Senior Officers To Receive Permanent Pay Rise

Council Chamber at the Old Wesleyan Chapel

The Council’s Chief Officers are set to receive a £4,500 rise in their permanent salary following a vote by Councillors.

The pay rise means that the contentious Market Factor Supplements will effectively be absorbed into their pay packets, following legal advice from Cornwall Council’s legal team.

These supplements were first recommended two years ago and given to the Chief Executive and his management team in May 2010.

They were supposed to be reviewable on an annual basis but advice from Cornwall’s Head of Legal Affairs, Richard Williams, is that attempts to remove these payments now, without the officers’ consent, could be subject to challenge at a tribunal.

Last week’s debate on Council salaries was held behind closed doors and was poorly attended, because stormy weather meant only three Off-Island members were able to get there.

We understand the motion to approve the new salaries was the result of a job Evaluation exercise conducted by South West Councils’ Director, Russell Symons. He, like Mr Williams, attended the meeting.

Councillors voted by 5 votes to 4 for these payments to be absorbed into the officers’ pensionable salaries.

Five councillors, Marian Bennett, Ralph Banfield, David Pearson, Brian Lowen and Christine Savill voted for the salary change while four, Amanda Martin, Chris Thomas, Sheila Thomas and Richard McCarthy, asked for their votes against this latest pay move to be recorded in the minutes.

Councillor Dudley Mumford abstained.

Job-Sizing Exercise

We contacted all Councillors yesterday but they were reluctant to confirm or deny how they had voted, with several claiming this could lead to disciplinary procedures under the Council’s Code of Conduct.

One told us he was in favour of the pay rise as they “should have had this years ago and it was the sensible thing to do.” He said the pay evaluation was done “fairly and properly.”

Another stressed this wasn’t a pay rise, simply an “assimilation into existing salary.”

In a statement, Vice Chair of Council, Marian Bennett, says it wasn’t about performance-related pay but a “job-sizing exercise” to say what the particular posts are worth, “should they become vacant.”

Vice Chair of Council, Marian Bennett

From Radio Scilly

Listen to Marian Bennett’s Statement

She said the salary recommendations were “straight salaries” and do not include the market forces supplement although “interestingly,” says Marian, the pay rise equates almost exactly to the £4,500 market factor supplement.

In retrospect this was an “ill-advised way of bolstering pay levels to the correct level for the job,” she says, and there is “no market forces element in the new pay.”

Marian says Council Chair, Mike Hicks, who is currently ill, “supported the proposal 100%.”

However, she admits that the Council should have gone about the process of setting pay rates for the Chief Officers in a different way and says there are people in education and the primary health service on the islands who are paid more.

She says it’s been a difficult time for Officers and Members with all of them being subjected to abuse both face-to-face and through social media sites.

Marian says “it’s easier to go with the popular vote, but that isn’t always on the side of right.”

Consultation on the new pay arrangements will still need to take place with the Chief Officers.

If they agree their new salaries, it means that Chief Executive Philip Hygate will see his salary rise to £88,000 although this will be taken to over £100,000 when his pension is added. He was paid £15,000 less up until 2010.

His deputy, Neville Gardner, will get £76,000 and other Chief Officers, Peter Lawrence, Penny Penn-Howard and Craig Dryden, will see their salaries rise to £70,000.

The latter were on £59,000 two years ago.

Other Council staff have complained that these rises come at a time when their pay remains frozen.

Hygate Makes Taxpayers’ Alliance Rich List

Only today, the Taxpayers’ Alliance has published its list of council employees in the UK whose total annual remuneration exceeds £100,000.

The latest Town Hall Rich List shows Philip Hygate, the only Isles of Scilly Council employee on the list, receiving £104,854 including pension in the 2010-11 financial year, a rise of 15.4% on the previous year.

This contrasts with the Chief Executive of Melton District Council, with a population of 49,000, who earns £101,814 or the Chief Executive of North Dorset District Council, with a population of 67,900 on £107,634.

While Scilly is a unitary authority, the population is only 2,100.

Matthew Elliott, Chief Executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said, “Taxpayers will be astonished that so many council employees are still getting such a generous deal while everyone else in the public sector is facing a pay freeze.

“The Town Hall Rich List shows that while councils insist cuts can only mean pressure on frontline services, some clearly have cash in the bank when it comes to paying their own senior staff. These council executives must ensure they have the moral authority to lead necessary spending cuts, in many cases that will mean taking a pay cut themselves.”

Mr Elliot added, “Households have seen their Council Tax bills double over the last decade and deserve better value.”

50 Responses to Senior Officers To Receive Permanent Pay Rise

1. M Gove February 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm

This information from TPA is a little bit out of date but provides a flavour of the pigs at the trough mentality of local authorities.

Some main findings

There were 2,295 council employees receiving total remuneration in excess of £100,000 in 2009-10, an increase of 18 per cent on the previous year?s 1,941.

48 council employees received remuneration over £250,000 in 2009-10, up from 19 in 2008-09.

506 council employees received remuneration between £150,000 and £249,999 in 2009-10, up from 408 in 2008-09.

The councils with the most employees in receipt of remuneration over £100,000 in 2009-10 were Newcastle upon Tyne and Cornwall, both with 32

2. Todd Stevens May 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Im trying to learn how things work so I could be wrong- but as I understand it the pay agreement has now gone through-as noone brought it up at the last meeting in order for it to get it looked at any further? I must say that I am amazed by this if it is the case. Just as amazing is that the officers involved have the nerve to accept the rise. Surely, given the current financial climate, the right thing to do-(and great for PR) would be to publicly refuse the pay rise over here?

3. Nathalie Gardner May 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This is clearly a very controversial issue on Scilly at the moment and I have no doubt that I will be setting myself up for a torrent of vilification with this post (if you’re not sure what the material for condemnation is, cross reference my surname with those of the councils’ senior officers and work it out), so I’ll start off by making it clear that I have no intention of expressing any opinion about officers’ salaries or the justification of them. I would also recommend that nobody makes any assumptions regarding my thoughts on the issue as there is a good chance that you’ll be wrong.

What I do want to comment on is the way that other forum contributors have been discussed and the hypocrisy that’s evident. So, here’s my tuppence worth:

1) Completely understandable that council employees don’t want to use their real names and, as I said to a family member the other day, I am always very impressed that Todd posts his comments under his real name. However, if you do wish to post anonymously you must surely accept that your post is going to be treated with more suspicion than if it was attributable to your real self? People like to know the subtext of comments and this is especially true on Scilly where there is usually no scope for anonymity.
    2) I don’t think that any councillors’ families have harassed anyone – and if they are on the electoral roll then they surely have as much right as anybody else to participate in a debate on the democratic process, Tony?
    3) Ironically, ‘Dave’, Neville wasn’t a dustman (probably the only job he didn’t do before he was office-bound!), but he did sweep the streets for a good while. I totally agree that it “isn’t bad for a bin man” and hugely applaud and respect anyone, be they a parent of mine or not, if they work hard and invest in an education that allows them to progress up a career ladder. Again, that is not to say that, were I still voting and paying local taxes on Scilly, I would approve of or support a pay rise, but more to make the point that it seems petty to mock somebody, anybody, for progressing. I don’t think that it sends out a good message to young people on Scilly.

I very much hope that should the administrators choose to publish this, responses can be kept on track and not descend into more personal comments that don’t tally with the posts that they respond to.

4. Tony May 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I have a massive problem with this pay rise and its really not right that the families of councillors come on here harassing people that post messages, its only natural that they are upset over comments made about their loved one, but this goes with the territory, you can’t stop the democratic process for fear of upsetting the families of councillors.

5. Joby Newton May 1, 2012 at 11:13 am

Nobody is slagging of councillors…… refer to your post on April 27th ‘Cass’

‘The TaxPayers’ Alliance has a monthly award for Councillors called ‘Pinhead of the month (as opposed to Pin-up) ‘for those in power who have sought to do the wrong thing by the taxpayer’. I nominate Vice Chair of Council, Councillor Marian Bennett.’

This is a matter of legislation and advice given to the council and it is unfair to target individual council members. Marian was the one talking due to the head of the council being unwell.

