Gordon Bilsborough Elected To Scilly Council

Gordon Bilsborough

The islands have a new Councillor. Gordon Bilsborough has been elected for a third time.

He polled 255, while his opponent Mary Gibbs got 224 votes. 15 papers were spoiled, some with abusive comments.

There was a low turnout, at 37%, for an islands’ election. That number is normally closer to 45% and means only 494 voters out of an electorate of 1350 voted.

Gordon thinks this shows apathy with the system and says the Council needs to take note of that.

He says if he’d been in two weeks ago he wouldn’t have backed the Chief Officers’ basic pay rise. He says the Market Factor Supplement was only offered to meet the conditions at the time and there has been “sleight of hand” in doing a job evaluation and then giving them the same total money.

That was wrong, says Gordon, and thinks they should have gone to a tribunal over it.

We asked Gordon whether he’d back a pay rise for the lower paid Council staff, who have had their pay frozen, but he said that increasing the pay of everyone at the Council could be hugely unpopular here.

Gordon says he is going to try and get answers about the Moorwell Alp. He says the situation is unacceptable and seems to have been going on for years. He added, “It’s gone on long enough.”

He also wants Porthcressa regeneration sorted quickly and says too much Council business is being carried out in secret sessions.

Gordon said it should be Councillors who decide Council policy, but thinks the officers are influencing Councillors, who aren’t standing up to them.

And he added that he thinks some Councillors just aren’t up to the job.

Gordon said, “That’s the brutal truth. More Members have to stand up for what they believe in.”

7 Responses to Gordon Bilsborough Elected To Scilly Council

1. The Daily Sport May 10, 2012 at 9:20 am

Well done sir! A sure-footed and resoundingly positive answer. I doff my cap… More than happy to witness a volte-face if it’s well documented and honestly owned up to.

2. Gordon Bilsborough May 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm

To Jules and The Daily Sport,
    Yes, you are both quite right. I did vote in favour of a controversial pay proposal in 2010. My views, based on advice available at the time, were not well received by the public. Despite being given a high vote at the three previous elections, I sensed that the electors had lost confidence in me and hence my only honourable option was to resign from the Council.
    I was asked to stand as a candidate at the recent by-election and was happy to be judged on my past record. I believe that constructive debate is more effective than negative sniping. I included all this on my election leaflet.
    Gordon Bilsborough

3. Jules May 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Gordon voted in favour of the pay rises last time he was in the council!!!!!

4. The Daily Sport May 8, 2012 at 10:21 am

I distinctly remember Gordon voting in favour of salary hikes when he was last a councillor. Is this correct or have I completely misremembered things? Just curious…

5. Todd Stevens May 4, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Along with the moorwell alp- also top of the list should be to get an independent monitoring officer whom also covers our chief executive. It is NOT acceptable to have Mr Hygate in that role here.

6. Todd Stevens May 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm

The proverbial thorn in the side of local government. Thus is the voice of discontentment. Make them listen.

7. John Hicks May 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm