Collapsed School Amphitheatre To Be Fixed By June

Subsidence under the amphitheatre

The remaining problems with the Five Islands School build are just snagging issues, Councillors have been told.

Council Chief Executive Philip Hygate told Members that says most of the remaining work was related to “fine detail finish” and falls within what is expected by the Royal Association of Architecture.

But Philip added that one floor in the science classroom will need to be re-laid in the holidays. The contractors will pay for that work, and reconstruction of the amphitheatre.

Engineers are currently trying to find the best way to fix that walled area at the School entrance. Meetings have been held with the builders on site after the tiered amphitheatre collapsed for a second time, following the storm on April 30th. Philip said it was a  “disappointment” and discussions with the contractors have been “full and frank.”

Philip says the Council has paid out over £16m for the work but they have held back some of the building money and it won’t all be paid until they are happy with the job.

A firm of structural engineers, Jubb has now been appointed by Kier to solve the amphitheatre problem. They’ve suggested a wider base to the wall and the reduction of the dry stone on the facing side.

The footpath has been rerouted away from the wall, which was has been partially demolished, and the area has been fenced it off.

The plan is to finish the amphitheatre in June.

Construction company Kier had asked for extra time on the scheme and Gordon Bilsborough was worried that would have a knock on effect on the Porthcressa work.

Mr Hygate said that it would not delay other works as the work extension was related to paperwork and settling claims.

Philip told Councillors he’d been stopped in the street by locals who wanted to compliment him on the sports hall.

He said that some people had remarked how deceptively large it was inside, adding that he thought the sports hall and school were two very fine assets for the community.

9 Responses to Collapsed School Amphitheatre To Be Fixed By June

1. The Daily Sport May 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

If I was Jules I would have been offended enough to comment on your grammar as well. What an awful thing to say! The real issue is what? Please explain! The contractors have done a bad job of part of the project; the relevant authorities have made/are making them fix it. And… because someone dared say something contrary to your views, you thought it was okay to mention a building COLLAPSING ON CHILDRENS’ HEADS?! Not okay in any way, shape or form.

2. Todd Stevens May 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

Sorry to see that my lack of grammer is being used to detract from the real issue here. Please feel free to correct every mistake I make. However, it is nontheless understandable as is- I refer to the picture above and the comment made, so well, by Boba Fett above.

3. Boba Fett May 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

It’s all well and good that the users of the school can see the positives about its facilities and what it has to offer, the sports hall included, but this is purely about the structural condition of the “finished” project. Damaged floors, wonky paving slabs, leaking roofs, collapsed retaining walls etc… All sounds like an episode of Builders From Hell, or Rogue Traders! If Kier can’t build a retaining wall to a decent standard then what else is in store for the future?

4. Todd Stevens May 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm

No complaint. Not turning ianything into a negative either. Just find items on the snaggin list funny. Heres a negative-You wont think its so great if that wall fell on one of your relatives Jules!

• Jules May 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

My point was that if the response from the main stakeholders is overwhelmingly positive, it seems a shame to detract from what is an overall success by harping on about a ‘snagging list’; especially when that snagging list is being addressed. I’ll try not to linger on the grammatical issues in your second sentence (indeed, I hope that the wall will stay up long enough to allow my relatives to attend to their English lessons without distraction) and will instead restrict myself to expressing a distaste for the sentiment of your comment – it’s highly inappropriate.

5. The Daily Sport May 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

What’s the complaint, though? If the contractors have messed up then they a) won’t be paid in full and b) will have to fix any errors that they have failed to address before leaving site. That’s standard procedure. It doesn’t effect the tax payers. And – oh my DAYS – if this descends into another rant about the Porthcressa regeneration which, let’s face it, has been needed for a long time then I’m going to struggle to contain myself…

6. Boba Fett May 17, 2012 at 10:13 am

It makes me think what the “snagging list” WILL be like for the Porth Cressa Regeneration Project, I can see it now…

“Oh yeah, the toilet blocks will need to be rebuilt at least 2 months after the construction works are completed, that’s normal.”

7. Todd Stevens May 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Difficult to write when trying to contain your laughter- : )
    I’ve been in the building trade almost all my adult life- and snagging lists are rarely anything more than cosmetics and small bits and pieces to tidy up on. NEVER have they been replacing floors or building walls three times!!

Own up the person who commented on the sports hall? -although even this sounds more like a desperate politician trying to find a positive among all the negatives. Keep up with the fun and soon you’ll earn the new title of- Entertainments Officer! Ha Ha Ha. : )

• Jules May 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That’s not entirely fair. I have younger relatives at the school and they and their parents have been delighted with the new facilities; just because you have problems with a lot of things you don’t have to turn EVERYTHING into a negative.