6. Cassandra May 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hopefully now we can stop making the silly assertion that standing for the Council is a necessary qualification for anyone who wants to criticise Councillor Bennett. In any case, we only actually need a handful of people to stand against certain incumbents to totally change the political tone of the Council.

Nobody’s ‘slagging off’ Councillors and, as I think I’ve said before, posting on this forum is only a small part of most people’s activity on this issue, myself included.

7. Todd Stevens April 30, 2012 at 9:42 pm

“If you dont like things run for council”? – Why? We pay our council tax so are fully entitled to gripe- wether it be to the MP; or to eachother in the street; -or on here. We also have a vote so there is no need to run. For me- this is not about Marian Bennett, or any other councillor in particular, its about drawing a line under huge disproportionate pay packets in such a tiny place. £104,000 for a “Chief executive” to look after 2000 people is just silly. And do we really need a- “deputy Cheif exec” -on a lesser but similar high wage? I think this is a nonsense too.

Also- surely Marian must have gone public on the radio out of choice? and must therefore also have known that her views/excuses would go up on this web page which comes with a place for us to comment?

Lastly,
    If somone wants to come on here and gripe anonamously -then so what? it is unimportant! They pay taxes and also have a vote. Please stick to the real issue people. As I understand it- this poor decision has yet to be ratified and could be sent back for review??- If so-lets hope it does.- lets hope our voices do not get ignored and it then gets thrown out- whatever it may cost- it cannot be wrong in the long run.

8. Rosalie Jenkins April 30, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I have a massive problem with the fact that whenever anything controversial is discussed by the council it is only Marian Bennett who gives the statement or interview. Where are all the other councillors? Why is it always her that gets the flack?

If you don’t like things run for council. I look forward to seeing you Cassandra et al running in the next election. But I doubt you will. You will be sitting here slagging off the next batch of councillors that come through.

• Mike Brown April 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Marian has chaired two of the most controversial decisions in recent history, both were in red papers and both times she used her vote to introduce the changes rather than keeping the status quo, which would have been the norm.

I’m sorry but if you take public office you must be prepared to take some flack. The arguments on this page are constructive and I see no slagging off here.
      Whether we choose to go for public office or not we are all free to express ourselves – that’s democracy!

9. Todd Stevens April 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I rather suspect that anonimity is probably due to the person being a council employee-in which case it iwould be perfectly understandable.

10. Cassandra April 30, 2012 at 9:35 am

I find these requests to get in touch with Councillor Bennett rather silly given that’s exactly what people have been doing for years only to have their views disregarded. Take Mike Brown’s online petition from a couple of years ago for example. He went about things in totally the right way only to have his campaign ignored and blocked at every opportunity.

As for these constant assertions that people only have a valid complaint if they stand for Council themselves – what can I say – can the Council cope with 1,000+ candidates?

It would also help if Dan Bennett et al stop fixating on the relatively small number of people who, for one reason or another don’t want to put their full names to posts and, instead, addresses the actual issue. The matter’s been referred to our MP who in turn has written to a Government Minister – it’s getting pretty serious. And take a look at the Radio Scilly poll while you’re at it – 88% against so far.

11. Jonny April 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

Perhaps we should go for the ‘cabinet’ style Council that Chair Mike Hicks says he wants:

It turns the members role into a full-time job (which it is for some Councillors at the moment!) and pays them accordingly. That could bring in some new, talented people and gets away from the problem of people finding time to dedicate to the role.

12. Selena Thomas April 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I have been reading all these posts with massive interest, and i do agree with Dan, that People should be brave enough and put their names to their opinions. My Father was a councillor for many many years and waslucky enough to be in a position to be able to attend meetings whether they were in the morning, afternoon or evening!! Lets face it, not many of us are able to do that with work etc, unless you are semi-retired or Retired!!(lucky you)!!We put our faith into the councillors that we vote for, and personally i`m appalled that a councillor abstained from voting on such a massive issue!! Surely you are either for or against on this HUGE vote???? sitting on the fence is a disgrace!

