed by Cllr Duncan’s stance. It’s not bullying to accuse him of having his head in the sand, and it’s not bullying to pick apart its statement. It’s called democracy, and the islands could do with a far higher caliber of democracy than the fig leaf that passes fot it now.

One of the more shouty commenters here said it was “absolutely disgusting” for me to call Cllr Bennett “shameless.” Well I’ll say it again if need be. In fact, a large swathe of Scilly’s elected representatives should hang their heads in shame for years and years of turning a bind eye, doing as they’re told, ignoring malpractice, accepting what they were told and generally being compliant whilst the Officer class did whatever it wanted – to whoever it wanted.

People should spend less time being offended on behalf of others and more time looking at the bigger picture. Politicians should have a slightly thicker skin that comes from having stood for election, though for the IOS Council (and some seats in particular) these elections haven’t exactly been arduous. Again, something else that could be improved. All for the longer discussion.

I am disappointed in Councillor Duncan, and I’m also surprised at him. I know more than I would care to about the conduct and character of the Chief Executive and I’ve been in London for the last 4 years – so it stands to reason that Councillors Duncan and Bennett et al should know even more. Therefore a failure to back the suspension and support the very real concerns put forward by (among many others) Julie Hicks, can only be down to one of two things; ignorance or vested interest. Neither of which are good for the electorate.

The good old days of a secretive Town Hall and a council who won’t rock the boat are fast coming to an end. When that end arrives, a great cloud will be lifted from the community and perhaps people will remember what it was once like to not be divided, to not be fearful of speaking out, to not have to watch what you said or who you said it to, to not fear the loss of employment, housing or contracts, to live in an open community, to trust the decision makers and respect the Councillors, to benefit from transparency and to have a Town Hall that doesn’t spend most of its time and money on fighting fires, paying off complainants, burying FOIs, persecuting individuals and running up secretive legal costs.

It may seem far fetched but it cannot be far off.

• Nobby Nobbs November 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Well said young Christian

• Todd Stevens November 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Christian you speak like one of those who have had personal experience. Welcome to the club. It is people like you and I that know the truth of it. Others who have not yet had that pleasure may never ever understand until somthing happens to them to open their eyes.

I too dream of the day when that cloud will be lifted. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

22. Stavropol November 6, 2012 at 10:15 am

Surely Mr Duncan’s statement illustrates his own fear of Mr Hygate, suggesting his legal representatives are superior and suggesting Councillors be personally responsible. Logically then, Mr Duncan pehaps feels Mr Hygate is going to be personally responsible for Mr Wilby’s claim?

23. Richard November 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

Pat Hicks evidently thinks she speaks for the majority of the electorate – but she certainly doesn’t speak for me – or many people I have spoken to. I think Councillor Duncan has been incredibly brave in coming forward like this. Pat – you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but please don’t presume to speak for the entire electorate. Some of us have felt incredibly powerless and bullied by a small, but very vocal contingent of the comunity. I shall not be bullied into silence by people who refuse to present evidence to back up their accusations and merely state ‘they have heard some things’. Thank you Roy for standing up for what is right.

• Stavropol November 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Nice of you to get personal Richard. Not something I think is fair given like me, you choose to remain anonymous. At least Pat puts her name to her opinion.

24. James November 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

Well done Councillor Duncan. Everything you have said is so right, and has needed saying for far too long. Coming with the authority of a former Chairman it should carry considerable weight. Surely it is significant that none of seven former Chairmen of the Council have voiced concerns about the competence and effectiveness of Philip Hygate. It is hardly surprising that Council staff are feeling demotivated when all they get is criticism from a small but powerful minority of Councillors, and bile from members of the public in comments on Scilly Today. In the peculiar way that the islands are governed, Councillors and Council employees should be working together for the good of the community, and not acting in a way that is divisive and destructive. Councillor Duncan has spelled out very clearly the risks of the present course of action, of Scilly becoming merely a parish council as part of Cornwall Council, and of the huge potential financial cost to the Council. He also rightly points out some of the achievements of the Council over the years, successes that would never have been gained without sound and effective leadership. There are big issues facing the Council at present, and the last thing it needs is the distraction and rudderless uncertainty of the suspension of its Chief Executive. Lets hope that this sorry episode can be put behind us quickly, and those responsible for stirring up this mess are held to account. It is time for the voices of reason and experience to be heard.

