Resident In Hospital After Blaze In Hugh Town

Porthcressa Flats

Investigations continue this morning following a serious blaze at a first floor flat on Porthcressa Road, in the small hours of Sunday morning.

Dennis Widdup returned home from his late night shift at St Mary’s Co-op yesterday morning at around 3am to find his home ablaze.

He called 999 and the St Mary’s fire crew responded rapidly with two appliances. Firefighters using breathing apparatus entered the smoke filled property to find and rescue Dennis’ wife Mo.

The fire was extinguished at just after 4.15am but crew stayed on-site until after 6.30 am using extraction equipment to remove smoke and check to ensure that the fire did not reignite.

Police Sergeant Colin Taylor was called out to the incident. He said it wasn’t immediately apparent that there was a fire inside.

Both Dennis and Mo were taken to St Mary’s hospital and Mo was flown to Frenchay hospital in Bristol by the RNAS Culdrose helicopter for treatment for burns and smoke inhalation.

Sergeant Taylor said Dennis was able to walk to the ambulance and is being cared for by friends and family.

Colin says they didn’t require neighbours to leave their homes.

Police are not investigating any suspicious circumstances.

The couple’s friends, as well as staff and management at the Bishop and Wolf and Atlantic Inn, have been offering their best wishes for the couple’s speedy recovery on Facebook.