13. Dan Bennett April 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I was not actually looking for sympathy, it is just my opinion anonymous personal abuse is not needed in a debate like this, and if you beleive a councillor has actively sought to do the wrong thing maybe you should take more appropriate action as it is quite a serious allegation.
    I think people also have to put themselves forward for election and hopefully the named Cassandra (whoever she/he is) will do so. Perhaps Cass could even do so, although I believe this may require a full name which may be a problem?
    Todd please do get in touch (I am speaking with no authority here but am sure it would be fine..hope so anyway!) I guess this would also be the case with any of the other councillors. You may well not change the opinion but at least you would have tried to take action and maybe get a better understanding of the decision making. If you need contact details or help arranging let me know. Nothing wrong with a debate on here, although if people do not put their names to opinions or abuse I do feel it invalidates it somewhat (who is to say I am not Cassandra?).
    But most importantly if people feel this strongly do something about it rather than just moaning on here, and I imagine the best way is to stand and get elected and get the people’s voice out there.

14. Joby Newton April 29, 2012 at 11:46 am

If people don’t give their name, they don’t really have a voice and why does it take an internet forum for people to air their ‘voice’.

When is a good time for you to speak to Marian, Todd? I can ask her to give you a call, I am sure she would be more than willing to talk to you as she devotes the majority of her time to council work.

I find it very sad the amount of poisonous abuse these forums generate by a lot of people that can remain ‘anonymous’ behind their computer.

It is easy guys just stand for the council at the next opportunity and put your words into action.

• Todd Stevens April 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Quite happy to talk to Marian if she so wishes it Joby. Not sure what good it would do or if anything would change because of it. I already know what her view is on this and I would only try to convince her to rethink and reverse that stance.

Perhaps those whom are anonymous should at least give some kind indication as to why they have chosen that course of action. It would be interesting to know why? Just a basic reason.

15. Cassandra April 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’m sorry but I have little sympathy with Dan Bennett. The comments on this site reflect legitimate and strongly held views and I think you can be pretty sure that most people are involved in some other form of direct action one way or another. Councillor Bennett is very much the victim of her own poor judgement having actively influenced decisions that are going to cost Islanders for generations to come.

I’m also sorry if Councillor Bennett feels she is working hard for no thanks. I’m not sure how true that is given that she recently stood for election to the Chair of the Council which presumably means even more work probably for even less thanks. In any case, if that’s how Councillor Bennett feels and, given the feeling in the community, resignation would seem to be the best option for both sides of the debate.

As regards people standing for Council, personally I think it would only take a handful of people standing against certain incumbents to completely change the political tone of the Council. If you want a list of names I would put forward Todd Stevens and Mike Brown.

16. Todd Stevens April 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm

This site gives people a voice they never had before. It is no less, or more, than Marian going on Radio and saying her piece into a microphone. I do not agree with people being anonymous on here but I do understand the reasons why they may want to be. And because of those reasons, their voice, opinion, is no less valid than mine- or indeed yours. I am more than happy to debate this issue with Marian- the chance simply never arises. I just hope that the full council will not ratify this initail decision. I hope they send it back for a second look and marian will join with the others against it and throw it out!

17. Dan Bennett April 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm

So why not instead of complaining on here don’t people stand up and be counted and get elected for the next council. I know I am biased but it amazes me how much time and effort is given up by Marian (and no doubt other councillors) on behalf of other people with rarely any Thanks. Just abuse on sites like this when a controversial decision is made. Have people thought about a face to face discussion rather than making personal comments here without full facts or even the decency to put your full name?
    How many people moaning here will actually bother to give up vast amounts of their time and effort and get elected to influence these decisions and be prepared to take the abuse when you cannot please everyone. List of names below please…

18. sue April 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm

So when is someone going to organise a vote of no confidence for the Senior Officers?

19. Adrian April 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm

LOL- What wonderfully devilish behaviour. Set staff against staff, this will create staff loyality and dedication. I don’t think this was in both my copies of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I probably have not read the right versions or all the other books filling book shelves on how to manage people. I expect a lot of voters will chose not to vote, we all feel disempowered.

20. Dan April 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Marian Bennett got in because no one else stood, there was no election!!!