25. Rincewind November 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Well if anyone needed any convincing that some councillors are completely out of touch with what is going on, then Roy Duncan has provided the answer!

Some senior council officials have created this problem for themselves and now want some else to blame for it. As for the shameless 5, I think you know what you need to do and in the famous words of Black Adders telegram. In the next election STOP. Look at what you’ve done STOP And Please please please STOP being councillors.

26. Rose November 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

Some of you sound like bullies and its not nice. Surley Mr Duncan can share his opinion and thoughts on this matter. Without being told he has dissapointed and saddened them. It all sounds like tittle tattle.

27. Adam Morton,St.Martins November 6, 2012 at 12:34 am

I would hardly accuse the councillors of anything so dramatic as a lynch mob Joby ,organising a pissup in a brewery would be a great achievment for them! I often hear quoted that the CEO does good work bringing in grants,Im sorry but is that not his job? which he gets paid handsomly for,was it not also his job seeing this ROUT partnership scheme through,just how is that doing?has not the coucill and councillors failed to keep the airport solvent,have not the council failed to make any impact on the waste issues or indeed on any issue of any meaningfull value.They will no doubt dine out for years on the having obtained a new school which most at the time were under the impression had as much to do with the head master as anyone and as soon as there was a hint that the school may assume accademy status ranks were joined till he was disposed of with never a word of objection from our esteemed councillors!We have a huge building program costing millions but instead of offering it in bite sized chunks for local firms and keeping the wealth in scilly, its easier to farm it out to a mainland firm .Talking of value for money who ever heard of a tiny library ,a toilet block and a path costing over £4million.Any monkey can be trained to sit in a planning meeting and say yay or nay to a planning consent or divvy out our hard earned cash ,but it takes initative to come up with answers to the real problems ,answers that are met with peripheral window dressing.I have no objection to HODs and CEO getting their pay increases if they do their jobs!Dont try and tell me that somhow our tinpot council equates to the work levle of a district council even in cornwall ,we have 2000 people! If you dont want intrigue dont keep holding secret meetings.No one believes in the council because thers never a straight answer,whats the bet the huge FOI bill is to dissuade people from asking, where as in fact it relates to legal advise as to wether they can get away with denying it?Much noise has been made about this FRIST movement,all this so called “scottish report” is freely available online,so is everything related to highlands and islands,CMAL,and a host of other stuff,and guess what their tourist numbers are going up whilst ours go down.
    The house of commons had to clean up its act and become accountable and its expected to perculate down to the councils too.Still I wonder if any of those who complain will stand next may ?or will the CEO reinstate himself and rule the roost as befor with all his unsuspecting minions.

28. Nobby Nobbs November 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I spoke to a councillor today who said that Roy hardly ever turned up to council meetings anyway, so finds it a bit rich to be lectured on process and procedure

29. Joby Newton November 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

‘but i have heard things over the years……’ Pat Hicks

I think this quote sums a lot of problems in Scilly at the moment

30. samson November 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Does Mr. Christian May count as part of Councillor Duncan’s electorate as he is not a resident of the Isles of Scilly?

31. Pat Hicks November 5, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Well Mr Duncan i am rather dissapointed in you. i feel that you have not given your electorate or your fellow councillors any support.
    it seems as tho all that has been said by Mrs Julie Hicks, Mr Christian May etc has fallen on deaf ears… Can you tell us Roy do you not believe anything that has been said or been going on here.
    i have nothing against Mr hygate. but i have heard things over the years which is not good. most of the councillors have been full of all the funding that comes in, but not dealing with the personal issues and problems that mr hygate etc seems to have caused.
    And i am sure they the councillors that have taken it this far would have taken legal advice… All i can say to them is thank you for listening and acting. ..
    Like alot of people here i want a peacefull life and hopefully it will come again.

But I really am sadden and dissapointed in you Mr Duncan..

