MP Says New Cornwall Leadership Could Save Penzance Harbour Plan

North Pier in Penzance

MP Andrew George has asked the Transport Minister to hold open the £8 million grant offer for the Penzance Harbour scheme for “a day or two longer” in case Cornwall Council has a change of heart on the plans.

This follows the recent ousting of Cornwall County Council leader Alec Robertson after ongoing internal disputes over his plans to part-privatise key public sector services.

Cllr Robertson told the Government earlier this year that it was not prepared to take on the proposed £8 million development drawn up by the Penzance community and headed by the Town Council.

Mr George says he was disappointment that the “relatively strings free offer” of an £8 million investment grant for Penzance harbour was rejected by Cornwall Council in the manner that it was.

“If Cornwall Council were to have a change of heart at this stage,” he said, “I hope that the whole community would come together to congratulate the Council and its new leader.”

Andrew says he doesn’t believe this will delay any potential investment in the St Mary’s harbour scheme. And the proposed Penzance development should bring “massive improvements” in freight handling and “make the whole harbour environment more agreeable for visitors.”

 



5 Responses to MP Says New Cornwall Leadership Could Save Penzance Harbour Plan

  1. Nobby Nobbs November 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

    In all fairness to Todd, its common knowledge that it was the attitude of the suspended ceo that rubbed people on the otherside of the water up the wrong way, and now he is no longer in post perhaps fences can be mended, compromises made and everyone can engage solution mode.

    • Todd Stevens November 4, 2012 at 5:14 pm

      Thank you. Im afraid he was holding us back more than a lot of people realise. Rubbing people up the wrong way has always been his problem and has always caused opposition. Maybe Im wrong- but, sadly, I beleive this is a classic example of one of those occasions.

  2. Simon November 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm

    You should stand for council Tod, with your ability to link any story here to the Chief Executive, you could work wonders in the chamber.

    • Todd Stevens November 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

      The Route partnership was his baby. This would have been his greatest triumph. It was all set to go ahead until Cartwright led the objection. Would the objection at the PZ end ever have even been put forward at all, if it hadnt have been so fervently driven on by Cartwright?

      The two having history is Probably just a coincidence. : )

  3. Todd Stevens November 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm

    Will the opposition that came before, that was led by Charlie Cartwright, possibly now dissappear too, now that Hygate has been suspended?? As I understand it, the two had history.