21. Simon April 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Whinge whinge whinge. When is someone actually going to do something, like STAND for election, TALK to the counsellors involved, ARRANGE a public meeting GET Andrew George over here or CIRCULATE a petition and its no use saying you can’t do it because of fear of recrimination from on high, until you DO something NOTHING will change.

22. Cassandra April 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm

23. Marie April 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Have just received another email from Andrew George. He has raised our concerns with Rt. Hon Grant Shapps MP in the Department for Communities and Local Government.

24. Marie April 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

I have just been browsing through old stories on the site and came across the article reporting the that the meeting to discuss the payrise would be taking place. Regarding the Market Suppliment it states “Chairman Mike Hicks has said he wants it removed.” However in this article the Chairmen is reportedly happy about the decision. Just a little bit more inconsistancy thrown in to the mix!

25. Barry April 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

What are you going to do about it?

Mumble, mutter, groan, click of keyboards…it all ends the same way, just gets blown with the wind when the next big story comes along.

You need to figure out what to do, because whatever it is you think you’re doing here, or on Facebook, it aint working.

Your ultimate aim is to get the people in power removed, I take it. Well, you need to look at what offences, under legislation, are likely to result in dismissal or investigation at least. It may be that the Officers breach none of the guidelines, in which case your ire should be against the Members for allowing what is perceived by the electorate as a breach of the ‘spirit’ of the rules by which Officers should abide by.

Have you even seen a job description for any of the Officers? That could be an FOI thing. Are such things on the website? If not, why not? Surely Officer protocol should be there. In this day and age of transparency then all the ammunition you need should be there, in black and white, on the web page of any Local Authority. If it isn’t, then you have to ask why it isn’t there, and look at some online resources which can help you, it may be that such info SHOULD be there, but the Council hides it and hopes nobody notices.

It all seems a bit amateurish in here to be honest. If you want to go for it then go for it, stop howling at the moon.

I’m not even local, but I’ve visited enough times and have relatives on St Mary’s and they talk about this. It just winds me up that you all turn the other cheek but still complain.

• Marie April 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

There is a general feeling of helplessness I think. However local elections are coming up. I have also contacted Andrew George who seemed to find the situation as ridiculous and insulting as we all do. I am in the process of contacting the national press. They may ignore me, but I’m not sure what else to do as it is obvious that any enquiries and complaints more locally are completely ignored.

26. David April 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I have no confidence in the Council of the Isles of Scilly, They are making a hash of things, Things need to change, ie: ending Hygates little empire building scheme

• Sadie May 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

Elections are next May, 2013, stand up and be counted

• peter May 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Lead on David. How do you propose to do that?

27. Eddie April 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What was you all thinking politicians will always line their own pockets. with all good intentions a star of being normal average people then realise there is an endless pit that we can attack to help us in our drive and belief that we will do enough to earn money and no better than bankers and bureaucracy of today.

do what they do in the mainland get rid of half of them make do the same amount of work load for the same money they got last year. average people obviously

that will work in the favour of the people all ways

28. Todd Stevens April 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Nice to see people are putting thier full names to comments on here. Well done, I no longer feel alone now that others are showing courage of conviction. The more this kind of thing is debated openly the more we erode the power of Scilly’s tin pot dictatorship over our better elected members and ourselves.

29. Joe April 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

It is almost as if the council are trying to rub it into the public’s faces on purpose saying, “Ha ha, you couldn’t stop the last 18% pay rise, so just to exacerbate things further we might treat ourselves to £4,500 extra a year too! What? Feel like crying? Tell someone who gives a ****!”

Grow a backbone councillors and stop this nonsense. Is it really worth your own reputation and dignity amongst the community by voting yes to everything?

30. Ann April 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

When these officials do eventually leave, please can we adopt a system whereby officers are appointed on a limited term contract. At least they would then be judged by their actions.

• Todd Stevens April 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Spot on Ann- short term contracts for all officers is the way to go. Say 5 years until each review. That will make them tow the line and perform better. However, I do think it is time the top two officers jobs were made redundant. Thier roles can be fulfilled from Cornwall but we retain the rest of the organisation here.