32. Nobby Nobbs November 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

So Cllr Duncan has nailed his colours to the mast and now we know where he stands.
    Cllr Duncan states….
    “only a quarter of councillors voted for the suspension”
    Exactly the same amount of Councillors who voted through the 22% payrise Roy

“if legal costs mount, Roy believes those councillors should pay personally and not the ratepayer”
    Roy if you want to go down that road the same logic could be applied to all the legal fees incurred by the tax payer at the behest of the suspended chief executive, perhaps he too could pay back all the legal fees the council has paid out for actions he has instigated.

“He also wants the costs of Council officers’ time in this matter to be calculated separately” why’s that then?

Roy says some council staff have told him “they are now demotivated”
    I think this would be a very ‘elite’ number of workers, don’t you

As to the “we’re going to be taken over by Cornwall” scare tactic, even if that were true, our council would only have it’s self to blame.
    The councillors who have called for the suspension of Mr Hygate have done so, I assume for good reason and if proved founded then it will have been the actions of Mr Hygate that has brought the council into disrepute and not the councillors who have decided to take action to bring the council up to the required standard of a civic authority.

The council as it stands is not really fit for purpose and is viewed by the outside world as a tinpot dictatorship, so the work being done by the councillors to rectify this should be encouraged and not dismissed.
    I agree with Sue’s comment above, I’m sure the correct process HAS been followed in THIS instance
    Hopefully next May’s elections will remove some of the councillors who have allowed this state of affairs to happen.

33. Jenny Green November 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Surely this, as with the Head Master, is about evidence and only evidence.
    Is there is evidence to support the next step in both cases, then there is a formal disciplinary procedure. This should have nothing to do with being pro Mr H or pro Mr W. I have never spoken to either, but I do understand employment law, which on the face of it, appears dubiously applied in the case of Mr W.
    This is about employment procedures, which happen day in, and day out in the UK. If an employee’s professional conduct is found not to be acceptable then they can be dismissed from their employment.
    The education of the Island’s children and future economy of the Isles will not depend on either Mr W or Mr H. They are fallible humans.
    It is bazzar to imply that one person’s contribution to a community is so vital that the economy will fail without them. We all contribute, to the on-going sucess of this community, is’nt this what a community is about, it is not a cheifdom.

34. Joby Newton November 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

A voice of reason rises above the lynch mob. Well said Roy. This isn’t a matter of like or dislike it is about correct procedure.

This could end up a very expensive battle and it would be a massive shame if Scilly was to lose its small bit of Independence for rash decisions and incorrect practice.

Scilly is in a precarious position with its key industry and certain members of the community allying themselves with organisations such as the Taxpayer’s Alliance (Ironic as a large part of the main demograph of that organisation seem to do their utmost to evade as much tax as possible) will only draw further negative attention.

People need to stop creating camps and dividing the ‘community’ due to their own personal issues……………….

Of course the main point of this message will be overlooked, I’ll be accused of being a Phillip Highgate fan and the usual suspects will go back to creating more gossip and hearsay and creating highly unbalanced arguments weighted on any random points they see fit…..

• Sue November 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

And, like Mr Duncan, another person ignoring the fact that the council HAVE taken proper legal advice and DO have the backing of the Local Government Association.

There is no reason to believe that the meeting that took place last week was anything other than correct and proper.

Does Mr Hygate’s lawyer somehow know more than the others? Or, is he, as would be expected, simply interpreting the law in favour of his client?

In which case, Roy might look less like a ‘voice of reason’ and more like an ostrich with his head in the sand.

35. Robin November 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

If the Council released the Auditors’ Report which resulted in Mr Wilby’s suspension, it might help to clarify matters. The seeming refusal to allow Community Charge payers and voters the opportunity to see the contents of the report is very worrying. Are certain officials and Councillors afraid that it might help Mr Hygate’s position? Democracy demands that the report is made available to enable us to hold those we elect and appoint accountable.

36. Lawrence Upton November 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Nothing like an unbiased opinion free of scare tactics is there

37. Babs November 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Councillors like you only have your selfes to blame if the power is taken away……