• peter May 9, 2012 at 7:40 pm

You must be joking,eventually leave.Where would they go? Agreed that any new officials should be on “term contract” but must include a performance clause.
      The clause should include a review system which is managed through the Council Chairman and Councillors.Poor performance,let them know,no improvement,let them go.

31. Cassandra April 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Jonny is right, the Councillors have largely abdicated responsibility to the Officers certainly in relation to key strategic matters. The exception being planning where the extent and depth of debate is in marked contrast to the paltry discussion and scrutiny you see of key reports.

It’s a situation that’s evolved over the last 10 years or so when, facing a barrage of new regulations and obligations from the Labour Government coupled with a series of audit failures, the Councillors were basically overwhelmed and sought refuge in increasing dependence on the Officers to ensure the Council fulfilled its responsibilities. That dependence has, to put it politely, been leveraged by the Officers to increase their pay.

32. Chris Peat April 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hugely disappointing to see us council tax payers taken for a ride like this, and so de-motivating for the wage-frozen council employees. Whatever happened to leadership?

33. Jonny April 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Who is in control of this council? It seems like the Councillors do whatever they’re told by the senior officers. Shouldn’t it be the other way round?

We should all remember this when the Councillors stand for re-election next year – don’t just look at the surname, look at what that Councillor has actually DONE during their last term.

• Dan April 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm

They weren’t all elected, some got in unopposed.(off island)

34. Mike Brown April 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Why the secrecy? A simple foi will reveal their salaries and eventually they have to publish them anyway as part of their accounts.
    Councillors failed to hide an 18% hike given to all the chief officers in secret sessions two years ago, did they really think they could hide this one as well?

Is it time we handed over all chief Officer roles to Cornwall? Their C/E took a voluntary 5% pay cut last year.

Even the Local Government Association reluctantly agreed that all council workforces should have their pay frozen for the third successive year. We seem to be exempt!

Why are we so generous? Money to burn?
    I’d rather see those red papers burnt!!

35. Steve Sims April 25, 2012 at 10:59 am

It was a PR triumph last time, so given that the damage has been done why not add insult to injury and do it again. This strikes me as staggering stupidity. But of course there’s the threat of a tribunal, which would be amusing.

36. Marie April 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

How out of touch these councillors are. I am disgusted that I have had a pay freeze while the cost of living continues to rise while they have TAKEN another pay rise. To attribute it to possible tribunal action if the market supplement is removed is non-sensical and cowardly and complete bull. Pure greed. If is was truly to do with staff retention and recruitment then it would fall more in line with councils on the mainland. If this is the way the council are running things they should not be surprised to get abuse when they show complete disregard for their community.

• Sadie May 9, 2012 at 10:39 am

May I just point out that it was NOT Councillors who got this obscene pay rise but the council officers in the Town Hall

37. Todd Stevens April 25, 2012 at 12:05 am

If they are not thoroughly ashamed of the facts above then they bloody well should be. Heres the perspective- £100,000 divided by 2000 people is £50 per person. Its bloody well obscene. No wonder we have problems like the moorwell alp- theres no money left to deal with it!

38. Linda April 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm

There wouldn’t have been any need for a vote if officers had
    graciously declined the £4,500 supplement knowing the public
    mood and the fact that other council employees on moderate
    salaries have to accept a pay freeze.

39. Dave April 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I can’t see how they can do this as if I remember last week the council recommend that local builders drop there prices so they get a look in on local building projects , if we have to put up with this I don’t see why we should drop our prices think I may put mine up £5000 a year. , oh sorry self imployed and if I did that I wouldn’t get any work , not bad Neville to say you started as a binman !

40. Cassandra April 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

What Marian Bennett has done is actually completely opposite to what she says. It’s her that’s taken the easy route and just gone along with the officers wishes. Watch the webcast of any Council meeting and you’ll see her doing it all the time. As Todd says, it’s the four that challenged the received view that deserve our thanks and support.

41. Todd Stevens April 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

We must commend those few councillors whom had the courage to vote against this nonsense. The Fat cats have come to Scilly.